Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2255768)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
The top 3 drivers of 2011

Prompted by a discussion with the other half at the weekend, I'm curious to know who everybody sees as being the cream of the crop in the next few years, particularly with all the talk of Raikkonen's retirement at the end of next year (or possibly even this year).

Last year there were 3 drivers who were obviously a class above the rest, and I would say that even though Alonso is no longer in a competitive car, the same 3 guys (obviously I'm talking about Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton) still have an edge over their competition, with the likes of Kubica hovering just below them.

What I'm interested to know is, how do you see it panning out over the next 2-3 years? If Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton are the best drivers right now (and doubtless some would disagree with me on that ), who will be the men to beat in 3 years' time?

(Incidentally, my boyfriend had a rather different view on this to mine - I fully expect Raikkonen to retire at the end of next year, leaving the way clear for Alonso to replace him. That, for me, would cement the top 3 drivers as being Alonso, Hamilton and Kubica. He thinks Raikkonen will retire, Alonso will quit in a fit of pique at not getting the Ferrari drive, and Hamilton will get so caught up in being a celebrity that he'll never quite achieve what he should. His top 3 was Kubica, Massa and Kovalainen. So I'm interested to see how many different drivers are named in this thread!)
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2255773)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton, Vettel, Kubica

Alonso will join Red Bull to get his final pay cheque then retire
Massa will leave Ferrari at the end of 2010 being replaced by Kubica, who will join Vettel
Hamilton and Kovalienen will still be Mclaren team mates
Old 22 Jul 2008, 09:39 (Ref:2255775)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'll be boring and say the same. Hamilton, Alonso and Kubica. However, much depends on which cars are quicker in 2011.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 10:01 (Ref:2255784)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt
Alonso will join Red Bull to get his final pay cheque then retire
Now that's interesting - I always saw Alonso as being much more motivated by being successful than necessarily making a huge amount of money (because the money comes with the success, I suppose). Is there any particular reason behind your thinking?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2255819)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Barichello, Coulthard and Fisichella!

It is very hard to predict, but Hamilton will likely be up there.

A few mistakes seem to have crept into Alonso's driving this season, but assuming he gets back into a race winning car he will show his stuff.

I find it hard to come up with the 3rd one. Maybe Kubica? Although there is no doubt he is a good driver, can he step up to become one of the best out there?
Old 22 Jul 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2255829)   #6
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Now that's interesting - I always saw Alonso as being much more motivated by being successful than necessarily making a huge amount of money (because the money comes with the success, I suppose). Is there any particular reason behind your thinking?
Not really, but he'll get sick with not having a car that can win. He'll also have a rookie teammate who challenges him, causing him to upset the last team on the grid with a big enough wallet to take him.(after going to honda and toyota in the previous seasons)

Wait maybe this belongs in the 2010 silly season thread
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2255852)   #7
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alonso is here for a good few more years yet - I reckon Kimi is going and Fernando will be a Ferrari v soon.

Hamilton is clearly the real thing, and has recovered so well from the Canada idiocy that I think his attitude is improving all the time too.

Vettel will be a major star also.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 12:34 (Ref:2255871)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm thinking that guys like Bruno Senna or Jaime Algesuari (sp?) might be up there by then. But Hamilton almost certainly will, and Kubica and Vettel look like good bets. I can't see Raikkonen continuing for much longer, and Alonso may never get a chance to lead a truly top team ahgain.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2255965)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Apart from Hamilton, Kubica and Vettel are the obvious ones for me. Rosberg is a mystery at the moment. It's as though he's switched off.

I can see Senna coming through. It's amazing how much he improves year-on-year. He's beginning to get a little more demanding, too, which is all part of the process, but I hope it doesn't change him too much. I heard the other day that his motorhome is now parked with the F1 drivers' ones at Grand Prix, so he's obviously got one foot in the paddock!

