Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Dec 2020, 18:07 (Ref:4020804)   #51
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone name a pole winner whose reputation was more damaged the day he won the pole position than Bottas today? Out-qualified Russell by more-or-less a timing error margin in a car he's been driving all season.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 18:20 (Ref:4020805)   #52
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Can anyone name a pole winner whose reputation was more damaged the day he won the pole position than Bottas today? Out-qualified Russell by more-or-less a timing error margin in a car he's been driving all season.
If you take Verstappen as a benchmark, then Bottas did nothing wrong and is where he should be more or less. It's just that Russell did very well.
I don't see no damaged reputation either way.

-
I think all newbies that rather OK.
Aitken was very close to Latifi, I don't think we could have expected more.
Even Fittipaldi did alright, when interviewed on RTL Television after Q1 G. Steiner said they used him to tow Magnussen to try and get Kevin in Q2 -- because Fittipaldi was due to start last anyhow.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 18:29 (Ref:4020806)   #53
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I spent the day throwing flags at cars at Donington and got back just in time to watch qualifying.

What a very entertaining hour that was. Being such a short lap, even a tiny mistake has a big cost as we saw with whatever-the-hell happened to Norris.

But 0.026 seconds, eh? It's definitely all down to the car. Anybody could do that. Etc, etc, oh hang on a minute this isn't Twitter, is it? Bloody impressive stuff by Russell (and Aitken, actually).
Old 5 Dec 2020, 19:02 (Ref:4020812)   #54
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Simple question for you. Did you say the same when Max joined Red Bull and won his first race?

I always find it interesting how people can give one team/ driver a hard time and others a free pass....
Old 5 Dec 2020, 19:35 (Ref:4020816)   #55
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Russell still pressing the wrong buttons on the Mercedes steering wheel

He needs to keep doing that because it's obviously working!
Old 5 Dec 2020, 19:52 (Ref:4020818)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was fun Q. Well done Leclerc. Top lap.

And good performance from Russell. Starts on the worse side so might replicate Bottas last weekend’s effort. Still, will be able to maintain his usual Sunday performance.

Should be a fun race. Verstappen will go for it, obviously and there is intrigue elsewhere too.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:01 (Ref:4020819)   #57
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That was fun Q. Well done Leclerc. Top lap.

And good performance from Russell. Starts on the worse side so might replicate Bottas last weekend’s effort. Still, will be able to maintain his usual Sunday performance.
With the extra rubber down from last week, is there still expected to be as much deficit from the one side of the grid?
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:23 (Ref:4020821)   #58
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to note LH has not signed for next year yet...
Someone in Mercedes hierarchy must realise if they signed Russell it would save them a good £30 million or more a year in wages!
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:30 (Ref:4020824)   #59
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Interesting to note LH has not signed for next year yet...
Someone in Mercedes hierarchy must realise if they signed Russell it would save them a good £30 million or more a year in wages!
If they did, they would be sacked on the spot.

Not only does Lewis bring them championships, but he brings them brand awareness that far outweighs his salary.

Give your head a wobble.

1 qualifying result and Russell is a world champion all of a sudden. The kid is talented, no doubt, but it takes more than 1 session or 1 race win
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:30 (Ref:4020825)   #60
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are these clowns on Radio 5 ? Jenny Gow “ Andreas Seidel sort of McLaren team boss this weekend”. - you mean like any weekend? The “commentators had no idea who had used what tyre, didn’t know who was out of their cars, couldn’t read Mercedes strategy , didn’t spot Q3 first run used tyres. WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE. BBC ? Hospital radio more like. Are they there on site? What on earth do they do all day regarding prep? Shocking waste of licence payer money
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:46 (Ref:4020827)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Who are these clowns on Radio 5 ? Jenny Gow “ Andreas Seidel sort of McLaren team boss this weekend”. - you mean like any weekend? The “commentators had no idea who had used what tyre, didn’t know who was out of their cars, couldn’t read Mercedes strategy , didn’t spot Q3 first run used tyres. WHAT A COMPLETE JOKE. BBC ? Hospital radio more like. Are they there on site? What on earth do they do all day regarding prep? Shocking waste of licence payer money
Calm down dear, you'll do yourself an injury.

