Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:03 (Ref:17415)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here we go Peter!!!

A new forum, and not a single mention of C*#!e allowed at all..

So, I reckon that this championship is about the cheapest option for anyone starting racing - perhaps even cheaper than metros!!! My race project - for my trusty MG Midget - may start in earnest in the Autumn, depending on the job application form that I handed in this morning....

So has anyone got any photos, news or past experience of this form of racing..
Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:09 (Ref:17418)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
Here we go Peter!!!

A new forum, and not a single mention of C*#!e allowed at all..

So, I reckon that this championship is about the cheapest option for anyone starting racing - perhaps even cheaper than metros!!! My race project - for my trusty MG Midget - may start in earnest in the Autumn, depending on the job application form that I handed in this morning....

So has anyone got any photos, news or past experience of this form of racing..
Tell us where you start with this one. You touched on the regs previously, but why is it "about the cheapest ...."?

Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:20 (Ref:17422)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen plenty of Maestros for sale at about 1000 pounds, all a bit dented - but they could still race..

After reading the regs for Class B (Migdets, MGB's etc), you could be on the grid with just the basic safety equipment and the car lowered and stiffened up a bit.. Then just develop and spend more as you can. Which in my case would be never.... So you could convert you road car into a little beasty, and probably do most of the work yourself, whilst learning as you go...

Racing has always seemed pretty good to me (better than the MGCC championship), but the introduction of MGF's could be a problem. At the race in Zolder, the MGF was clearly quicker than the older cars - but actually had realiability problems to stop it winning..
Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:28 (Ref:17424)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Friel
I've seen plenty of Maestros for sale at about 1000 pounds, all a bit dented - but they could still race..

After reading the regs for Class B (Migdets, MGB's etc), you could be on the grid with just the basic safety equipment and the car lowered and stiffened up a bit.. Then just develop and spend more as you can. Which in my case would be never.... So you could convert you road car into a little beasty, and probably do most of the work yourself, whilst learning as you go...
Well you may be right, but you should never enter a car in a race unless you improve the brakes. Also the engine should be stripped and re-built, otherwise you maight not even get through practice.

As a minimum I would recommend balancing the engine and fitting vented disc brakes. If you can't afford that yopu shouldn't really be entering a race. Sorry if that sounds condescending. Its really just friendly advice.

However you hit on the very problem that is the MGOC championship. The cars you see racing are definitely not standard in any way and if you are going to modify a car why not do it properly and race in a faster championship?
Old 15 Jun 2000, 12:36 (Ref:17428)   #5
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Only pads can be changed on cars under the regs... vented discs, a big no-no..

I have a good contact, who knows everything there is to know about MG's and race engines.. Plus the gearbox needs changing anyway, so it needs to all be rebuilt with new clutch etc....

But as you suggest, nothing's going to happen on the money that I earn at the moment. And at he end of the day, it's definitely cheaper to buy a race car, rather than build your own..