Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Dec 2009, 15:21 (Ref:2595524)   #1
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still able to use the Historic GP circuit???

In the news conference announcing the GP staying at Silverstone, it was revealed that the 2010 F1 GP will run on the current circuit if the FIA don't approve the new one in time. This should mean that the current circuit will remain useable for other events, at least for next year. So, hopefully they are not actually going to remove the track at Bridge, Priory just yet.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2595529)   #2
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the outset of the new propsal's,Silverstone always said that there would be FIVE circuits available.They have never considered getting rid of Bridge,mainly because of the added cost's involved. The bike boys claim that they ARE happy to use it and that non of them have said that it is too dangerous.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2595608)   #3
racedriver
Rookie

racedriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I've read somewhere that all club race meetings would be on the national circuit in 2010, but I can't remember where I read it. As MGCC has run the international for quite a few years now it will seem a little weird turning right sooner than before down near becketts.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2595625)   #4
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know that the HSCC are thinking in terms of a one day meeting in May on the National Circuit, rather than the usual two day meeting on the International Circuit, if that's their only option.
Old 7 Dec 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2595634)   #5
v8dave
Rookie

England
North of Watford
v8dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racedriver View Post
I'm sure I've read somewhere that all club race meetings would be on the national circuit in 2010, but I can't remember where I read it. As MGCC has run the international for quite a few years now it will seem a little weird turning right sooner than before down near becketts.
Keep an eye on the MGCC website - www.mgcc.co.uk

News on the MGCC 60th Silverstone meeting will be on there as soon as it can be released.

Didn't Silverstone themselves said that the rest of their calender will be unveiled on wednesday?

Dave
Old 7 Dec 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2595670)   #6
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Gerry? They're running backwards UP the International Straight. Abbey to Brooklands will still be there, don't worry!
Old 8 Dec 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2596207)   #7
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame the International circuit will be lost. The South circuit doesn't look very good for spectating or photography compared to the likes of Abbey, Priory and Luffield at present.

At least the National circuit remains and meetings like the Classic and 24 hours have the chance to use the "old" GP circuit.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 20:20 (Ref:2596281)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where have you heard/read that the International will not be used?
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:06 (Ref:2596310)   #9
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Gerry? They're running backwards UP the International Straight. Abbey to Brooklands will still be there, don't worry!
Armco overlaps will be changed rendering the international unsafe, like the original brands hatch rallycross circuit.
Old 8 Dec 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2596335)   #10
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post

The provisional calendar I received yesterday from Silverstone has no meetings on the International circuit, just National & GP. BUT it is only provisional!
Old 8 Dec 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2596345)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
When the new Moto GP circuit was announced it stated that the International circuit would be lost and the South circuit would use the track from Abbey up to Becketts/Chapel, thus allowing action on the National and South circuits at the same time with a suitable gap between them.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2596477)   #12
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
OK,I suppose we'll have to wait to see the end result.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 08:54 (Ref:2596524)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
When the new Moto GP circuit was announced it stated that the International circuit would be lost and the South circuit would use the track from Abbey up to Becketts/Chapel, thus allowing action on the National and South circuits at the same time with a suitable gap between them.
Don't forget that the new track needs to be homologated for F1 so Bridge etc. will still exist in 2010. The International circuit has gone but the current Abbey/Bridge/Complex segment will remain. So that may become the historic circuit.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2596542)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Be interesting to see where the announced five usable circuits come from.
Old 9 Dec 2009, 12:01 (Ref:2596604)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stowe, GP (as is), South, Club (Nat) and Moto GP.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 17:16 (Ref:2602427)   #16
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
By all accounts,there should be a license granted for the 'South Circuit' for next year.South being the F1/School Circuit,even better than the International.
Old 19 Dec 2009, 18:48 (Ref:2602457)   #17
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
By all accounts,there should be a license granted for the 'South Circuit' for next year.South being the F1/School Circuit,even better than the International.
Yep-got the latest Silverstone Marshal's newsletter yesterday & it says the Stowe Circuit will be a fully licensed 1.15 mile race circuit, with 2 new hospitality buildings with roof viewing plus pits & garages.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 09:03 (Ref:2602625)   #18
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are you two talking about the same thing? The existing Stowe circuit is not, as far as I understand it, the same as the 'new' southern International circuit, and 1.15 miles is not much more than half the length of the old 'International circuit. In fact it's shorter even than the National circuit.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2602640)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Stowe has always been licensed hasn't it? The South circuit (effectivley the southern half of the GP circuit) was only licenced for testing. I recall days when we'd be out to play on the National circuit and we'd hear the strains of a F1 car (Jordan) in the distance.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2602663)   #20
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I'm talking about the lovely South Circuit. The one that the F1 teams use as well as the School,better than the International.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 13:09 (Ref:2602716)   #21
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Sorry, my mistake-I thought Terence was talking about the Stowe circuit! As far as I know, there's been no official word on the Southern circuit but I have heard rumours similiar to what people are saying on here. The new F1 pit & paddock will be sited on the straight between Club & Abbey so it makes sense to use them for the Southern aswell.

The Stowe circuit is being extended slightly, according to the map in the newsletter, and will be slightly longer then Brands Indy.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2602721)   #22
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Stowe has always been licensed hasn't it?
Yes, although the most recent race meeting held was in October '07.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
As far as I know, there's been no official word on the Southern circuit
Richard Phillips (Silverstone MD) was quoted in Autosport a couple of weeks ago stating that the intention is that the Southern Circuit would effectively replace the International Circuit. The same article also commented on the option of a slightly longer National Circuit using a small loop of the Southern Circuit. I believe MSVR are provisionally holding an event next October using this configuration.
Old 20 Dec 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2602736)   #23
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
They [Silverstone]have been saying that they wanted to license the South for a number of years,by all accounts thats exactly what they have now applied for.
Old 21 Dec 2009, 22:08 (Ref:2603417)   #24
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Hmm. Following comments re armco overlaps, and race direction, which I have to say, I hadn't thought about, it can be used as a race circuit, as everyone will be using it in the same direction. I guess that explains why it was never licenced before?