Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 May 2000, 06:54 (Ref:825)   #1
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sparky's post about regulations has several responses wishing for refuelling to be banned. What does everyone think of refuelling? Is it good or bad? Does it detract from racing on the track? Do you consider it dangerous? Your views please.

I personally do not like refuelling. It allows races to be won in the pits rather than on the track. I feel that sometimes the race is between pit crews rather than drivers. The drivers are merely there to prove that the cars are strong enough to complete a race distance.

Refuelling actively discourages overtaking. Why risk overtaking and racing when your pit crew can do the hard work for you.
Old 11 May 2000, 13:00 (Ref:826)   #2
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Refueling STINKS!!
Old 11 May 2000, 13:39 (Ref:827)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The bad part aboutr refueling is that at tracks like Catalunya the race would be won by the pole sitter if he could successfully block everyone else out. I agree that it allows the drivers to wait for the pit stop to attempt a pass but I'm afraid we would see only three or four lead changes a year in F1 without them.
Old 11 May 2000, 15:53 (Ref:828)   #4
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

But we would still see pit stops for tires and when, would be up to the driver as to how he manages those tires(and make 'em slicks please). No refuelers being run over. And no fireballs in the pits, do we have to wait until that happens before the rule is changed?? I hope not...it could be devastating for F1.
Old 11 May 2000, 16:00 (Ref:829)   #5
Dannyboy
Rookie

Dannyboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Refueling is worthless and is the ultimate reason for the lack of overtaking. By optimizinf fuel levels cars are always running at peak performance thus chances for passing are limited. What's wrong with a good driver holding up the entire field I don't recall anyone complaining when Gilles did in an uncompetitive Ferrari. Loading the cars up with fuel would significantly reduce performance, speeds which the FIA are so worried about, and increase tire degradation making a drivers ability to conserve fuel tires much more important and increase the opportunities for overtaking.
Old 11 May 2000, 17:53 (Ref:830)   #6
wodonnell
Racer

wodonnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that banning refuelling would initially mean that the polesitter would win the race, but the drivers would quickly realise that they are going to have to make the move on the track. It should produce a lot more overtaking attempts. Whether they are successful or not will be another matter. The problem we may get is that the overtaking becomes more dangerous then refuelling was and refuelling would then be reintroduced.
Old 12 May 2000, 02:37 (Ref:831)   #7
AL Racing
Racer

AL Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overtaking in the pits isn't as fun as on the track, we all agree on that right? Mainly because we think it's too much up to the team if you're gonna overtake in the pits. Well how about make the drivers do all the work in the pits! He,he, then it would be up to the DRIVER to quickly jump out the car and change the tyres and re-fuel the car! That would be hilarious!

No, seroiusly, I'm too fed op with re-fueling, but until we have a Formula where you can overtake I think it's better than nuthin'.

[This message has been edited by AL Racing (edited 12 May 2000).]