Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 1 Mar 2001, 18:16 (Ref:67420)   #1
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes indeed.

Well it was rubbish anyway, and probably did a good bit of damage to some drivers careers.

But we get a series for 'up and coming drivers' instead, 6 rounds only
Old 1 Mar 2001, 21:03 (Ref:67453)   #2
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you say Formula Palmer Audi was rubbish? To see someone delight in seeing the demise of a championship that was conceived by a driver, for drivers is pretty shocking.

It was set up to provide a level playing field, to promote up and coming drivers, which it did. It's just that dummies got spat when the comfort of having a 'works' advantage was taken away.

Dr Jonathan Palmer put a lot of his own money into FPA in order to help young drivers, in a world where almost every young driver needs a helping hand. Dr. Palmer introduced a lot of innovative concepts into his series that established formulae were too scared to try. He went to great lengths to get overtaking back into slicks and wings racing, and look after the driver's corporate needs. FPA provided unrivaled levels of hospitality for it's guests at races, and the kind of sponsor perks that you don't find anywhere else. All for little more than a works Formula Ford drive!

It has produced the best F3000 driver this country has got. Perhaps FPA's aim to rival Formula Three was a little ambitious, but 98 FPA champ Justin Wilson out performed 98 F3 champ Haberfeld in F3000 in 99.

I'm really sorry you find that rubbish.
Old 1 Mar 2001, 23:23 (Ref:67480)   #3
Racer X
Rookie

Racer X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I like it also. To bad it didn't work out.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 09:26 (Ref:67539)   #4
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think its aims were noble, but you have to ask whether we really needed another junior slicks and wings championship.

More by accident than design there is now a very clear higherarchy in British junior championships (junior FFord, National FFord, FRenault, F3) I hope that this clear structure will be preserved. You can see from the umbers of entries for both FFord and F3 thi year that this has to be the best way forward. If all the best drivers race each other in the same category then there is much more interst and excitment.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 12:35 (Ref:67572)   #5
pit rat
Rookie

pit rat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just seen FPA media statement in Racecar website.

Sad to see the championship go, but JP seems extremely bitter.

Blames aspirations of young drivers more towards F3 and FRenault, but at a high cost. Maybe, but then again JP maybe you should have spent a bit more money on getting into the right high profile race meetings - like TOCA for instance. What up and coming driver wants to play around in front of small crowds at relatively low profile race meetings?

Bring back FOpel, it had the right formula and when it supported GP's it was blessed with full grids - good drivers came out of it, just look how many are now on an F1 grid.

No, sorry JP, its time to hold up your hands and say you got it wrong - but sadly the ego won't let that happen will it? Maybe the same ego which in the same media statement takes a pop at Autosport mag and so guarantees the failure of the replacement club championship - which driver in their right mind will do a championship which has almost certainly been black listed by this important publication. What chance has a good driver got of progressing if he doesn't have the press behind him.

Good concept, but badly handled JP - lets hope lessons have been learnt.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 12:58 (Ref:67576)   #6
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stand by my statement..

Firstly, I think the cars were bad - drivers had to swap every week - couldn't get used to one chassis, and it was pretty obvious that some of the cars were clearly better than others!! Winners of previous rounds found themselves far down the grids in the next. Talent couldn't shine.

Secondly, Ok the championships were tight, but then again, those with all the talent couldn't pull away and make a real impression.. I think some good drivers suffered, even the likes of Wilson who are clearly better than their FPA form shows...

Thirdly, And as for management.. I won't start.

I don't take delight in seeing a series demise, but it should have been done properly in the first place and not try to take on the likes of the established F3 series!!

And yes, bring back Formula Vauxhall / opel - excellent cheap(ish) racing.
Old 2 Mar 2001, 13:18 (Ref:67578)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, you're right Dan, in everything apart from bringing back Formula Vauxhall Lotus. Good grief they were dull. Why not just run Junior FFord and Senior FFord then Junior F3 and Senior F3. We don't need more championships, we need less, with a greater concentration of quality. IMO.