I agree with you. I listened to the Radio 5 Live coverage today out of necessity, rather than choice and it was abysmal. They all seemed very confused and as a result I was left none the wiser.
Old 5 Dec 2020, 20:53 (Ref:4020828)   #62
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Calm down dear, you'll do yourself an injury.

I agree with you. I listened to the Radio 5 Live coverage today out of necessity, rather than choice and it was abysmal. They all seemed very confused and as a result I was left none the wiser.
Me too down South and couldn’t get RTL Really a poor poor show. I am surprised F1 allow such poor representation of their brand
Old 5 Dec 2020, 21:03 (Ref:4020830)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Me too down South and couldn’t get RTL Really a poor poor show. I am surprised F1 allow such poor representation of their brand
F1 should consider setting up a dedicated radio channel. IndyCar have their own and the commentary is far better than NBCSN's
Old 5 Dec 2020, 21:57 (Ref:4020835)   #64
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
The only other family I can think of that did multiple series are the Unsers?

Big Al, Bobby, Little Al and maybe another guy?
Another.....the Whittingtons.....Bill, Dale, and Don. All three, IMSA, WSC and CART.

Last edited by jimclark; 5 Dec 2020 at 22:05.

jimclark
Old 5 Dec 2020, 22:03 (Ref:4020837)   #65
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect the BBC F1 team are not on site and doing it all via Skype and IM with the F1 teams PR. The coverage doesn't get any better when they are at the circuit.

Jack Nicholls doesn't have any understanding of the history of F1, if it happened before he started commentating. He appears to do very little research relying on Google/Twitter to provide any answers during the commentary.

Jenny Gow goes off on tangents and drags the others with her, especially during Free Practice and Qualifying.

Andrew Benson is not used enough for his history and understanding of F1, Jolyon Palmer does a decent job of the ex-F1 driver who can't do it so talks about it.

I am glad Nicholls didn't get the CH4 commentary job.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 05:24 (Ref:4020894)   #66
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I listen to their podcasts. Well, I try to. Agree with everything written about them. I don't get any insight into the race by listening to them. Which is unfortunate.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 05:25 (Ref:4020895)   #67
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On another note, if I hear Russell being called "Mr Saturday" by Croft, then I will put a brick through my TV*. Bloody annoying nickname.

* Probably won't do that, if I am honest.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 10:28 (Ref:4020909)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Bottas pulled it out of the bag in quali, to just beat Russell. Gonna hopefully make for an interesting race between those two today
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:17 (Ref:4020922)   #69
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post
On another note, if I hear Russell being called "Mr Saturday" by Croft, then I will put a brick through my TV*. Bloody annoying nickname.

Insert 'anything Croft says'
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:21 (Ref:4020924)   #70
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
The times are vety close on this shorter lap which I guess made it hyper crtical to be on the track at the right time.

Well,.unless your name is Leclerc! Lap of the season right there!

Several drivers decided that it wasn't crtical and have made their races a whole lot harder unless they can make sensational use of the extra set of tyres. Albon scored a huge own goal there,.Ocon, Nortis and Seb also ballsed up.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:31 (Ref:4020926)   #71
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, Leclerc really put it together there. Didn’t need a second run after that
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:52 (Ref:4020931)   #72
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Grosjean has gone home and will miss Abu Dhabi apparently.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 11:57 (Ref:4020932)   #73
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Grosjean has gone home and will miss Abu Dhabi apparently.
Yeah, I put that in last week's thread as it was pertinent to that one

F1 presser: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...27lFFAM5W.html
Old 6 Dec 2020, 12:06 (Ref:4020935)   #74
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes, Leclerc really put it together there. Didn’t need a second run after that
He would have gone again but only had new hards left.
Old 6 Dec 2020, 15:00 (Ref:4020950)   #75
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline View Post

I sold my TV when F1 became boring. So I don’t have these problems.