Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Should Ron Have Signed Tommy Byrne?
Yes 4 16.00%
No 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1 Feb 2018, 19:58 (Ref:3797543)   #16
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Well most people might not be aware that a significant portion of the current F1 grid has been through driver training with Rob Wilson using a Vauxhall road car. If you can't be precise and smooth with a road car it's only going to be exacerbated in an F1 car.

There is actually much that can be learned and to me you can never learn enough. We have coaches in every other sport and I think only in recent years have people come to understand that drivers need them as well. I think any driver that would consider coaching as patronizing is a complete moron.

I'm not a complete JYS fan but I do remember in the earlier seasons around 2005 or so, JYS taking James May around a track in a road car and by the end had shaved 20 seconds off his time.

Jan Magnussen was another who might have had a little turn of speed but never had the mental application or desire to be champion. I think he had his chances with McLaren, Stewart and in CART and he just couldn't keep it together. Again another person that would have benefited from a coach.
To be fair i was specifically referring to JYS rather comical attitude to his drivers, and not referring to professional driver coaches.

I am sure that Rob Wilson or the other guy (can't remember his name..) at least show their pupils some element of respect and intelligence.