Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24 Nov 2021, 08:18 (Ref:4085237)   #13
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
2. Beckett's - one panel operator, three flag points (Beckett's In, Beckett's Centre and Beckett's Out). Panel is on the inside so driver's right about half way through the sequence. Controller is towards the final part of the sequence.

In any of those places, if one of the flag points goes yellow, the panel operator goes yellow too - usually at the same time - and the TV graphics go yellow too ("Yellow Flag Sector 1" for example). When the incident clears, *or* when race control instruct, *or* when race control do it themselves, the controller resets the signal, the graphics go "Green", and the race continues.
Greem - thanks for the narrative, really appreciated.

A couple of queries if I may?

Firstly - is it typical for the quantity or location of flag posts to change during an event? In Qatar, there were (IIRC) 26 posts in FP1, but by Qualy this was up to the 40s.

Secondly - in the situation you describe (M21, 22 & 23?)- it seems possible that the light panel may be yellow, but the only flag point that is yellow is after the light panel. If that is the case, is a driver deemed to have passed a yellow flag at the light panel line, or the flag point?

Part of my query is the recent BTCC meeting, where Butcher and Ingram (IIRC) were approaching a yellow flag. At the time, I argued in defence of Butcher taking the stance that racers will try and gain every advantage possible, and that he was not obligated to slow until they 'passed' the yellow flag. In recent days, my stance has changed a bit and I see that Ingram (slowing before the yellow) was actually taking the safer option.
The offences at Qatar cite drivers slowing because they could see Gasly as the correct thing to do (which I agree with). So from I personal opinion, I think I am now reaching the conclusion that whilst yellow flag is the primacy - any indication of a hazard should cause a driver to slow, and that should happen as soon as they are aware, not when the pass a fixed reference point.

I understand this makes the handling of any incidents trickier. A statement of fact would be the line perpendicular to the flag post across the track - but should drivers be allowed to race up to that point?
Attached Images
File Type: png Beck.PNG (9.1 KB, 113 views)