Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Oct 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3678753)   #1
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Media/TV/Internet in sportscar racing

Can talk about media for any series of course but I want to focus on IMSA. They of anybody need a online subscription service you can pay for. My dream is it can provide:

1. Live and archived coverage of every session including practice sessions

2. Option to turn on and off commentary

3. Live timing and scoring that is concurrent to point of the race that you are at even when you are watching the race on delay or replay.

4. Same thing for the cars/dots following on the track

5. The same full race in car cameras you see as on the IMSA.com tv page but archived as well.

6. A real kicker that would be neat if it can be pulled off is a channel that focuses on just the GT races on the track.

I think IMSA worrying about if they are FS1 or FS2 is pointless now. Yes they should try to get on the FOX network as much as possible but beyond that. Focus on the paid online subscription service and MARKETING MARKETING MARKETING. IMSA cars are a natural fit for the Fast and Furious movies and maybe even a TV cop show. I mean you can base an episode of Law and Order or something like that based on a con man who used the money to fund a race team like Scott Tucker. But while filming that episode you can show off the cool race cars and drivers that IMSA has to offer.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:46 (Ref:3678814)   #2
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There have been enough shady individuals in sports car to have a season-long weekly series---drug dealers and smugglers and swindlers, people robbing churches and bars and commandeering Indian tribes .... Only problem is it will make everyone think sports car racing is a den of thieves.

As for Pay-per-view ....

Based on what FIA-WEC has insulted us all with .... it would need all the things you mentioned plus Radio Le Mans coverage (even if they call it "IMSA radio") as an option for every session .. and NO COMMERCIALS EVER.

And NEVER any Fox Sports intro music.

And it would need to be a rock-steady reliable stream, every time, all the time.

As a start, they could just tie T&S to the YouTube stream just to prove they can conquer the technical obstacles there.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 02:54 (Ref:3678819)   #3
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
There have been enough shady individuals in sports car to have a season-long weekly series---drug dealers and smugglers and swindlers, people robbing churches and bars and commandeering Indian tribes .... Only problem is it will make everyone think sports car racing is a den of thieves.

As for Pay-per-view ....

Based on what FIA-WEC has insulted us all with .... it would need all the things you mentioned plus Radio Le Mans coverage (even if they call it "IMSA radio") as an option for every session .. and NO COMMERCIALS EVER.

And NEVER any Fox Sports intro music.

And it would need to be a rock-steady reliable stream, every time, all the time.

As a start, they could just tie T&S to the YouTube stream just to prove they can conquer the technical obstacles there.
Good points. I think one episode featuring a race car crook would be good enough by the way.

Also I am certain that the concept of a subscription service for IMSA would include IMSA radio commentary. I think the option to turn them off and hear just the engines through a race or session is cool for when we get to that point we want to watch a replay for the 3rd time or something like that. We love Hindy and Shaw of course! The idea of that comes from seeing some of the free practice sessions for the Blancpain GT races on youtube. They are free of commentary and that was pretty neat. Although I also love John Watson.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 03:11 (Ref:3678823)   #4
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I think the option to turn them off and hear just the engines through a race or session is cool for when we get to that point we want to watch a replay for the 3rd time or something like that.
I agree with that.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 09:34 (Ref:3678873)   #5
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great programme on BBC 2 about Chris Hoy at Lemans. Bloke to take up a career in diplomacy! What an angry team!!!
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3678880)   #6
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't speak for domestic American viewing, because I've never watched it. But for international viewers, IMSA is basically perfect with the streaming.

IMSA Radio (otherwise known as Radio Le Mans) has a stream which is easy to find, works on every device I've tried, is high quality and reliable, and has the perfect set of commentators. However, commentator tastes change depending on where you are in the world. I personally cannot stand the American style commentators who prefer a heart warming story about how someones dog once was friends with a cat and died 17 years ago to the day, and that's why it's a meaningful victory. I'd rather have Hindy and Goodwin arguing about something incredibly geeky whilst Martin Haven has a rant about something. It's just personal tastes, but if a series doens't have RLM commentary, it gets harder to watch IMO.

This actually becoming the norm now days, and it's fantastic. ELMS, N24, SuperGT, IMSA, Spa 24 have all taken the route of making their series easier to watch, and providing RLM commentators for it. It really opens doors to new series when you hear familiar, trustworthy voices out the speakers.

It seems that IMSA needs to work on the domestic viewing package. International, I wouldn't change a thing personally.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 10:28 (Ref:3678889)   #7
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of commentary, I wonder if there's an option of choosing either English (mostly Radio Le Mans) or foreign should the race is held countries like Germany, France, Japan, etc.?

I've watched the recent Super GT race in Buriram and I noticed that I'm hearing some Japanese commentary, specifically the pit garage report.

Now if Youtube can have that option, it'll accommodate foreign-language and English commentary at the same time without changing the video feed. Not just in motorsports, but for traditional sports and e-sports.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 12:27 (Ref:3678930)   #8
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I can't speak for domestic American viewing, because I've never watched it. But for international viewers, IMSA is basically perfect with the streaming.

It seems that IMSA needs to work on the domestic viewing package. International, I wouldn't change a thing personally.
I think you are correct on this. I think it is great that IMSA has top-notch international coverage, but what about the home product? Their target audience (for sponsorship $) is in North America, but they make it an awful hard sell for companies when we can't see the races with ease. Perhaps companies prefer to hear a race will be on cable though instead of being streamed live?

I don't know what it costs to produce a 10, 12 or 24 hour race, but the costs have to be pretty significant. So does the series simply want to cover production costs and get a tv deal, or do they want to try and make some money off the coverage?

edit: I guess a better way to state my question is, what is the point of a tv product? To let the fans seek it out who want to watch? Or to introduce the product to new fans? IMSA always thinks new fans are watching and puts all these segments about racing and tires and such into the broadcast as if new viewers are watching, but then puts the race on an obscure cable channel where only die hard fans will seek it out.

