Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 28 Apr 2000, 07:18 (Ref:5186)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I spelt that right...

Anyway, does anyone remember this car running in the British GT's a few years ago??? I think ADR ran it.. I saw it at Thruxton, which it nearly won. But I haven't seen much of it since. Does anyone know what happened to it?? Or does anyone have any photos??

Cheers.
Old 28 Apr 2000, 23:55 (Ref:5187)   #2
Graham
Veteran

Graham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
De Tomaso. Let me enlighten you all to one of the best-looking, best sounding cars to have run in the BRDC GT :

Sorry, I only have one photo of the original orange colour. And I haven't scanned it coz it's **** .

AAAARRRRGGGGHHH. I can't remember the name of the bloke who used to drive..... ah, just remembered : Thorkild Thyrring and [damn damn damn] ... err ... hang on, it was ages ago ... Vann ... Kristian or Christian.

PLEASE don't say that car is running at Combe this Monday. I will have to be there if it is. I'm drooling now!
Old 29 Apr 2000, 00:04 (Ref:5188)   #3
Graham
Veteran

I've just remembered more : it had a Ford 5-litre engine and was run by SuperSport or SuperPower (I forget which) Engineering or Motorsport (I forget which)

Hang on... I'll dig out a programme ... okay, I'm back with the Spring Trophy 1997 programme. 'Twas SuperPower Engineering who ran it and I was right about the engine.

Hey, just looking at the entrants it is soooooo much more varied. Storm, XJ220, Harriers, Ultima, Venturi, McLaren, De Tomaso, Mirage, Porsche, Marcos, CAE Corse, TVR . Why can't we have that kind of variety nowadays? It's become too big, I reckon.

By the way, I don't think Thyrring and Vann have been the only ones to have campaigned this monster in Brit GTs.
Old 29 Apr 2000, 00:07 (Ref:5189)   #4
Graham
Veteran

I also saw it nearly win at Thruxton, which I think is when I took that other pic. Are we talking about the orange-paintscheme Pantera who battled with the silver/ dark maroon Delloite and Touche TVR Cerbera for most of the race? That was a great battle.
Old 29 Apr 2000, 00:09 (Ref:5190)   #5
Graham
Veteran

Err... me again. The last I heard of it was when it was advertised for sale in Autosport at the end of the 1997 season. For £100,000 inc. spares. "Who wants to be a Millionaire, I do..."
Old 1 May 2000, 13:46 (Ref:5191)   #6
PG
Rookie

PG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it's going off on a tangent to the original, but, don't you think that the Privilege Championship is improving and getting back to where it should be in terms of the different cars taking part.

We now have Lotus in both GT and GTO the promise of an Elise to come in GTO

TVR also in both GT and GTO

The Ultima is back

A ferrari

A lister

A Lancia Stratos replica

Quite a few Marcus's in both GT and GTO

Plus the normal Viper and Porshe

Its a shame the Caterham is a no show
Old 1 May 2000, 17:38 (Ref:5192)   #7
Graham
Veteran

We're slowly but surely getting back to where we started. But it's a cycle. When the championship becomes popular and gains some attention, the big manufacturers come in with stupidly expensive cars. When they've pushed out all the smaller teams due to cost of running a competitive car, they suddenly look at the bill and think "Christ, better get out quick". Leaving the smaller teams to clear up the mess.... until next time.
Old 3 May 2000, 07:24 (Ref:5193)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for the photo... excellent car!! So no news of it since 1997... 100 grand would seem a sort of bargain.

Reason it didn't win at Thruxton - was it that it hit a Partridge out near Church and that it shattered the windscreen??? Is that right, seems ages ago now..

This years GT series is now getting back to the standard of the early days (1996 / 1997) when you had a really good mix of cars..

But how come the GT class at Le Mans seems a bit of a Porsche benefit again???
Old 3 May 2000, 22:01 (Ref:5194)   #9
Graham
Veteran

I don't quite remember why it didn't win. Or whether it retired. It does seem a long time ago. Maybe there are results on a site somewhere that gives the cause.

I think Porsche 911s should be banned from racing. Isn't anyone sick of them yet? Boring shape, boring sound.
Old 6 May 2000, 12:53 (Ref:5195)   #10
PG
Rookie

PG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The British GT is getting better still, a Ferrari F40 has joined the Party.

