Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 7 Aug 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2740954)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Snetterton, Rounds 16, 17 & 18

Plato has been fastest in both practice sessions, AON Focus's are apparently working on race setups so not the quickest.

Qualifying due up soon.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2740967)   #2
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No Rob Collard for qualifying it seems.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 15:48 (Ref:2740977)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And it's over ... with Alex MacDowall on pole !
Old 7 Aug 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2740997)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Top 15 looks reasonably competitive, the last 5 or 6 on the grid shouldn't really be there in my opinion. The BTCC is supposed to be the premier saloon car series, not the clubman Mini Sunday drivers championship, its embarrassing.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2741010)   #5
Pato
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Top 15 looks reasonably competitive, the last 5 or 6 on the grid shouldn't really be there in my opinion. The BTCC is supposed to be the premier saloon car series, not the clubman Mini Sunday drivers championship, its embarrassing.
Agreed, I love BTCC but I think having those ancient cars on the grid like Johnson's Astra makes it look unprofessional. They should introduce an age limit on the cars entered.

Awesome job by Alex, always thought he's a driver with a lot of potential.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:19 (Ref:2741034)   #6
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Interesting comments, I went along for practise today and saw the bottom 6/7 braking much earlier and carrrying less speed into the corners. Dissapointed with the new Vectra turbo engine ...it sounds like a tractor.

The caliber of cars is still strong but I would agree some of the drivers are way out of their depth.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:20 (Ref:2741035)   #7
Icebaby
Veteran

[QUOTE=Pato;2741010]They should introduce an age limit on the cars entered. (QUOTE]

Should that also be an age limit on drivers as well?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:36 (Ref:2741042)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
Agreed, I love BTCC but I think having those ancient cars on the grid like Johnson's Astra makes it look unprofessional. They should introduce an age limit on the cars entered.

Awesome job by Alex, always thought he's a driver with a lot of potential.
Fantastic for Alex - dead chuffed for him.

In terms of the older cars and drivers, and even the pay drivers, I couldn't disagree more. The BTCC is a semi professional series not a fully professional one and that's what makes it so brilliant. Enthusiastic amateurs like these guys have always been there as long as the series has. They're part of its DNA and when people like Martin Johnson get a top 10 finish, the entire TOCA paddock laud it. Long may they continue !
Old 7 Aug 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2741047)   #9
Icebaby
Veteran

The drivers being looked at may find the comment "Enthusiastic amateurs" a bit below the belt having said that I think caliber wise its been a dreadful year.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2741093)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Good start voor Chevy after the summer break.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 20:41 (Ref:2741105)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Steady, you'll get the fanboys coming on and saying that "those guys are the heart and soul of the BTCC, they make it was it is". Which is crap in my opinion. Back in the 90s the privateers (I hate the Independant terminology) were of a better standard than some of them are today. I don't know how John George can motivate himself anymore after so many seasons of not doing very well.

I applaud the likes of Hollamby for trying a different car and the competitive Integra runners, plus Martin Johnson for being so competitive at times with his vintage car.

Icebaby, I'm confused. You slate the likes of Pinkney and Neate, yet are defending the "enthusiastic amateurs" to a degree?
Old 7 Aug 2010, 22:02 (Ref:2741173)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The perception is that Neate and Pinkney have been taking rides in decent cars away from more capable drivers. It's not entirely accurate as they're bringing money and sponsors themselves, but you'd think Pinkney and George would at least consider switching to sponsorship or purely team ownership by now? The likes of Johnson, Hollamby and the Forster team are merely extra entries, people having fun and living out their dreams - and I can't recall any of them really getting in the way of the frontrunners.

Great for McDowall to get pole, in a car even Plato hasn't got onto the front row yet.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2741183)   #13
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How is George any different to Johnson, Hollamby, Forster or Depper?
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2741295)   #14
Subaru_WRX_STi
Veteran

Tunisia
Ariana, Tunisia
Subaru_WRX_STi has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
shame that ITV4 stream is no longer available outside the UK, last year was great to follow
Old 8 Aug 2010, 10:53 (Ref:2741308)   #15
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
BTC-spec cars won't be allowed next year anyhow so that should deal with that.

