Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Two reasons:

1. Still images and quiet camera moves look better in 1080
Yes, of non moving things, interlacing can be a pain with fast moving objects when shown on a progressive display.... So it's probably the "higher number must be better" thing that'll help selling the idea to the public.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 22:06 (Ref:2815873)   #27
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don't think that they should do this. I don't have HD and until I do it will remain overrated and for losers.

In fact I don't have a telly, I sold it after the 2008 debacle. It should be on the radio only. In Mono
I quite remember that !

Oh, HD is a good move, it was about time.
Old 14 Jan 2011, 22:43 (Ref:2815881)   #28
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i know a few of sports in N.America are advertising that games/matches are being filmed in 3D. the college football championship was, some golf tourneys are, and im sure the Superbowl will be as well.

so i am assuming that if they are filming sports in 3D then there has to be some broadcasters/cable companies here capable of sending that feed to my home...provided i had a 3D tv.

personally i dont care much for the TV experience anymore and am more interested in high quality feeds over the internet. this is an area i have heard the BBC excel at and is sadly underused platform in n.america.
I know 3D tv is a novelty for now but I expect in 10 years or so it will be the norm for new sets the way LCD/LED/Plasma screens are now. I've read there is a couple companies launching 3D sets that won't require the special viewing glasses either.

The CBC has broadcast one Leafs-Habs game in 3D already, and will broadcast the Heritage Classic between Habs and Flames in 3D on Feb. 20th. I think I might have to pick that day to test drive a 3D tv down at Best Buy or Future Shop.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2816007)   #29
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About time ! Curling has been broadcasting in HD for a while now..

Bernie will look even more creepy..

Icemachine : I think 3D TV is a fad.But that's another discussion..

Will the audio quality be improved as well ??
Old 15 Jan 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2816017)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3D F1 would only be realistically possible when there are 3D onboard cameras; 3DTV is not suited to short jumps between shots, it needs long continuing ones. 3D productions actually cost more than twice the cost of a normal HD broadcast (said by some guy from ESPN on an episode of Click) because it basically needs two teams covering it.

However, races like Monaco and Singapore, in 3D, in a cinema - well ... that would be something special.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2816041)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
. I've read there is a couple companies launching 3D sets that won't require the special viewing glasses either.
Surgical implants?
Old 15 Jan 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2816088)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are very experimental at the moment; they won't be appearing for a while.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2816112)   #33
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah Sony is working on them at the moment, I think they had a couple of examples at CES. I imagine they're still a couple of years away and more like 5 before they're reasonably affordable.
Old 15 Jan 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2816120)   #34
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Even so, presumably that won't make a real difference in how filming HD TV works.
Old 16 Jan 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2816355)   #35
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I think you're right.

Why is it that we don't get more 1080?

Selby
Too much bandwidth to pay for compared to 1080i which most broadcaters use.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2817750)   #36
Rykard
Rookie

Rykard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is good, we had to upgrade to sky+ HD last night as our old sky+ box died....
Old 19 Jan 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2817884)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm just waiting...
Old 19 Jan 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2817895)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's been said that most people would probably benefit more from their 'viewing pleasure' if they paid a visit to their local optician instead of investing in an HD TV. It's also been said that over 2% of the worlds population can't see in 3D!
Old 19 Jan 2011, 19:42 (Ref:2817950)   #39
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's been said that most people would probably benefit more from their 'viewing pleasure' if they paid a visit to their local optician instead of investing in an HD TV. It's also been said that over 2% of the worlds population can't see in 3D!
If you have no vision in one eye, you can't see in 3D. The HDMi cable for my xbox broke recently and while I was waiting for the new one to be delivered I had to use an RCA cable which can only carry standard definition. The difference is amazing. HD is vastly superior, but for the amount of tv I watch I really don't think it's worth shelling out for for myself at the moment. So I'm going to enjoy the SD coverage at the moment.
Old 19 Jan 2011, 23:55 (Ref:2818049)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

We need the races to come back quickly ! HD or not !
Old 20 Jan 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2818375)   #41
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Just a thought : 3D films have become very popular, would F1 in 3D in cinemas (or on TV, although that is taking a while to take off) be a good proposition?
Old 20 Jan 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2818414)   #42
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Just a thought : 3D films have become very popular, would F1 in 3D in cinemas (or on TV, although that is taking a while to take off) be a good proposition?
I agree that 3D has become very popular. However, part of its popularity is to do with what the subject matter is. Some films are actually made worse by either being redone in 3D or actually having originally been made in 3D. Sometimes 3D just comes across as being a bit too 'gimmicky'.

I remember once having to listen to a GP on Radio 5 Live MW (gone fishing), and it was actually quite enjoyable. Maybe sometimes less is more?
Old 20 Jan 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2818522)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

You go should fishing more... that's a fact.
Old 21 Jan 2011, 13:54 (Ref:2818817)   #44
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
3DTV is not suited to short jumps between shots, it needs long continuing ones.
In addition to that, it needs part of the image in the front, part of it in the middle and part of it as background. Otherwise, the 3d feeling is lost. THe typical camera 50m far from the track is unlikely to give that feeling.allows

Quote:
3D films have become very popular, would F1 in 3D in cinemas (or on TV, although that is taking a while to take off) be a good proposition?
Of course! Continuing the topic above, broadcasting "delayed" allows shots to be cherrypicked to make sure all look cool.

Quote:
races like Monaco and Singapore, in 3D, in a cinema - well ... that would be something special.
Yes indeed!
Old 21 Jan 2011, 14:08 (Ref:2818825)   #45
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I'm definitely going to try F1 in HD/3D at the start of the season...

Although Bahrain is probably one of the more dull circuits on the calendar as far as depth and scenery.

Selby
Old 21 Jan 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2818832)   #46
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I'm definitely going to try F1 in HD/3D at the start of the season...

Although Bahrain is probably one of the more dull circuits on the calendar as far as depth and scenery.

Selby
Sadly there aren't any 3D plans at the moment. With 3D, the onboards would probably look great. NASCAR have done races in 3D; although I wouldn't be surprised if 3D necessitated a radical change in the look and feel of the coverage.
Old 22 Jan 2011, 01:16 (Ref:2819087)   #47
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I have a 3D conversion feature on the TV itself. It works pretty well fairly well for HD/Blu-Ray.

I'm not expecting anything too magnificent, but it'll be worth a shot

Selby