Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2013, 23:46 (Ref:3264063)   #1
spud411
Rookie

spud411 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to become a Motorsport Commentator?

Hi
Well I'm 16 and have just finished my exams. I don't know why, but I've always loved the idea of being a commentator; I've always thought it would be something I'd be good at and something that I'd deeply enjoy. For example I always seem to end up shouting at the TV telling Ben Edwards or Tim Harvey that they've told their audience the wrong car's crashed when it was his team-mate!

I have a huge passion for motorsport, inparticular Sportscars and Touring Cars. I attend as many events as I can, including the British GT, BTCC and I've been to what is now the FIA GT series as well. I have a very good knowladge, (well at least I think I do ) about motorsport, including Formula 1. I could tell you any British GT driver, team track and car! I've loved motorsport since I was little, and the fact that I could show my passion doing commentry would be brilliant for me.

I know that I'm not going to be the next F1 commentator for the BBC, but does anyone know how I'd go about starting at the botttom of the commentry ladder and working my way up?
Who should I ask? Where should I ask? What should I be aiming for?

Thanks!
Old 18 Jun 2013, 00:16 (Ref:3264079)   #2
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're probably better off getting into contact with circuit commentators at local/amateur meetings, wherever is your closest track. I suspect if you annoy them enough and they know you're genuine, they'd help you out.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 02:01 (Ref:3264111)   #3
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would expect that an education in broadcasting or possibly broadcast journalism would be helpful.

Start now practicing calling races and recording yourself. Create a portfolio.
Get involved wit a local club or circuit and see about getting involved at that level to start.

Lastly, learn about what you're commentating. There's nothing more appalling than a commentator that doesn't know his arse from a hole in the ground.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3264407)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If you do it, don't read the comments on your commentary here unless you have a thick skin.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3264411)   #5
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Contact some of the clubs - 750MC as one example. See if they'll let you sit with the existing commentators for a day to see how they work and get a feel for it.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 17:28 (Ref:3264429)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have a huge passion for motorsport, inparticular Sportscars and Touring Cars. I attend as many events as I can, including the British GT, BTCC and I've been to what is now the FIA GT series as well. I have a very good knowladge, (well at least I think I do )
That certainly helps!

Quote:
I know that I'm not going to be the next F1 commentator for the BBC
Yes, they seem less keen to pay for major sports broadcasting. However, if you do things well, you surely can work at the top of the game.

Quote:
What should I be aiming for?
Well, that's yours to decide. There's writing (includes websites), television (includes web streaming) and radio (includes podcasts). Some people do all of them. But don't choose that now, life will tell you.

I also don't recommend you to focus in this or that category. Decent journalists can switch easily ever few years.

About studying, do journalism, of course. But don't just take classes.

As others have said, learn about motorsports. From the drivers and teams, to the different disciplines around the world. All the technical stuff you learn will also help: mechanics, physics, strategy, psychology.

Then, practise. Do news articles, analysis and opinion pieces - on both text, audio and video. And learn from the best of the best: read, hear and watch the best journalists of the world - not just motorsport guys, not just sports journalists.

Be professional: work hard, be honest, be respectful. And enjoy life!
Old 18 Jun 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3264502)   #7
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Contact your local BBC Radio Station, and enquire about their recruitment process, and try and speak to the sports editor as well. Many stations use freelance staff for things like motor sport.

Contact your local paper's Sports Editor and offer to write stuff on local drivers/teams, if you can get bits published it gives you credibility when going forward in your career.

Don't ask for payment from either source, it would probably put them of.

Silverstone has a motor sport college I believe, as does Cranfield, worth asking there, and I would also recommend contacting the MSA direct.

Best of luck.

Bob.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3264542)   #8
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
With some of the events that do an online stream, that have a pdf of entries and live timing, you could do your own stream, stream it on justin.tv except you provide informed commentary yourself.

Record that and develop a portfolio of work?

Networking and meeting and greeting with experienced commentators and decision-makers should be your top priority though complemented by a course in journalism, media..etc. Prepare for a long slog going unpaid when you do get your foot in. Good luck.
Old 18 Jun 2013, 21:31 (Ref:3264575)   #9
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of years ago there was a similar 16 year old who was given an opportunity alongside the regular commentator at Brands.
He was excellent, he commentated on a couple of races at a high profile meeting.
Apart from being fluent, he had done his research and knew about all the teams. Moreover he understood race strategy and was knowledgeable about the drivers history.

There was comments here on 1010ths, maybe a search could help.

He made some of the old timers look vulnerable but sadly I have not heard of him since.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 07:52 (Ref:3265323)   #10
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You will need 100% single-minded determination. That's all. The rest are just skills and all skills are learnable. Learn the skills.

You will screw up, you will be criticised, you will be made to look like a fool. But all of these are part of the learning process. Each 'failure' is a stepping stone. The only real failure is when you give up. The only person who can make you fail is you.

Surround yourself with positive people and ignore the nay sayers. Before you take advice from someone, look at what they've achieved with their own lives. That will tell you how much weight to give the advice. Listen to winners - they will invariably want you to win.

Get onto YouTube and watch all you can by Brian Tracy or the late Jim Rohn. These guys will give you the confidence to go on when all the wing-clippers try to stop you.

"Let this be the mark of true genius. That all the dolts are united against you." Oscar Wilde.

