Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Feb 2011, 19:20 (Ref:2824720)   #1
renaultbel
Racer

renaultbel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The movable wing from F1

This movie shows exactly how this new backwings work on the Formule 1 cars ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYnUZHjl2Xs

source: F1journaal.be

Last edited by renaultbel; 2 Feb 2011 at 19:24. Reason: correction
Old 3 Feb 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2825187)   #2
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is it a racing car or an aeroplane on final approach? Just ridiculous.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2825189)   #3
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the wing does not close and the driver approaches a fast corner it could end in a disaster... do they have any fail safe systems? should the hydraulic pressure/pump faili?
Old 3 Feb 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2825200)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
do they have any fail safe systems?
Yeah they do.

They are called run off areas, or if you are unlucky a gravel trap or armco.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2825216)   #5
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have a spring setup should the hydraulic pressure is lost, the spring closes the top flat to regain downforce.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2825274)   #6
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure the default position should there be a loss of control of the wing is closed. They're not that thick.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2825278)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The flap defaults to the normal full downforce position in the event of an hydraulic or electrical failure.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 21:01 (Ref:2825353)   #8
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The flap defaults to the normal full downforce position in the event of an hydraulic or electrical failure.
Sounds tailor made for Webber's Valencia move to be repeated..... the car behind hits the KERS as the guy in front has his wing go to full deflection from flat should grab a few peoples attention.

(Maybe Felipe should try that one if Ferrari give him the 'Fernando is quicker line'......)
Old 3 Feb 2011, 21:14 (Ref:2825360)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Sounds tailor made for Webber's Valencia move to be repeated..... the car behind hits the KERS as the guy in front has his wing go to full deflection from flat should grab a few peoples attention.
Why would the driver ahead put his wing down when someone was hitting KERS? One will be at the end of the straight, one at the beginning.
If you are refering to a wing failure, well the driver ahead could have a engine failure, or complete wing failure, or puncture.

Or shall we just get rid of any speed differential?

I dare say a driver like Webber won't pay attention when he hits the KERS button.
Quote:
(Maybe Felipe should try that one if Ferrari give him the 'Fernando is quicker line'......)
Perhaps, except team orders are fully kosher again.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2825387)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89266

so the rules are saying that the wing can only be used (during the race) in a specified zone at the end of the main long straight...dont we already see most of the overtaking moves in these braking zones already? im not sure i see the point of making overtaking easier here and ignoring the problem over the rest of the lap other than i might be inclined to pick a different grandstand to sit in during the Canadian GP.

it would be nice if the teams could work together during winter testing to showcase the benefits of this wing or tweak the system as opposed to fiddling around with over the course of the season.

Last edited by chillibowl; 3 Feb 2011 at 22:09.
Old 3 Feb 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2825415)   #11
manwell
Racer

manwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So ive read all about the movable wing, certain overtaking zones at each track, only can be activated when within 1 second of the car in front.

My question is, say Alonso comes up behind Vettel, gets to within 1 second, activates the movable wing in the overtaking zone.
As soon as Alonsos nose gets in front of Vettels, can Vettel then activate his wing as he would then be the driver behind?
Old 3 Feb 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2825432)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwell View Post

My question is, say Alonso comes up behind Vettel, gets to within 1 second, activates the movable wing in the overtaking zone.
As soon as Alonsos nose gets in front of Vettels, can Vettel then activate his wing as he would then be the driver behind?
Technically, yes. In practice, probably not.

By the time Alonso has overtaken Vettel (as unlikely as that may be ) in the 600 metre zone at the end of the straight, both of them will then be thinking about how they are going to slow down. Operating the brake pedal then cancels the movable wing function.

I think that having the 600 metre zone is specifically to allow just enough distance for one overtaking move.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2825690)   #13
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a stupid idea this is.

Not movable wings, but the regulations about when they can be used.

F1 is making a mockery of proper motorsport.

On the plus side, I gain 3 hours per weekend this year!!
Old 4 Feb 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2825735)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
Is it a racing car or an aeroplane on final approach? Just ridiculous.

I think you will find that idea includes both....
Old 4 Feb 2011, 17:10 (Ref:2825791)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson View Post

And what's that then? Because one man's meat is another man's poison.

Some would say that cars shouldn't have 'wings' at all.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2825803)   #16
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What a stupid idea this is.

Not movable wings, but the regulations about when they can be used.