Oh, and don't get started on JP's ego. And which one of his championships is still running, is it the autumn one?
Old 2 Mar 2001, 13:34 (Ref:67584)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was startled to see this thread - but only because I imagined that Jonathan Palmer would tenaciously try to keep the formula going and going and going.

It's a shame it hasn't worked out for him, but I could never see the point of the formula. I mean, the boost button was a dead-end as far as a driver's training was concerned, and it masked the efforts of drivers who could put themselves in overtaking positions on merit alone. I confess to not being aware of the chassis-go-round situation, but it did explain some of the performance anomalies over the years.

And while on the television, the FPA could be quite entertaining, as it was a very slick presentation, on the one occasion I saw them race (at the ALMS/FIA GT at Silverstone) they were one of the dullest formulae I have ever witnessed on trackside.

And from a race supporter's point of view, what indeed is the point of another slicks n' wings formula where the cars are all identical, you can't buy a desktop model of one as a memento - should you wish - and the engines are all so darned quiet...

Perhaps the trouble was, the formula was so determined to offer a level playing field that they forgot they had to make something outstanding to attract more attention.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 15:32 (Ref:68143)   #9
Gideon
Rookie

Gideon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK so how many of the people above are actually racing drivers??? And how many of you have ever raced in FPA?

The whole concept of FPA was to reduce costs to the driver AND to offer a competitive race car for that price.

FPA was going to cost £85,000 in 2001. For that price, some Formula Ford teams could only offer you a number 2 drive in the team in an uncompetitive car. All the Formula Ford top drives are bought months in advance by drivers with large amounts of money to throw around. As Dr Palmer rightly points out, if a driver cannot get one of these top drives, then they go to an uncompetitive team and simply complain that it is the teams fault that they are doing so badly. Whereas in fact, it is more to do with the fact that the driver is no good.

I know all the cars are equal in FPA as I have driven several of them. I was easily able to change car with no problems. Whilst I admit at the time I was not the fastest driver, I could feel no difference in the car. Indeed after my huge crash at Snetterton, my car was completely rebuilt for the next race, and there were no obvious differences.

To say that FPA doesn't pull in the crowds to events unlike TOCA is complete rubbish. The FPA cars, when not headlining, support events like the ALMS, which had the second largest crowd for a motorsport event last year - the British GP being the biggest. As for media coverage there is a vast amount of difference between a back row FPA car and a back row Formula Ford/Renault car. The FPA will still feature these drivers on TV and in all printed press material. You don't get these sort of benefits from any other series except perhaps F1 where everyone still knows all about the Minardi drivers.

If it wasn't for FPA, I would not have driven at all last year. I drove in the Winter Series at a cost of £9,000 - when some rubbish Formula Ford teams were offering me drives in the FFord Winter Series for over £16,000!

Gideon

www.gideoncresswell.com
Old 4 Mar 2001, 19:43 (Ref:68236)   #10
pv27uk
Racer

pv27uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm actually sad to see this, as I thought it was a good formula.

Justin Wilson proves how this can train a driver, and he has now turned into a title-contender in F3000. Also in 1999, Darren Turner came close to the title, and he is now a well valued part of the McLaren team, driving the two seater a lot.

The winter series was also good, with drivers like Paul Edwards and Andy Priaulx.

The racing was good to me, produced some very spectacular moments, normally the accidents, like Spa last year when I think Tim Mullen had a monster at Eau Rouge.

I can't think of many who had signed up for this, but Jaroslav Janis must be annoyed.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 18:23 (Ref:68508)   #11
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Well not many of us are drivers (unless you count six laps of Combe in a F Fordie!), but I reckon I have a pretty good insight into motor racing, having marshalled for 8 years now - seen things come and go.. And I don't think you need to be a driver to have a view on motor racing..

I really don't understand why drivers were so inconsistent in the series - and I don't believe it was poor set up by each driver race by race. ok perhaps the cars were all equal, but there's another reason somewhere then..

It's a good concept, cheap racing - but why did Dr Palmer originally state that it was going to take over from F3 and have a european series. Claims like that make enemies straight away, perhaps part of the problem. British F3 has been around for years, and has always produced the best, hence has an awesome reputation.

