Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2022, 08:25 (Ref:4100006)   #2926
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Comments (here and elsewhere) remind me of:
Old 24 Feb 2022, 09:39 (Ref:4100020)   #2927
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I cant see Russia happening.
I dont think anyone would want it to
Old 24 Feb 2022, 09:42 (Ref:4100022)   #2928
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
You're right. It's events like today that make me realise I know so little about the world beyond work, and I'm in a job that is so time-intensive but also so gloriously unimportant in the grand scheme of things that I know nothing at all!

The radio news first thing this morning was very sobering.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 24 Feb 2022, 12:46 (Ref:4100050)   #2929
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel will boycott the race in Sochi.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/ve...asion/8458124/
Old 24 Feb 2022, 13:03 (Ref:4100052)   #2930
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He remains my favorite. Well done sir.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 13:15 (Ref:4100055)   #2931
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The question is if his team will feel the same. This could go drag on for a bit before another announcement is made
Old 24 Feb 2022, 13:26 (Ref:4100061)   #2932
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I dont think anyone is claiming to be an expert but we can all either interpret or repeat information gained from the news and pass on that understanding, whether it be right or wrong.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 13:27 (Ref:4100062)   #2933
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The question is if his team will feel the same. This could go drag on for a bit before another announcement is made
Theyre meeting tonight to discuss. tbh i cant see it going ahead.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4100065)   #2934
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i just think anybody loudly judging and pointing anyone elses lack of statement or putting off a decision for a bit is mistaken. it's not a clear cut thing in practical terms even if it absolutely looks that way morally.

can only praise guys like seb who stand up and say what they think because the financial or contractual consequences are neither here nor there for them. for the rest of people who aren't set for life or in a position to be able to just walk away from a job or say something that'll have them shown the door because they need to keep the roof over their head...

thoughts for everyone on haas' payroll who really wish they weren't right now.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:14 (Ref:4100069)   #2935
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I notice that Seb isn’t the only on. Bot and Ver too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:18 (Ref:4100070)   #2936
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Selfish to say I suppose but the tax base of my country cannot afford a protracted war with Russia let alone a short term one.. Hard to find sympathy for the teams or their staff or businesses affected by sanctions when we will have to inevitably cut local services and increase taxes collected to pay for Putin’s annual excursions.

The impending refugee crisis is something we will have to deal with long after this foray is over, particularly for countries like Canada with strong cultural ties to the Ukrainian population.

Race should be cancelled imo. Props to Seb for being a leader.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:25 (Ref:4100072)   #2937
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I find it easy to find sympathy for anyone effected by this, irrespective of their job, or anything else about them.
Even if the team had taken the easy dollar beforehand, which I guess is your point.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:27 (Ref:4100073)   #2938
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
i just think anybody loudly judging and pointing anyone elses lack of statement or putting off a decision for a bit is mistaken. it's not a clear cut thing in practical terms even if it absolutely looks that way morally.

can only praise guys like seb who stand up and say what they think because the financial or contractual consequences are neither here nor there for them. for the rest of people who aren't set for life or in a position to be able to just walk away from a job or say something that'll have them shown the door because they need to keep the roof over their head...

Agree on all points.

Richard
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:30 (Ref:4100075)   #2939
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Race should be cancelled imo.
My personal opinion is that they should put the race on hold. That it will not happen unless things deescalate. As an enticement to reverse course. But.. defining fuzzy lines like that is a slippery slope for F1 (moving into "diplomacy"). Otherwise, just cancel it to keep things simple.

Richard
Old 24 Feb 2022, 14:49 (Ref:4100079)   #2940
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I find it easy to find sympathy for anyone effected by this, irrespective of their job, or anything else about them.
Even if the team had taken the easy dollar beforehand, which I guess is your point.
no dollar is easy though is it, every decision to accept investment is preceded by sanity checks and "what's the alternative?" conversations. ultimately you can find yourself in a situation where you have to take the mid to longer term potential risk for the short to medium term easing of extremely large ballaches alongside any positive benefits an arrangement might have.

i don't believe in calling f1 sport, but i also don't agree that sport should automatically transcend politics and moral and ethical barriers. given that no country is capable or willing to take the risk of returning the favour on putin-claimed territory, it's kind of difficult to know what to do. if anyone thinks it's simple they're vastly underestimating the lunacy being waved around.

that said i think discussion is really important - that's not suggesting that conversation is useless and nobody should express opinions and be open to them.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 16:04 (Ref:4100101)   #2941
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
But.. defining fuzzy lines like that is a slippery slope for F1 (moving into "diplomacy"). Otherwise, just cancel it to keep things simple.

