Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Nov 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3329695)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
The Kimi situation and the potential that Alonso may have not been fit to drive only goes to show that teams need to take this role seriously, particularly when points (and money) are at stake.
One example and another that didn't happen. It still remains rare. With the rules as they are I'd keep my race drivers in the car all weekend. Maybe towards the end of the season if things are critical for points? Although then is be doing it to develop next years driver not in case of an unlikely injury. And the downside is effectively saying you are giving up on another driver! In addition any decent driver probably has it contractually laid down that he gets the seat time, so the team, when signing, said they were committing to them. So, for me and it seems the teams, it isn't the daft thing to so and they don't need a sensible pill.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3329704)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
All teams should be required to run three drivers on Fridays. You don't need three cars just three drivers.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 19:41 (Ref:3329711)   #28
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Good point and perhaps this is something the FIA should be looking at and insisting that nominated reserve drivers must have completed a minimum amount of mileage in the car, have driven it within at least the last 2 months and be familiar with all the car systems and equipment.

Instead of being seen as another source of funding from drivers who barely get to see the car let alone drive it.

The Kimi situation and the potential that Alonso may have not been fit to drive only goes to show that teams need to take this role seriously, particularly when points (and money) are at stake.
i think it is still an important funding stream for the lower teams, especially those with gp2 or gp3 teams. there's nothing that says they can't have more than one reserve driver. lotus also have d'ambrosio and prost at their disposal for example.

i think we have to be careful just saying that teams should have run 3 drivers during a friday session and that sort of thing. it does seriously inconvenience rookies to miss out on track time to make way for a non-race driver, and if they're just using it to gain the relevant time for their third driver then it's going to start getting a bit silly. they'll start picking experienced drivers as third drivers when the young ones could have done with the track time, etc etc.

take caterham - they've got rossi, who is their young reserve driver but kovalainen has had the most practice time and its been at the cost of the two guys paying for the drive, one of whom is a rookie. awkward.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 21:23 (Ref:3329733)   #29
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Just thinking of possible alternatives, I wonder if they're thinking about Perov, Senna or Koboyashi?
Old 10 Nov 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3329735)   #30
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is this a genuine back problem or is it the money issue?
Old 10 Nov 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3329736)   #31
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends how much money they've got left to spend on body parts.
Old 10 Nov 2013, 21:43 (Ref:3329739)   #32
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I rather imagine it is; however, I suspect that Raikkonen has taking the option of taking surgery/recovering during his Lotus contract (for which presumably he is not being paid), rather than waiting for the end of the year and potentially impacting upon his Ferrari commitments (for which I suspect he will receive his pay).
Old 11 Nov 2013, 03:15 (Ref:3329823)   #33
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
He has a genuine back problem and a money issue. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 04:34 (Ref:3329834)   #34
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why not run three sessions on a Friday? 2 hours for third drivers, then the standard 1.5 hr sessions for the race drivers.

The rookie race drivers don't miss a session, the teams get some extra running and rookies get some time in the car.

Put a limit on it so that people like Senna and Kova can't come in and do it. If they want to run someone who has raced in the last year they can run in the 1.5 hour sessions.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 13:08 (Ref:3329931)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by m355y View Post
Valsecchi is better than Leimer, Razia or Chilton, I've got no doubt about that at all. Whether he's F1 material, lets see how he does the next two races I suppose. It's a lifeline for his career this. Impress and he might be picked up by someone. If this chance hadn't come along he wouldn't have had a cat in hells chance.
Yes, and no....

I've not rated Valsecchi since his FR3.5 days when he was a contender for the series in the year Vettel was in it (I think?) Despite winning the GP2 title, he never truly shone, but then again as I commented in a GP2 specific thread, I'm an utterly unconvinced about that series as a real showcase for talent as some guys have been made to look very good and some very good guys have looked average....
Old 11 Nov 2013, 15:25 (Ref:3329971)   #36
Danny27
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Danny27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Call me naive but I believe the back problem story
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3329988)   #37
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny27 View Post
Call me naive but I believe the back problem story
I don't think its as simple as either or.