It was cheap racing, but why?? Well the majority of the mechanics on race day were volunteers, engineers from McLaren for example.. These guys are the best perhaps, but not like other more expensive series where drivers know who's employed in each team..

One question Gideon, what was the thinking behind a go at the Winter Series in FPA - 9 grand is pretty good value. But what else would 9,000 pounds buy?? - a good deal of money towards a whole season in ametaur single seaters.. (where reputations can be built, if the talents present).
Old 6 Mar 2001, 15:20 (Ref:68876)   #12
Gideon
Rookie

Dan,

The reason many of the drivers were inconsistent is because the cars are so equal that driver ability was showing on these occasions. Some drivers are better at some tracks than others - simple fact. Some drivers like slow corner tracks, others like faster ones. And then some drivers know tracks better than others. This is why I was far better when I raced at Brands Hatch than Snetterton as I know Brands much better, Nothing to do with car advantage.

Rumours about cars not being equal are spread by managers trying to defend to sponsors why their guy is now a the back of the grid this race when he was near the front in the previous one. Another explanation is down to the engineers working on the cars. The engineers swap between cars after a certain amount of races. Some engineers are better than others and therefore can help the driver to set the car up better and interpret what the driver is doing better and how the car is handling from the telemetry.

The series had potential to rival F3. The cars were quick, offered close racing throughout the field which the spectators love to see unlike in F3 where the cars seem to spread out in the races and it becomes as boring as Formula One on some occasions.

The reason it was cheap racing was because Dr Palmer stuck his hand in his own pocket a lot. He virtually paid for Justin Willson in F3000 the year after too. He doesn't want to see drivers having to pay thousands and thousands of pounds to race in single seaters as it will just turn the sport into a rich man's sport even more. He makes his money through the corporate entertainment side of FPA - PalmerSport. FPA has never made any money and he will tell you that. Many of the mechanics were employed full time at the Bedford base. There were a few people (engineers and car designers) who came from places like McLaren from time to time but were known by the drivers and that is a completely wrong thing to say. Whilst I was with the team for 2 weekends and tests, I got to know many of them very well and this was highlighted by the end of year bash we attended where virtually everyone turned up.

I drove in the Winter Series because I love racing. It was £9,000 which I could not put towards another series. By then, most of the best drives in other series had gone for this year and I would not have raised any more money to race in something this year. £9,000 is not a lot when you consider a back row FFord team costs over £90,000 and I don't want to race in something where I can't prove my talent. Plus I already have done so in the past an it's got me nowhere. I've already won a championship in an amateur series - I bet you didn't know that... Winning that series has not helped my career in any way. It doesn't matter how good you are in this day and age, it comes down to how much money you have and a pushy manager. That's why this country is never going to see another Nigel Mansell as all the drivers that are going to go far in this country as simply "Rich Kid Done Well".
Old 6 Mar 2001, 18:19 (Ref:68908)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
We're just going to have to agree to disagree about the cars - but perhaps you know more about them - as you actually drove one..

If managers slated the cars for no reason - well that's a disgrace and Plamer should have sorted that out early doors...

And I did know you won a championship, I checked out your website, and couldn't agree more about rich kids getting all the drives - I can't even really afford to sprint my Midget this year!! But even Mansell had to shell out plenty of cash in his day - remorgating his house twice just to race Formula Ford, but he was lucky and got noticed, plus F3 was somewhat cheaper in those days...

You're obviously a decent driver, not sure of your record in FPA - but will you ever really ever be able to fork out the £85k for a full series in FPA?? - where you may then be able to develop in cars with slicks and wings..

I'd personally love to buy a second hand Formula Vauxhall (with slicks and wings) for about 5 grand, run in the Monoposto series and actually see how good i could get!! (another story)

I don't disagree with you on many points, but just feel some things were done wrong (right from the outset) and that's why there's no proper series this year.