Lets hope they all get round the first Lap tomorrow.

Wounder if they still want 100 Grand ?
Old 24 Jun 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1014894)   #11
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan,

Think you'll find it was ADA and not ADR. Phil Andrews attempted to tame the beast.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1014930)   #12
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy Wallace shared the car with Thyrring on one or two occasions.

Yes it had a 5l Ford, was built from one of the 39 roadgoing "Nuove Pantere" - was driven from Italy to Britain, then modified to GT1 spec. by ADA engineering. Later appeared at Le Mans (briefly), was taken over by Superpower and modified again, still GT1 but for Brit GT competition, XJR15 front suspension, 962 rear suspension, but still the old 5l V8.

Superpower folded in 1999. The car then briefly appeared in the AutoItalia series, but seems to be (have been?) owned by someone who is more of a Ferrari afficionado than anything else, and had no inclination of putting the car to good use.

My absolute ABSOLUTE all time favourite GT.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1014933)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Last edited by cybersdorf; 24 Jun 2004 at 18:12.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:24 (Ref:1014958)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread is over 4 years old!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:30 (Ref:1014968)   #15
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
oops - how the *ell did this pop up as "new"?

I couldn't resist to edit the title, though...

Last edited by Fab; 25 Jun 2004 at 14:26.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1015940)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Amazing ! PRF, you answered a four years olf post ! Doh !
Old 25 Jun 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1015951)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
like this thread, old De Tomaso's never die.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 15:49 (Ref:1016043)   #18
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I agree, the Pantera has a legendary and still modern shape.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1016324)   #19
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
4 years old, and still decomposing....

I know a man who once owned two Pantera GTS' back in the late 70's. The models before they fitted the wings to them. One red, one blue, both lethal at more than 140, front ends used to get very lifty, and the rivets felt like they were going to fall out too!

They say that Elvis once owned one, and it was such an animal that he shot it.

Early ones also suffer from tin worm in the rear subframe. ZF gearbox is pretty strong too.

Italian style (and rust) American muscle. Crude but effective.

Rob.

Rob.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1016348)   #20
PRF
Racer

PRF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Amazing ! PRF, you answered a four years olf post ! Doh !
Stimulated some interest!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1016351)   #21
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my de tomaso pantera was my favourite matchbox car... white with a pale blue base, and yellow roundels for the numbers!

i remember seeing a maroon one, a late model,(with that funny spoiler at the base of the windscreen) parked half on the pavement in Muswell Hill (Muesli Hell)... any obstruction it was causing had to be balanced against the sheer joy of sharing the sidewalk with 14" rear rubber

gawd i'm such an anor*k
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:30 (Ref:1016354)   #22
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen an rhd Longchamp, Deauville round here too
Old 25 Jun 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1016374)   #23
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that there is still one sitting in a garage near here, in dark blue with roundels, cage, a few gently dinged panels, but probably not been run for a while.

Used to be raced by John Jordan in the early 70's, after he sold his GT40 which he used to terrorise the Anglias and Lotus Cortinas with in the closed wheel libre races!!

But yes, still a joy to behold.

I nearly bought one a few years back as a rebuild project (rear subframe rotten and MOT failure) and for under 10K. Didn't have the spare, so missed it. Dagnabbit!

Rob
Old 25 Jun 2004, 22:08 (Ref:1016389)   #24
simon c
Racer

simon c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dominic chappel putn the ada pantera into the gravel at the second mulsanne chicane in 94 (or is was it 93) on the first lap i think.

imho it was a cr4p car vis a vis everything else.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 22:22 (Ref:1016401)   #25
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by PascaLM
a legendary and still modern shape.
Christie Brinkley?

I drove a couple of Pantera's years ago. It was almost like a hooligan car. Understeer and oversteer at the same time, you could spin the rear wheels at will at anything under 60 miles per hour. Copious heat boiling up from the gear shift gate (the radiator lines were routed through the tunnel and were not insulated).

I recently saw one on the rotisserie at a local car restoration shop, having the full business done. Don't know where you come out at the end when final tally done, but you would end up with a still modern looking car with pretty healthy performance. Rolling Thunder.