Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 10 Feb 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2828991)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford vs Ferrari - A battle over the F150 name

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89369

''American car maker Ford is suing Ferrari for a trademark infringement over the use of the F150 name for its latest Formula 1 car.

According to Ford, Ferrari has used the name "in order to capitalise on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark".''

Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2828996)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I made the mistake of buying a Ferrari F-150 this morning and there's just no room for that dead deer I shot.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2828998)   #3
E-racer
Rookie

Sweden
London
E-racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I'm sure that Ferrari likes its F1 car to be confused with a truck

Hasn't Ford got better things to do?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2828999)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You have got to be kidding.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:15 (Ref:2829005)   #5
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford could do with the cash. Maybe they are still annoyed over Enzo and the GT40 arguement.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 11:21 (Ref:2829011)   #6
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford has already had it's revenge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RNbbDRdvBw&
Old 10 Feb 2011, 12:08 (Ref:2829026)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Is this even F1 news?

Selby
Old 10 Feb 2011, 12:37 (Ref:2829040)   #8
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I seem to remember that trademarks infringements can only be valid if you sell something under that name. Since Ferrari don't sell their cars I wonder what all the fuss is about.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2829089)   #9
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
they will no doubt use it as an advertising tool in both their dealerships and stores in the USA. its a legitimate grip imo.

and besides why not sue...Phillip Morris has deep smelly pockets.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2829113)   #10
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah these seems to be clutching at straws from Ford. How on earth are they going to prove that Ferrari has used the name "in order to capitalise on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark"?

Maybe Ferrari will confess to it. "Well, sales were dwindling a little, so we thought that by naming our new F1 car the F150, we could make people who walk into a Ford dealership to buy a pickup truck suddenly decide that they were better off selling their children and buying a Ferrari instead. Subliminal messaging you see."
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:32 (Ref:2829127)   #11
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Let see if this is enough for Ford to stop crying:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOSPORT.com
Ferrari rebrands car after dispute

Ferrari has officially renamed its new Formula 1 car the 'F150th Italia' as an act of good faith to avoid confusion with Ford, in the wake of the American car company going to court over what it claims is a trademark infringement.
(Source)
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2829128)   #12
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on Ferrari. Hopefully that should nip it all in the bud. If anything Ford have shot themselves in the foot a little here as now every commentator in the world who has to refer to the Ferrari as the F150th Italia is going to resent them!

Still at least it isn't the F150th Anniversary of the Unification of the Glorious Italian Nation. So every cloud and all that!
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:38 (Ref:2829129)   #13
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F150th Italia...Just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2829139)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
F150, a state of the art Formula 1 car built by the legendary Ferrari, a boys dream.
F-150, a relatively modern pick-up truck built by the legendary Ford, a rednecks dream.

Yes, Ferrari are definitely mooching off the reputation of Ford's trademark there!

I guess they're too blind to notice the - in F-150, and the lack thereof in F150...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 10 Feb 2011 at 15:53.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:50 (Ref:2829143)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
First it was Lotus Renault and Team Lotus. Now its Ford F150 and Ferrari F150. Just goes to show you how imaginatively deficient people in Formula One are doesn't it. They would rather engage in litigation to plagiarize a name than think of a new one ! Totally bonkers.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 15:51 (Ref:2829146)   #16
Alex777
Rookie

Alex777 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari now called 'F150th Italia'

Source: http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/0...-car-name.html

Ferrari has changed the name of its 2011 Formula One car. It come out on Thursday that Ford is suing the legendary Italian marque after Ferrari called this year's single seater F150. The name was a tribute to the 150th anniversary of Italian alliance, but Ford owns the trademark to F-150 for its famous pickup truck model.

"As if anyone would mistake an F1 car for a Ford truck... "
Old 10 Feb 2011, 16:08 (Ref:2829153)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex777 View Post
"As if anyone would mistake an F1 car for a Ford truck... "
Did you ever see the '07 Honda?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 16:40 (Ref:2829182)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think the old Ford/Ferrari rivalry thing would be a great story. Sadly I doubt it in this case.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 18:05 (Ref:2829215)   #19
ztnedman1
Racer

United States
Tennessee
ztnedman1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Yeah these seems to be clutching at straws from Ford. How on earth are they going to prove that Ferrari has used the name "in order to capitalise on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark"?

Maybe Ferrari will confess to it. "Well, sales were dwindling a little, so we thought that by naming our new F1 car the F150, we could make people who walk into a Ford dealership to buy a pickup truck suddenly decide that they were better off selling their children and buying a Ferrari instead. Subliminal messaging you see."
Ferrari is majority owned by Fiat(85%). Fiat owns a stake in Chrysler(25%).

It is a long shot, but internet search could link Chrysler and F150 from Ferrari in weird instances. Far fetched, yes, but it is plausible.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2829235)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Back in the early sixties, Ford had the opportunity to buy Ferrari. But Ferrari backed out at the last minute, and were bought by Fiat. So no hard feelings there then.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2829280)   #21
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I saw the Ferrari F150 name for the first time I immediately thought of Ford F-150 so maybe there is something in there...
And I hate that name for a new ferrari racer as whenever I hear it or read it I have a pick up in my mind.
I actually think it's a good ad for a ford.
For me Ford suing Ferrari is more like a marketing move rather than a dispute.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 20:48 (Ref:2829314)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Alain Prost once said: "a truck would be easier to drive than this car".

The 643 was a complete disaster! But it was also a very good looking car. Maybe that was the car they should have called F-150 ?

Old 11 Feb 2011, 02:47 (Ref:2829451)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is so nothing this story.... What next I wonder......
Old 11 Feb 2011, 02:55 (Ref:2829453)   #24
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason for the suit probably has more to due with the laws about trademarks than any monetary loss or reputation loss and is not something being done trivially by Ford. If Ford did not sue over Ferrari using F150 they would have possibly lost the trademark rights to the F-150 name Coca-Cola is very stringent over the use of the names Coca-cola and Coke. If they allowed Coke to be used for anything other than their own product than they would lose the trademark rights to it. If you order a coke to drink you will get Coca-Cola and not Pepsi, RC, or some other brand. Coca-Cola cannot trademark the word "Cola" as many other soft drink manufacturers use it in the name of their products. Two names of products that entered general use because their use wasn't properly protected are escalator and elevator.

Ford and Coca-Cola are not the only companies that threaten suit over anyone using the name of one of their products or intellectual property. See Formula ones threats over youtube postings or Gamesworkshop ordering free content posted by people who created it to enhance their games removed from the internet.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 03:07 (Ref:2829455)   #25
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the reason for the suit is that it got Ford a bit of relatively cheap publicity. Certainly cheaper than a Superbowl ad.

Ferrari then extended the news cycle by changing the name and drawing more attention to their product. Bit of a win/win.