So what's the plan this year?
Old 7 Mar 2001, 01:11 (Ref:69053)   #14
Gideon
Rookie

The managers did have a reason - their driver wasn't performing! FPA know all about this but what can they do? No-one was getting hurt. I know managers say this sort of thing because my so called one time manager (who decided not to help find me any money to go racing but to run off with it and break the contract didn't we Mr Allen of www.2sponsor.com but I've got a solicitor on the case and we are ready to take action when I have the money to pursue) told me that FPA cars weren't equal and tried to convince me to go to Formula Renault instead as the hospitality was better in the TOCA package. What he meant was that in FPA his company couldn't provide the hospitality and charge extortionate prices and make huge profits because in FPA, they supply the hospitality at a very good rate to the drivers/sponsors - and another reason why costs are lower.

I too have shelled out plenty of cash in the last few years. I'm still paying off over £7,000 in debt and personally spent over £30,000 in two years! I would mortgage my house if I had one. And you're so right about it being far cheaper in those days and for that cheaper price you could also be competitive. I would talk about cheating in the sport now but that would require a whole new topic.

I had hoped to be able to get £85,000 to do FPA. My results are far better than some better known drivers but as I've not got a kart background and therefore couldn't jump straight into a national series then I don't get noticed. And getting money to race really depends on two things and they are being rich in the first place and having a good trustworthy manager you can employ to push you as a driver in the correct circles. You can make it by luck writing thousands of letters but usually the club racers out there with sponsors are being sponsored a few hundred quid by the company they work for or a friends company.

I was actually doing OK in FPA until I nearly broke my neck! In my first races I started off well until I broke my gearbox and slipped down the order. Then I was involved in a huge crash whilst making up places. The next time out I was running in the top 10 til I had bad neck pains and slipped back but the second race I decided to fight the pain and qualified well. The races were hard physically but I fought the pain and beat some far more experienced drivers. I think I did well considering I hadn't raced all year and many of the guys in the series had also been testing the FPA cars a lot more. With more money and experience I would do well - I'm 100% sure of that!

Plans for this year - well I'm managing another driver and apart from that who knows! I'll keep writing letters every week and keep working hard at my job. You never know, our company may make huge profits his year and therefore I'll get a huge bonus so I can race this year or next. I'm not giving up - other drivers who have never really had the passion to race do that.
Old 16 Mar 2001, 10:20 (Ref:71630)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel some of the posts have missed the point.

The whole reason that FPA failed was because drivers didn't want to do the series - full stop.

If it was as equal and level as people seem to think, then why didn't drivers with back of the grid F Renault budgets who will never beat a Manor Motorsport car in a million years, sign up for FPA?

Because it is a formulae that takes you precisely - no where. Aside from Wilson who got the first and only F3000 drive, what has having FPA on their CV done for other drivers.

Richard Tarling - former champion - no drive this year

Somebody mentioned Darren Turner - the reason he has good links with McLaren Mercedes was because he is a previous McLaren Autosport winner - not because of FPA - in anycase I seem to remember that he fluctuated from the front of the grid to the back of the grid - as per Dan's comments.

I always felt that JP was to ringmasterish with the whole thing, with his 'favoured' drivers - whatever anyone says there are so many cases of weird driver performance.

Richard Lyons went well in the winter series but was nowhere
in the main series. Tarling won it one year - no where the next. Mark McCloughlin - always at the back of the grid in FPA - but front of the grid in F Renault.

FPA never became a serious career path or step on the ladder, once the F300 prize went - the incentive to spend a year in a back water was lost. Career drivers are not out there to just gain experience and have fun , they are out there to win championships that count.
Old 24 Mar 2001, 18:52 (Ref:74173)   #16
farcnield

I see this is a contravertial point!!

But Gideon are you sure you don`t work at JP`s.

I certainly don`t agree with your comment on the cars being identical, that is untrue certainly to anyone who is there watching lap times in qualifying, and race days!
I`d like to take a look at their telemetry!

The initial year was excellent i`ll give it that , and into the second year it was pretty even, but then i feel that JP decided to play God which is just not something that anyone one should, don`t forget some of these drivers had the impression that FPA would be an excellent Career move, but it has almost destroyed a number of drivers careers for which there can be no excuss!!

The only way to run that kind of classs is to allow the Teams to take the cars away on a hire scheme and the engines too. FPA could offer track side assistance and still run all the hospitality which they are good at!