It's early days yet for Alguersuari (sic), although I see that he's having a one-off F3 EuroSeries drive this weekend, possibly with more to come.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 15:34 (Ref:2255974)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Vettel, Kubica and Hamilton I'd say based on current potential. Nico will be in there also. Although these things never work out the way they are supposed to.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2255997)   #11
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Suprises me that Sutil isn't up there!
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2256005)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
It's early days yet for Alguersuari (sic), although I see that he's having a one-off F3 EuroSeries drive this weekend, possibly with more to come.
My mistake, it's Brendon Hartley who is having this opportunity. Story here. Although Alguersuari is ahead of him in BF3 this year, Hartley seems to be the more favoured one of the two.

Back on topic, Sutil seems to have dropped off the radar since Monaco, but I seem to remember he was good at Spa last year.

I don't know much of a seminal moment the last race was for young Piquet, but it was a nice touch that when he walked down the pit lane after the podium the entire Renault team came out of the garage to applaud him. We could do with more of that in F1.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2256010)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Suprises me that Sutil isn't up there!
He would be if in 2011 all races would be held in Monaco and it rained in every one of them.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2256110)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think Hamilton will dominate, the other two can be anyone...

Like TGF, they just came and went.
Old 22 Jul 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2256111)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lewis Hamilton,Sebastian Vettel,Bernd Maylander...in no particular order.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2256922)   #16
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton, Kubica, Vettel, surprise drivers for me would be Alguesuari and Sutil if he had a really good car.
Old 25 Jul 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2257778)   #17
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sutil if he had a really good car
I'm not yet convinced that Sutil is anything better than a good F1 driver. Monaco apart, Fisichella appears to have ever so slightly had the measure of him. And that doesn't make him a hopeful for one of the top drivers.
Old 27 Jul 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2258599)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Vettel, Hamilton and Kubica if they're still around,

If not, then Vettel, I suspect will be facing the challenge of a new Finn like Maki, Mustonen or Bottas and maybe the Aussie Daniel Ricciardo.......

I don't think there's anyone else in F1 currently (other than Kimi, Alonso and Massa) who regardless of how good they are, will end up as regular top liners in 3 years time.
Old 5 Aug 2008, 04:51 (Ref:2263548)   #19
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lewis Hamilton, Niko Hulkenberg & Sebastian Vettel.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2264564)   #20
BeeJ
Racer

England
Coventry UK
BeeJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hulkenburg has gone down a lot in my opinion of him this season. I see it being Hamilton, Vettel and Kubica.
Old 6 Aug 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2264639)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It could be hilarious, but I suspect it could be:
Hamilton (McLaren), Piquet Jr. (Renault), Kubica (Ferrari)
Old 6 Aug 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2264836)   #22
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
He would be if in 2011 all races would be held in Monaco and it rained in every one of them.
...assuming Kamakaze Kimi has retired by then of course...
Old 16 Aug 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2270009)   #23
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
Prompted by a discussion with the other half at the weekend, I'm curious to know who everybody sees as being the cream of the crop in the next few years, particularly with all the talk of Raikkonen's retirement at the end of next year (or possibly even this year).

Last year there were 3 drivers who were obviously a class above the rest, and I would say that even though Alonso is no longer in a competitive car, the same 3 guys (obviously I'm talking about Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton) still have an edge over their competition, with the likes of Kubica hovering just below them.

What I'm interested to know is, how do you see it panning out over the next 2-3 years? If Raikkonen, Alonso and Hamilton are the best drivers right now (and doubtless some would disagree with me on that ), who will be the men to beat in 3 years' time?

(Incidentally, my boyfriend had a rather different view on this to mine - I fully expect Raikkonen to retire at the end of next year, leaving the way clear for Alonso to replace him. That, for me, would cement the top 3 drivers as being Alonso, Hamilton and Kubica. He thinks Raikkonen will retire, Alonso will quit in a fit of pique at not getting the Ferrari drive, and Hamilton will get so caught up in being a celebrity that he'll never quite achieve what he should. His top 3 was Kubica, Massa and Kovalainen. So I'm interested to see how many different drivers are named in this thread!)

Now Steph you know better than that.

Surely Webber (he is after all an Australian), Kubica and Rosburg will - cars allowing - be the force of the future.
Old 16 Aug 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2270155)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
You think Webber will still be around in 2011?
Old 18 Jan 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2817475)   #25
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well we'll find out soon I guess!
Closed Thread