I am sure he has a back problem and needs the operation however I think if he was on good terms with his team he would live with the injury and have the op the moment the season was over. Instead he is prioritising being fully fit to slide his backside into the ferrari as soon as testing starts in the new year.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 16:39 (Ref:3329992)   #38
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post

I am sure he has a back problem and needs the operation however I think if he was on good terms with his team he would live with the injury and have the op the moment the season was over. Instead he is prioritising being fully fit to slide his backside into the ferrari as soon as testing starts in the new year.
I agree, if he was staying with The Enstone Team (sorry, but to me they're not Lotus) for next season he'd grin & bear it for the rest of the season. There's now no love loss in either direction and understandably Kimi would rather have his operation done ASAP to ensure he's as fighting fit as soon as possible for his new team who he hopes will show him more respect (plus pay him as & when they promise they will!)
Old 11 Nov 2013, 17:16 (Ref:3330000)   #39
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Seems sound thinking, if a little ungrateful.

I know the wage problem is quite extreme, but you assume he will be paid eventually. Lotus were the only team to give him a chance to come back and win this Ferrari move in the first place. And, you know, he gets to drive an F1 car.

...he says with absolutely no tangible knowledge of the injury. He could be on the verge of paralysis for all I know, back problems are not really much fun.
Old 11 Nov 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3330131)   #40
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=Knowlesy;3330000]Seems sound thinking, if a little ungrateful.

I know the wage problem is quite extreme, but you assume he will be paid eventually. Lotus were the only team to give him a chance to come back and win this Ferrari move in the first place. And, you know, he gets to drive an F1 car.

...he says with absolutely no tangible knowledge of the injury. He could be on the verge of paralysis for all I know, back problems are not really much fun.[/QUOTE]

Actually Knowlesy, that's a valid point. Win Percy was never an F1 driver but a great Touring and Sports Car Racer who has never walked again following an operation on his back.
We're all very safe and comfy here typing our opinions into our PC's without being anywhere near close to the dangers these guys face every (other?) weekend...
Old 12 Nov 2013, 03:00 (Ref:3330238)   #41
Danny27
Rookie

Argentina
Buenos Aires
Danny27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Have to agree with that.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3330284)   #42
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
This really sucks...

Anyway, Badour did an amazing job also!
Yep, what on earth are you gonna do for DOTR now Pete?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 08:57 (Ref:3330295)   #43
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus might afford to put Mr. Kovalainen in driving seat for last two races.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:52 (Ref:3330309)   #44
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I rather imagine it is; however, I suspect that Raikkonen has taking the option of taking surgery/recovering during his Lotus contract (for which presumably he is not being paid), rather than waiting for the end of the year and potentially impacting upon his Ferrari commitments (for which I suspect he will receive his pay).
Well said. Agreed.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3330310)   #45
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzei View Post
I have to ask this. Why on earth would they do that?
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3330313)   #46
Dragger
Racer

Quote:
Seems sound thinking, if a little ungrateful.

...he says with absolutely no tangible knowledge of the injury. He could be on the verge of paralysis for all I know, back problems are not really much fun.
I don't quite see it that way.

Just my opinion, but any pro racing driver/rider that profits less than $1Million a year is underpaid when I consider they are risking their health and life every session. Meanwhile a golf player like Tiger Woods makes $100,000,000 a year to knock a tiny ball. Kimi deserves the pay he's earned.

Who's the last driver to win for that team? Alonso 2006?

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:07 (Ref:3330316)   #47
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I will drive for beer and all the hot chicks I will meet.....
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:17 (Ref:3330318)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragger View Post
I don't quite see it that way.

Just my opinion, but any pro racing driver/rider that profits less than $1Million a year is underpaid when I consider they are risking their health and life every session. Meanwhile a golf player like Tiger Woods makes $100,000,000 a year to knock a tiny ball. Kimi deserves the pay he's earned.

Who's the last driver to win for that team? Alonso 2006?
Kimi Australia 2013. ;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
I will drive for beer and all the hot chicks I will meet.....
He said sheepishly.
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:40 (Ref:3330323)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzei View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I have to ask this. Why on earth would they do that?
Because at least he has experience and I would expect his pace to be far better than any rookie. The team needs points for the end of the season.
(I admit that I did overrate Kovalainen during his McLaren days and it took me a while to accept that he wasn't as good as I thought he was, but I still think he'd be a much safer bet than someone without the experience...)
Old 12 Nov 2013, 10:44 (Ref:3330325)   #50
Dragger
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Kimi Australia 2013. ;

He said sheepishly.
LOL, well played sir.

Pre-Kimi, who was the last to win for the "Lotus" team, Alonso 2006?

I think the last to win for Lotus the brand was 1978, Andretti?