But anyone who says that FPA is fair game is having a laugh!
& Justin Wilson was an excellent driver well before he put a foot on the acc of a FPA car! Nice bit of advertising though for JP!

Caio

Old 24 Mar 2001, 19:10 (Ref:74178)   #17
Gideon
Rookie

Surely it's the driver's fault their careers are ruined? If they were any good in the first place then they would haev shone in FPA, but it just served to proved that 90% of drivers out there are utter ****. You may think they are good, but that's because they've had an advantage all the time previously, and have been over hyped by their manager/press officer.

If you actually speak to Justin about FPA, he won't say it runied his career in any way. Far from it. That's why he's so supportive of FPA and the drivers currently in it.

If you wany to see telemetry, then that's fine. Go and speak to FPA. All the drivers racing get to see their own telemetry and that of the fastest driver in any session. You can go an discuss the telemetry with the teams and actually see that in one particular corner you're not putting the power down early enough or you're braking too early for a bend. Then you can take that information back to your engineer and adjust the setup accordingly. Much fairer than second guessing what another team are doing. Why is it that people seem to think their is some sort of cheating going on in FPA? I think you will all find the cheating goes on in every other racing series out there and not FPA. I'm all for equality - I've lost races when it's blatantly obvious the guy in front is cheating. In so called equal cars in FF1600, I've exited a corner quicker than the guy in front, got a tow, pulled out to pass and then the guy in front just pulls away and I've not got past. Now that's something dodgy. In FPA, that doesn't happen. Instead you can even gain an extra advantage in these situations by pressing the boost button to aid overtaking.

No other Formulae offers a driver a chance to compete on a level playing field at such a low price. If you lot really have issues with FPA, why not discuss them on the FPA forum at www.formula-palmer-audi.com and let you comments be answered by those who actually work at FPA. If you're calling them liars, why not do it to their faces?
Old 25 Mar 2001, 13:46 (Ref:74347)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gideon

Get off your high horse for a minute..read my lips...I re-iterate my point. FPA finished as a 'proper series' - because less than 5 drivers wanted to do it.

Does this means that out of all the career drivers in FFord, F Renault and Class B F3 ( shall we call it 70 drivers?), only 5 were switched on enough to recognise all the benefits of FPA that you keep highlighting......

Facts are facts - 'arrive and drive' series never get taken seriously and success in these type of championship's is always treated sceptically.

Ironically as a clubbie series FPA should do well, there are plenty of 30 something company directors, who fancy themselves as racing drivers. The FPA cars look sexy and the professional set up and hospitality will impress this level of driver more than the career driver. For around 30K this is good value.

Palmer maintains, and I am sure he is right, that FPA never got close to breaking even. In that case it's been an expensive exercise for him and arguably has cost him more than any career drivers....
Old 25 Mar 2001, 19:08 (Ref:74395)   #19
Gideon
Rookie

I am going to keep quiet on this subject from now on because I obviously know nothing about motor racing and how things work. I'll leave it up to you experts out there as I don't want to make any enemies. I'll just carry on doing what I'm good at - driving.

But one last note, Justin Wilson drove in FPA back in 1998 as he had no money. He had just enough to do FPA, and now without that he wouldn't be Britain's Top F3000 driver. So FPA hardly affected his career.

The problem today is that FPA has not produced an F1 driver and 90% of drivers still live in the fantasy that they will get to F1. And now that FRenault has produced an F1 driver, they all seem to believe that is the career path they should be following. Others still try and be like Jenson Button and hope that they can get to F1 by going to F3 and skipping the F3000 step of the ladder.

More than 5 drivers certainly wanted to FPA this year - unfortunately as it is so difficult to get sponsorship, they couldn't raise the backing to do so. And many drivers with the money chose FRenault or F3 because of the reasons I explained above. At least a bad season in FRenault or F3 could have given the drivers an excuse to their sponsors because they are not racing in Manor so how can they be the quickest. Therefore nice Mr Sponsor pays the driver more money and with luck that driver may be able to buy a seat in Manor. If they did FPA and had a bad year, then there was no excuse for the driver and he was out of a drive with no money. Well that's what I am for. There are too many drivers out there who think they are good and are in a high up Formulae but have never even won a race. I say get rid of them as there are plenty more deserving drivers out there who have never been given the opportunity to show their talent in a high profile arena, but are a hundred times more dedicated to their sport.