Good luck - although you tend to make your own luck.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3265327)   #11
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
First off, for most of the people you hear commentating on most televised sports, that is not their sole occupation.

Journalism seems to be the de facto route (Allen, Buxton etc)

Ben Edwards was a mechanic/part time racer. I don't know how he got his start in broadcasting but he also has his own business: http://www.entreprix.co.uk/

Good luck. I have tried commentating on races (in private) and i run out of things to say pretty quickly.
Old 20 Jun 2013, 13:45 (Ref:3265464)   #12
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd suggest you also spend some time listening to commentators on other sports. Cricket may not be the preferred cup of tea for some motorsport fans, but spend a couple of days in the company of the Test Match Special team and you'll get a lot out of it. They know what to talk about when, how to fill in the gaps when nothing particular is happening and (perhaps most important) how to make space for each other on air.
Old 22 Jun 2013, 23:10 (Ref:3267550)   #13
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
I'd suggest you also spend some time listening to commentators on other sports. Cricket may not be the preferred cup of tea for some motorsport fans, but spend a couple of days in the company of the Test Match Special team and you'll get a lot out of it. They know what to talk about when, how to fill in the gaps when nothing particular is happening and (perhaps most important) how to make space for each other on air.
This is a good idea. As it happens I love TMS, but listening and learning how many differing commentators do it will help.

Then as others above have said. I would look to contact a local circuit and maybe begin working and researching local club meetings.

I assume if you did well you would gradually progress up the list of higher profile events.

Good Luck
Old 23 Jun 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3268441)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I've tried and unfortunately, unless you have a piece of paper to wave about in front of their faces, you're only looking at commentating on virtual racing, which is more and less unpaid.

Selby
Old 23 Jun 2013, 17:46 (Ref:3268459)   #15
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have no journalism experience , but as a fan here are my ideas:
1: What ever event your are commentating, know
the stats and history backwards and forwards.
2: Never use the worn out cliche"what does this mean to you"
when interviewing.
3: Go spend time in the paddocks talking with teams about
about their operations.
4: Write down and memorize 25 questions 10 words or less to ask as needed.
5: What ever you see S. Pruett do in the booth, do the opposite.
Old 23 Jun 2013, 22:20 (Ref:3268636)   #16
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray Walker started on hill climbing I remember hearing.

Local hill climbs. He used to go through the runners names and numbers etc. Then moved on to bigger events as time passed.

Probably not that easy these days.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3269117)   #17
Liam Jenkins
Rookie

Liam Jenkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SpeCTator View Post
A couple of years ago there was a similar 16 year old who was given an opportunity alongside the regular commentator at Brands.
He was excellent, he commentated on a couple of races at a high profile meeting.
Apart from being fluent, he had done his research and knew about all the teams. Moreover he understood race strategy and was knowledgeable about the drivers history.

There was comments here on 1010ths, maybe a search could help.

He made some of the old timers look vulnerable but sadly I have not heard of him since.
Hiya my name is Liam Jenkins and I'm not too sure but you may be mentioning me? I won the Autosport International Commentary competition and as a prize got to commentate on the Formula 3 at Brands Hatch back in 2012. I'm not sure if you were talking about me but if you were I would like to say thank you so so much for your kind words, they really do mean a lot. I am still here! I commentated on the BARC Finals at Thruxton and have now been hired by Simraceway as their official commentator. (If you want to hear my voice to confirm or deny then here is a link for you! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0VIUsRFPPc) If it isn't me then this is very awkward, hehe but seriously if it is thank you so so much this has made my day!

Regarding getting into commentary I would recommend sim racing for experience. Contact some leagues that conduct live streams who may well need a reserve commentator and push up from there. I started out there in 2011 and had the chance to interview Anthony Davidson at the WEC at Silverstone! The one tip I would give above all is to not give up, it's a tough world and you may very well get rejected or put down but use it as motivation to turn their heads and make them go "wow this guy has some talent". If you don't give up, you'll never lose! Anything else I can help with please let me know

Liam
Old 25 Jun 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3269645)   #18
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, pretty much what Liam said.

SimRacing is a great way to practice, plus you then have something to watch and improve from, as well as something to show your ability.

Four years ago I made this post: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116966 And now I'm commentating on FIA GT and stuff, so it can be done!
Old 25 Jun 2013, 21:48 (Ref:3269747)   #19
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As people have already mentioned virtual racing would be a nice avenue to explore. More and more online racing leagues involving sims like rFactor have started broadcasting their races online, especially now that certain mods make it possible to display live timing and TV style graphics from those races on-screen. I have tried doing it a bit myself and wasn't very good, but some of the others in my racing league really sounded professional and were able to keep on talking.

There are a couple of websites around which racing leagues go to and ask if they can commentate on their races, so see if you can get in contact with them

E.g. RLM TV

Quite a big one is PSR TV

If you start there then (as others have said) you can start building a portfolio which will help when you start commentating on real events.

Good luck, hard work is what you will need more than anything.

EDIT: Oh wow I didn't realise that John Hindhaugh had started doing sim commentating, that's incredible that you got the chance to commentate alongside him Liam! Really good commentary!
Old 10 Nov 2013, 19:52 (Ref:3329713)   #20
danfilm007
Rookie

danfilm007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi mate!

I too am a aspiring motorsport commentator, and I have been broadcasting online for about a year and a bit now. It is a lot more difficult commentating than many people understand, but luckily I can keep talking for hours on end on my own