On the plus side, I gain 3 hours per weekend this year!!
I agree that the FIA rules about when and where it can be used are ridiculous. They also add a lot of extra button pushing for the drivers.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2825811)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by willb View Post
I agree that the FIA rules about when and where it can be used are ridiculous.
The rules may be adjusted so that the drivers can use the wing all of the time, not at all or something more appropriate that's in between. Give it chance.

Quote:
They also add a lot of extra button pushing for the drivers.
Poor things. Could get a blister or something.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2825841)   #18
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I agree that the FIA rules about when and where it can be used are ridiculous. They also add a lot of extra button pushing for the drivers.
I too think it's absurd, I thought the per lap time limit on using KERS was silly and artificial but that was simple and logical compared to this farce.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2825880)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I guess it would have been easy to allow KERS to be used when and where the driver wanted to use it. But then we would have had a championship won by the car with the best KERS. Some would have liked that, I guess.

At least everyone can afford a movable flap, and its implementation is still open to adjustment.

Pirelli are also currently 'dicking around' with the tyres. But if you don't want them to be "artificial", they can also make some that can last a whole weekend!
Old 4 Feb 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2825890)   #20
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
And what's that then? Because one man's meat is another man's poison.
It's just artificial and I hate artificial.

F1 is the Katie Price of the motorsport world.

Infact I'd go as far as saying that F1 is now an anti-motorsport.

And yes, Pirelli should stop dicking about making tyres that suit the show rather than the best they are capable of. I bet if they put their best into it they could make a tyre that lasted a few race weekends.

What really annoys me now is that F1 doesn't add anything to the world any more. It's not pushing boundries, it's all about "the show" - they're selling a entertainment package now rather than racing to prove who has the best ideas.

It's a whole load of crap.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2825905)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Many things in F1 have been "artificial". Even back in the fifties, if your car broke down, you jumped in your team mates!

Quote:
Steady on now! Although......

Quote:
That's blown it!

Quote:
And yes, Pirelli should stop dicking about making tyres that suit the show rather than the best they are capable of. I bet if they put their best into it they could make a tyre that lasted a few race weekends.
I bet they could. But then imagine what all the focus of a race weekend would be on.

Quote:
What really annoys me now is that F1 doesn't add anything to the world any more. It's not pushing boundries, it's all about "the show" - they're selling a entertainment package now rather than racing to prove who has the best ideas.
I don't think that F1 really did add much to the world from a technical point of view. Speeding things up a bit, maybe. Added....not really.

Quote:
There goes the neighbourhood!

Last edited by Marbot; 4 Feb 2011 at 20:24.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 21:57 (Ref:2825934)   #22
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think that F1 really did add much to the world from a technical point of view. Speeding things up a bit, maybe. Added....not really.
Whats the point of all this "road relevant" and "going green" bull****, then?
Just to please very small but noisy lobby groups?
Old 4 Feb 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2825944)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man View Post
Whats the point of all this "road relevant" and "going green" bull****, then?
Just to please very small but noisy lobby groups?
It's just lip service; F1 has never been about green. The nearest it has come to going green is having a few cars liveried in British racing green.
Old 4 Feb 2011, 23:41 (Ref:2825976)   #24
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
Many things in F1 have been "artificial". Even back in the fifties, if your car broke down, you jumped in your team mates
I don't see that as artificial, just sensible team play. It also wasn't as common as you make out, only the clear #1 drivers had this privilege, just the Fangios and Mosses.

Quote:
I think it's had a huge impact in the past, although not necessarily directly. It was, essentially a huge research and development exercise and through it so many interesting and useful technologies, methods of manufacture and construction were developed.

Not any more though, F1 has very much lost it's way. In my opinion, it is having an identity crisis.. granted, a lot of other motorsports are too, probably mostly because the FIA seem to have lost their way over the last decade.

I hate this façade that F1 is trying to become more cost-effective/green/enviromentally friendly (delete as appropriate) I honestly don't know what they are trying to achieve with all of the changes of late.

Personally, I really miss the days where after a season long battle, Ferrari and Mclaren would turn up at Suzuka having done 10 straight days of testing at their chosen venus.. Special qualifying engines fitted, the cars would go out and qualify just a few 10ths apart.

It was bloody brilliant!
Old 5 Feb 2011, 02:40 (Ref:2825996)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

I think I am about where you ate except I don't have your faith in Pirelli's ability to produce a lasting tyre.

F1 has become a cynical parody of motor racing!