Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1401422)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Fisi - "Rossi too old for F1"

He makes a good point when it comes to lack of experience and for Rossi to sign with Ferrari at this point, the learning curve would be tremendous. But, you would think that if anyone could do it, Rossi could. At least the speed and g-forces associated should not bother him too much. Fisi also dismisses the Ferrari testing of Rossi as just publicity. Could very well be.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1401431)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The g-forces will be all new to him, but he seems to be there or there abouts on pace already, certainly in the slower corners.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:22 (Ref:1401444)   #3
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes Glen, it would be much different than bike racing with no leaning the entire the body into high speed corners. But he has experienced the g-forces in corners as well as braking in previous testing and knows what he is up against. He undoubtedly is in top condition but will still require a good trainer to help him whip his upper body into (F1) race condition; a whole new set of muscles will be used I'd imagine. That is if the unlikely ever happens and he trys the transition.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:31 (Ref:1401450)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know he has extensive motorbike racing experience - but surely these days he'd have to do some F3 or GP2 races before racing in a Grand Prix?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1401459)   #5
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is supposed to only lap around 3 seconds of Schuey's pace already. I find it hard to believe how someone who hasn't even been a racing driver is able to achieve this pace, its astonishing.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1401460)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ferrari have stated that in the slow corners he is already close to the pace, but loses time in the fast corners - this may be due to the G-Forces beign applied in a very different way to what he's used to. Perhaps he should look at Jean Alesi's 'leaning' style of taking corners and see if he can adapt that to his own style? I'm sure that specific muscles will need devleoping if Valé is to succeed - F1 is a very physical sport, and JPM found that he had to shape up to achieve maximum stamina especially (MotoGP races are about half the length of those in F1).

Giancarlo could be right - very few drivers have reached F1 in their late 20s and shone in recent years (Damon Hill is a rare exception) but perhaps that is purely down to Valé having not had a chance to be noticed in junior championships and given a chance until now? If he does the intended amount of testing, and tries some tracks other than Ferrari's own, we'll have a better idea this time next year. In fairness, 3 seconds away at Fiorano represents about 105% of Michael's pace, so he has work to do to be comeptitive in fast corners.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1401461)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is a racing driver.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1401468)   #8
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leaning or no leaning, there's a big difference between one G and four G. Turn eight in Turkey is four G for seven seconds - four times your weight crushing your ribs, even if you "do a Kimi" (I'm sure he wasn't the only one) and rest your head on the outside of the car.

He certainly is some kind of prodigy though - down to within 3 seconds of good time without any car racing experience at all - wow.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:45 (Ref:1401469)   #9
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He is a racing driver.
No, he is a motorbike rider.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:47 (Ref:1401471)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

One rides a pushbike, one drives a motorbike.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1401476)   #11
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
One rides a pushbike, one drives a motorbike.
Don't be so petty. You don't here people saying you drive motorcycles, you RIDE them.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1401482)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Not being petty - it's just something I've been told by many bikers.

Never mind!

Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1401486)   #13
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
Quote:
Not being petty - it's just something I've been told by many bikers.

Never mind!

Ok, but when I speak to my 2 biker friends, they always say they ride them.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:10 (Ref:1401495)   #14
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
So does this show how easy F1 cars are to drive if Rossi can be on a good pace already, even though he is never been a racing driver?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:44 (Ref:1401525)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't follow bike racing, so I don't know a ton about him, but I don't think he's too old. F1 has a very small window for acceptance. I think it's silly because guys in their 30s can still be quick. Even if someone is in their early 30s, if they have the talent they should be given a shot. No team plans on signing drivers for 10 year contracts so they're no losing anything by signing an older guy.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1401533)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw
So does this show how easy F1 cars are to drive if Rossi can be on a good pace already, even though he is never been a racing driver?

3s off is reasonable - given he's got lots of racing experience.

It's getting the thing on the limit which is difficult and that's where he'll struggle.

I don't think it suggests F1 cars are too easy to drive.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1401544)   #17
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rossi already has some form of 4 wheeled license as he's taken part in rallies before now. Ferrari clearly believe he has something to offer aside from marketing otherwise they wouldn't be going to the extreme expense of giving him a monthly test all next year (if you subscribe to the rumours).

He already has a masterful understanding of track racing, he just needs to point the car at the apexes he already knows. Now, I know it's far from being that simple but who I am to argue with the opinion of the biggest F1 team?
Old 7 Sep 2005, 17:09 (Ref:1401553)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

It's getting the thing on the limit which is difficult and that's where he'll struggle.

And lets face it, Rossi is no mere mortal.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 18:56 (Ref:1401634)   #19
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope he does switch, I'm getting bored of his dominance in Moto GP. However I assume Ferraris tobacco links would prevent Rossi joining them given his well publicised anti-tobacco stance. Then again he is sponsored by Gauloises so I guess anyones conscience has a price.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1401648)   #20
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope he does go to F1. That way I can go to MotoGP races again, without being annoyed by Rossi"fans". Dont get me wrong, I think the guy is brilliant and I hope he's gonna kick ass in F1, but his teenage scooter loving chav-fanbase are like bloody hooligans who belong in a footballstadium and not at a racingcircuit. As F1 is too expensive anyway, I won't have to get annoyed by his people...
Old 7 Sep 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1401730)   #21
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Getting off those bikes and getting into a Ferrari must feel so safe to him. No more risking life and limb every time you clamber onto the bike. I am sure he will take to it like a duck to water.
Old 7 Sep 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1401807)   #22
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fisi - "Rossi too old for F1"

Oi! who says I'm too old?

young whippersnappers...bah!
Old 8 Sep 2005, 01:24 (Ref:1401847)   #23
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old is Rossi ?
Old 8 Sep 2005, 01:35 (Ref:1401851)   #24
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Exactly, I think most professional racing drivers could get within 3 secs of Schumacher after a day in the car, but only the top few % could get to within a second. Then only the top few drivers in the world will make the next transition and get the car within a few tenths of MS. Its an exponential curve to extract the last bit from a car, not linear. I think Rossi would make a good racing driver, but not necessarily a quick F1 driver.
Old 8 Sep 2005, 01:36 (Ref:1401853)   #25
Halsey
Racer

Brazil
Tasmania
Halsey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's 26 at the moment, and I believe he's contracted to Yamaha until the end of '06, so the earliest he could get into F1 would be at the age of 28... I'm not sure whether he'd be able to make the transition from 2 wheels to 4, but it'd be nice to see him in F1 and being successful.