Richard
Quote:
i don't believe in calling f1 sport, but i also don't agree that sport should automatically transcend politics and moral and ethical barriers. given that no country is capable or willing to take the risk of returning the favour on putin-claimed territory, it's kind of difficult to know what to do. if anyone thinks it's simple they're vastly underestimating the lunacy being waved around.
why does it have to be any of those things?

how many F1 fans lost money in the markets today, how much more will your household pay for energy consumption, how many less cars are going to be sold because of increasing gas prices etc?

F1's main demographic is essentially working age to older population? so tax payers and those either looking to build their investment portfolios or those increasingly or already at an age where they are living off of them.

so why does geo politics even have to come into this?

F1 is a product and if its customers (fans) are being negatively and materially/financially affected by one of their suppliers (Russia) then they should be looking to replace that supplier/support their customers or risk losing said customers.

add in the more important issues surrounding morality, the unnecessary displacement of people and loss of life it should become a fairly simple calculation for the F1 stakeholders to make i hope.

if one lesson can be drawn from the recent Olympics imo its that declining viewership numbers based on viewers growing distaste for participating in sportswashing seems to be a real phenomenon.

that said while i may be just looking at this from a personal financial perspective and while that may be fair for me to do for myself, i agree that none of this is simple and there are many perspectives to listen to.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 22:34 (Ref:4100153)   #2942
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
I think it is clear cut
Not wanting to make this political, but in this case Russia's actions are extremely difficult to defend, and almost no political, business or media leaders have spoken in favour of it. In fact the harsh criticism and calls to stop have been close to unanimous. And all are rushing to enforce sanctions.
So morally it cant go ahead, and Seb Bot and others have said they wont go.
I predict Lewis soon will say the same.

On a commercial level, if there will be financial and banking sanctions and money cant go into or out of Russia, then who pays for the race?
No money = no race.

So unless Putin is replaced and/or the invasion ends no GP.

My question is where does this leave Haas and Mazepin?
An American team funded by a Russian millions, painted like a Russian flag with a Russian driver.

Maza is a pay driver and no money = no drive.
And an American team especially would be pressured to be seen to cut ties.

Last edited by bathurst77; 24 Feb 2022 at 22:43.
Old 24 Feb 2022, 22:43 (Ref:4100155)   #2943
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
“Haas F1 Team will present its VF-22 in a plain white livery, minus Uralkali branding, for the third and final day of track running at Circuit de Barcelona–Catalunya on Friday,” the team said, already dropping the Uralkali title from its name. “Nikita Mazepin will drive as planned in the morning session with Mick Schumacher taking over in the afternoon. No further comment will be made at this time regarding team partner agreements.”
Old 25 Feb 2022, 10:02 (Ref:4100191)   #2944
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
It is surely time for the FIA to step in and decided where f1 races and how often. There possibly five or six countries that have serious human rights issues that host GPs, despite having little actual interest from their own population.
Liberty are only interested in who will pay them the most. It is like so many "sports" there are people on the make to the detriment of the sport as a whole.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 12:10 (Ref:4100212)   #2945
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This year's Russian Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Here's the statement: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Sb8LksW0J.html
Old 25 Feb 2022, 12:30 (Ref:4100216)   #2946
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 12:34 (Ref:4100218)   #2947
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that’s not cancelled.

that’s “well we couldn’t run it NOW”.
Old 25 Feb 2022, 12:35 (Ref:4100219)   #2948
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
This year's Russian Grand Prix has been cancelled.

Here's the statement: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...Sb8LksW0J.html

Potentially excellent news, however the statement does say: ''it is impossible to hold the Russian Grand Prix in the current circumstances.''
Old 25 Feb 2022, 12:38 (Ref:4100220)   #2949
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Will they attempt to find an alternate venue?
Old 25 Feb 2022, 13:09 (Ref:4100226)   #2950
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
that’s not cancelled.

that’s “well we couldn’t run it NOW”.
The FIA have clarified it is cancelled and they will not be returning it to the 2022 calendar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Will they attempt to find an alternate venue?
Yes, they are working on a replacement. Medland reported Turkey was mentioned and was told a decision would be made but saying Turkey is premature. Course Turkey, that paragon of human rights virtue would be great replacement