Last edited by Gideon; 25 Mar 2001 at 19:11.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 21:54 (Ref:74424)   #20
Richard Tarling
Rookie

Richard Tarling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
views

Hello everyone,

My what an interesting topic!

A few of you may know me.......why? well I was the FPA champ from 1999.

You know what I shall be racing this year? if you do then you know better than me! maybe shopping carts!

Anyway, there is truth in all that is said above to some extent. Although most of you are ill informed. Im afraid Gideon cant comment on FPA comprehensively as he never took part in the main championship!

and Gideon im sorry but this is a load of bull!-

"Surely it's the driver's fault their careers are ruined? If they were any good in the first place then they would haev shone in FPA, but it just served to proved that 90% of drivers out there are utter ****. You may think they are good, but that's because they've had an advantage all the time previously, and have been over hyped by their manager/press officer."

There were indeed very good moments to FPA, mainly the commeradery between the drivers and mechanics. It has indeed improved me as a driver as the grid was so tight but how could I win the championship one year and finish mid grid the next? In 2000 the championship went to pot and everybody was unhappy, which was why no drivers wanted to stay on for the 2001 year. Would you stick a finger in your right eye when you were already blind in the left?

I have absolutely no doubt in my talent as a driver as I proved it before I was ever in FPA as did many others.

oh and Gideon, i shall repeat in your own words-

I am going to keep quiet on this subject from now on because I obviously know nothing about motor racing and how things work.

No offence but its not worth getting on your high horse about. Ideed all out there make sure you know what you are talking about before you comment. Its all too easy to fire off in a chat room on a PC.

The main reason for the demise of the championship is one thing- and that is................easy to work out!

I shall leave it at that as i was asked to add my comments.

have fun good luck and remember-
what goes around comes around!
Check out my website at www.richardtarling.com and if you know of any teams that need a good driver please drop me a line.
Old 25 Mar 2001, 23:19 (Ref:74449)   #21
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wow!

This is indeed developing into an interesting one.

First of all, can I express my deepest wish, Richard and Gideon, that you get the drives you deserve and hope for, in whatever championship you find your true niche. You can bet your bottom dollar that the 10-tenths gang will follow your every step, and turn out even in the snow of an early-season Silverstone to cheer you on.

I mentioned in my one contribution to this thread that as a seasoned trackside supporter I was not enthused by the FPA concept. That's something I think got buried in the recriminations over whether the playing field was entirely level, but I hope you would agree that it is important.

Gideon, you mentioned just what a sod of a job it is finding sponsorship. Given the level of popular interest in motor sport in this country, this is hardly surprising, really. And without a sensational package, it's not going to change much.

I said how slick the FPA television presentation was, and it was a very professional production, and shone a very good light on FPA. But ask me whose brands were painted on the sides of the motors, and I would respond that it is hard enough just to remember the colours my favourite drivers even raced in.

Yes, the operation at trackside was slick, and no doubt looked very impressive to the sponsors who came along. But for a fan, a humble enthusiast, the FPA round which supported the ALMS last year was an eye-opening experience. I found it a lot easier to get into the Oreca Viper team area, greet the mechanics, have a snoop under the bonnet of a car, and generally be a politely received nuisance, than it was to even get camera-close to any of the FPA cars in their paddock bays.

I even had a chance to have a brief word with Frank Sytner in the paddock, but wouldn't have even got close to an FPA driver.

Now, that's not good business. I already stated that I'm not a devotee of small-capacity slicks n'wings, being more of a sports car and production saloon enthusiast. But - hey - I've been spending my pocket money on motor racing, including FFord, FRenault, FTalbot (remember them?) for the last 25 years or more. And so while, as Gideon points out, I know nothing about racing, having never yet tried it, and being confirmed in the knowledge I'd be no bloody good, I think I am pretty well qualified to say what attracts the humble spectator.