I'm curious what other 'ancient cars' you are referring to. The performance of Wood and Hamilton's old Hondas (when they turn up) is more down to lack of budget than the age of the cars. I'd hardly call Tech-Speed unprofessional and as Paul O'Neill has shown there's no reason an older car can't continue to be competitive.

The team that has done particularly badly is Depper and Forster, whose cars are anything but ancient. As I recall these are actually newer that the WSR cars of Colland and Neate.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 20:06 (Ref:2741537)   #16
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess that if the last 5 or so cars weren't there then we would have a field of 15 or so cars, which would be quite poor. Having 20+ cars is a necessity in my view.

Regarding the races today, I thought race 1 was quite entertaining, though races 2 and 3 were more of a procession than I am used to from the BTCC.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2741582)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Top marks to James Nash trying to replicate Patrick Watts' 1993 tankslapper into the cabbage patch.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2741775)   #18
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
BTC-spec cars won't be allowed next year anyhow so that should deal with that.

I'm curious what other 'ancient cars' you are referring to. The performance of Wood and Hamilton's old Hondas (when they turn up) is more down to lack of budget than the age of the cars. I'd hardly call Tech-Speed unprofessional and as Paul O'Neill has shown there's no reason an older car can't continue to be competitive.

The team that has done particularly badly is Depper and Forster, whose cars are anything but ancient. As I recall these are actually newer that the WSR cars of Colland and Neate.
I can see a u-turn on the BTC spec cars as the grid would lose at least 5 entries and that is a fair bit for a series still trying to build, plus for what you can buy and run these cars for perhaps more should be encouraged

the forster cars are ex mat jackson so I dont think they are newer than the wsr ones as both were ex rbm cars before mat bought them, dont know if they have had the updates like the motorbase and WSR cars
Old 9 Aug 2010, 12:26 (Ref:2741864)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I believe the WSR cars were built in 2007. The Forster cars were the ones used by Andy Priaulx in 2007 and 2008, and again by Jackson in 2008 / 2009 respectively. Updates or not they are not 'ancient'.

I thought it was interesting to note that in races 2 & 3, MacDowell in a state-of-the-art Chevrolet seemed to be unable to pass much older equipment. In race three I don't think he made up a single place on lap one and then spend half the race stuck behind John George.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2742057)   #20
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I believe the WSR cars were built in 2007. The Forster cars were the ones used by Andy Priaulx in 2007 and 2008, and again by Jackson in 2008 / 2009 respectively. Updates or not they are not 'ancient'.
Almost right. It's the Priaulx 2006 and 2007 cars Forster have. WSR have one 2007 car and a 2008 car (last year's 3rd car). Their other 2007 car has been used solely by Turkington since it's first race.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 19:26 (Ref:2742634)   #21
Icebaby
Veteran

I tend to agree they may allow another year for BTC spec cars rather than run a field with less than 20. Some drivers and teams have done a great job this year in this spec car, Paul O'Neill deserves a works drive next year and carries a huge fan base, Techspeed demonstrated their great team effort to repair both cars for race 3 at Snetterton. The Golf and Shaun are a great addition and are improving the package so cannot be judged on this year. Johnson simply has a car that has had its day so again cannot be judged until he gets into something more modern. Wood has a good car but lacks funding.

The Vectra and BMW's are strong cars so it is obviously dissapointing for anyone in these not to be challenging for a podium in a weekend. 2009 was a classic year but 2010 is one of dissapointment in my view.

It was interesting to see Dynamics miss the Snetterton test when the perception was it was a works effort, clearly its a ristricted budget meaning even this team could miss races if they suffer heavy damage. Im not sure if it has been noted but Matt Neal was at the Snetterton test but in a Mazda Mx-5 race car. At Snetterton Chevy and Mazda had a dealer set of cars on display and Honda had 1 in the Mugen Civic which seemed strange.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 19:38 (Ref:2742635)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Why were Mazda there again?
Old 11 Aug 2010, 20:23 (Ref:2743217)   #23
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the Mazda race car was testing for the Britcar 24hr project that Mazda are doing