The spectator. The man or woman who pays for the ticket, buys the tee-shirt with the sponsor's logo on it, buys the model car with the sponsor's logo on it, fits the car sticker with the sponsor's logo on it....

Get the picture?

FPA didn't address that one. Heck, you couldn't even buy the model car for the desktop.

In the world right now, there are about 250 people who are currently employed as Prime Ministers.

There are 22 people currently employed as Grand Prix drivers.

It really isn't that easy a profession to get into.

But if you want to go racing, it really doesn't have to be as part of a career ladder. This very day, one of our forum members had his first ever championship start, in what was his second ever race. He did well. He qualified mid-pack, he didn't collide with any other competitor, he gathered up any mistakes - and was able to deal with those of others around him. He had the satisfaction of making his first successful competitive passing manouvre stick.

And we cheered him all the way round Donington. I can buy a model of the car he drives, and I can adapt it to his unique colour scheme if I wish. And I probably shall.

He has precious little sponsorship. He has a job of work in the week. And we will still have great pleasure in watching him find out just how good he can become.

I'll do the same for you guys. Just don't expect the casual watchers to necessarily take notice if the show doesn't warrant it.

Good luck, Richard. Good luck, Gideon.

PS Gideon Cresswell? No relation to Chris Cresswell, Formula Ford driver in 1984, by any chance?
Old 26 Mar 2001, 13:01 (Ref:74543)   #22
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was interested to read Richard Tarlings comments on this subject as I have been following his career with some interest, in fact ever since he drove round the outside of me at Riches corner,Snetterton, to take the lead and win his first FF1600 race! It seems staggering that a driver can win a championship one year, stay in the same category and only qualify and finish mid field the following season. I have heard all sorts of rumours regarding FPA cars, including tales from current FPA mechanics, that could not be published on a site such as this, Richard hints that all is not well in the FPA camp and perhaps this goes some way to explain his slump in performance and results. Gideon feels that to have any success in other categories such as Zetec you need to be with works teams, Matthew Gilmore had great success in Junior Zetec last year, on I suspect, a similiar budget to FPa. It gave him a nomination to the Autosport Young Driver award, BRDC backing and a place in an F3 team. The car was well run by Continental, but it still needed Matthews skill as a driver to win races. FPA filled a niche in the market but if it is not what the customers want why continue to offer it for sale?
Old 26 Mar 2001, 15:21 (Ref:74570)   #23
Marshal
Veteran

Well, first off I'd like to welcome Barry and Richard to 10 tenths, I've spent lots of time watching both of you over the years so its a pleasure to have you here.

From the outside, my perception of FPA was more in line with Richard's than Gideon's. I'm sure JP started off the Formula wih the very best of intentions, but I don't think it ended that way.

It very unfortunate that the sport we love requires large sums of money to participate in, but it has always been this way.

I hope you all, Richard, Gideon and Barry end up driving something worthwhile this season, in which you can fully express your talent. Good luck.
Old 26 Mar 2001, 18:27 (Ref:74596)   #24
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
The first time I thought there was something wrong with the whole idea was when it was stated that it would become better than F3... That surely was never going to happen.

And I remember watching a race last year, with the champion from 1999 (as above) struggling round Snets in about 15th place. Now there was some decent drivers ahead of him for sure, but it just didn't make sense to me..

Hope I didn't upset anyone by posting this topic, I guess I was looking for a reaction. But I do slightly disagree with Richard's point about stating opinions, everyone here is allowed to speak their mind - and if they're proved wrong and then change their attitude towards something, perhaps it's a good thing??

And Richard, my sprint MG Midget team needs a decent driver (I'll even pay the entry fee), drop us a line if you're interested.
Old 27 Mar 2001, 19:12 (Ref:74804)   #25
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly: Thanks Richard for adding your thoughts. I had a feeling you would round it off nicely.

Secondly: The most important thing about discussion forums is that everyone has the right to have their say but remember that it's sometimes best to put 'I think' before your comments unless you really know what you are talking about.

Thirdly: It would be interesting to know if anyone has changed their views on the subject of FPA due to this thread. At the end of the day, we are all a little more knowledgeable about the subject after getting involved in this discussion.