Last edited by joeb; 10 Oct 2016 at 12:42.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 14:09 (Ref:3678947)   #9
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Perhaps companies prefer to hear a race will be on cable though instead of being streamed live?
I think you're on to something here. To some people streaming might sound like "oh, you're product is so bad no broadcaster wants it".
Old 10 Oct 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3678952)   #10
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
edit: I guess a better way to state my question is, what is the point of a tv product? To let the fans seek it out who want to watch? Or to introduce the product to new fans? IMSA always thinks new fans are watching and puts all these segments about racing and tires and such into the broadcast as if new viewers are watching, but then puts the race on an obscure cable channel where only die hard fans will seek it out.
The constant "features" about the race are one of the things I cannot stand about American broadcasting. You're continually bombarded with features about the race you're trying to watch. In reality, it's an advertisement. Continental pay for an advert to be mid broadcast, and they disguise it as a "feature" where they talk about how amazing the tyres are. Then you cut back to the race and the lead has changed and they don't really care.

With TV, the race is simply a vessel to provide advertising space. With streaming, the race is the main feature, and takes priority.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 15:50 (Ref:3678958)   #11
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
With TV, the race is simply a vessel to provide advertising space. With streaming, the race is the main feature, and takes priority.
That is an excellent point. But how do you grow the viewership if you only have a stream? I would love a streaming option, but I feel like you grow you need to get in front of new audiences. That is what a tv deal can bring you.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3678965)   #12
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
How about turn the online streaming into a pyramid scheme? Your fans will sell the series and subscriptions for you. That way no one has to worry about the casual fan getting hooked because they casually happened to surf past fs2 in between bowling semi quarter finals practice.

Intentionality of users searching for somewhere to pay would shoot through the roof. I'd be genuinely curious how many people upgraded cable tiers so they would have access to North American sports car and endurance racing.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3678967)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
That is an excellent point. But how do you grow the viewership if you only have a stream? I would love a streaming option, but I feel like you grow you need to get in front of new audiences. That is what a tv deal can bring you.
Good question and I don't really have an answer. Promoted streams? I know when I start YouTube on my Xbox, and there's a SpaceX or ELMS stream starting in a couple of hours, it's literally the first video I select. It obviously knows I like this stuff so moves it to the front. I imagine paid/promoted content is a thing on YouTube. So do you pay YouTube to promote your live event?
Old 10 Oct 2016, 17:34 (Ref:3678976)   #14
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Can talk about media for any series of course but I want to focus on IMSA.
FYI, I am working on #3, for IMSA (and IMSA series), ELMS & WEC currently.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3678992)   #15
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
That is the problem, if the race is the only object, who's paying for it? Obviously there isn't enough interest or money in it to even buy tv time as the ALMS was so where is the money coming from without paid features? Even streaming costs buckets of cash and it seems like IMSA has teaspoons of cash to use.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3678994)   #16
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
That is the problem, if the race is the only object, who's paying for it? Obviously there isn't enough interest or money in it to even buy tv time as the ALMS was so where is the money coming from without paid features? Even streaming costs buckets of cash and it seems like IMSA has teaspoons of cash to use.
What you say makes sense. But IMSA is already streaming to everywhere except the US, and is paying RLM for their services. So that expense is already there. There's no reason why it can't be on TV and streaming unless you've allowed the TV company to say no to that. This seems like a problem IMSA has created.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:54 (Ref:3678998)   #17
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
What you say makes sense. But IMSA is already streaming to everywhere except the US, and is paying RLM for their services. So that expense is already there. There's no reason why it can't be on TV and streaming unless you've allowed the TV company to say no to that. This seems like a problem IMSA has created.
It's a problem broadcast rules have created, they were written pre-streaming and are TOUGH to get changed. Even ESPN has had problems getting things allowed streaming and tv when they wanted. And there's no way Fox is going to not push for YOU to buy the channel over the streaming from IMSA directly. I have FS1 and FS2 through SlingTV streaming but could not get the sign-in from that account to work with FoxSportsGo so the off channel airing was a no-go for me.
Old 10 Oct 2016, 18:57 (Ref:3678999)   #18
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Seems like a very complex and regulated situation in the States, like you say. I honestly don't know enough to comment on how to have that changed. Its a shame the American domestic coverage can't get the quality that we get in Europe. Sports car racing in general is in a very good place streaming wise over here. The one major exception is PWC.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 00:11 (Ref:3679092)   #19
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I just have to say reading this thread is refreshing. There has been polite and thoughtful discussion of issues, with no negativity and name calling. Keep it up!
Old 11 Oct 2016, 01:27 (Ref:3679116)   #20
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've asked elsewhere here and I don't think there's been an answer but how many more years is the FOX contract?

I'll second the others desires to have a full fledged stream / online "database" where all info is contained and that having a dedicated site / stream leads to covering the event rather than hawking whatever FOX marketing team thinks the target audience is through infomericals and their "flashy" coverage.

FOXgo is available for everyone I believe so not having FS2 shouldn't be the reason to hate FOX. Their coverage does just fine making them look ridiculous...

I don't like to pay for much more than I already do. Yes, I get it, it would be "just 20 dollars" or whatever, but that phrase gets thrown out there 9x a week. Until everything is as reliable and as consistent as the old cable box, I'm sticking with that and free streams.

Quote:
I just have to say reading this thread is refreshing. There has been polite and thoughtful discussion of issues, with no negativity and name calling. Keep it up!
Shut up. This could be a jinx...
Old 11 Oct 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3679143)   #21
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
It's a problem broadcast rules have created, they were written pre-streaming and are TOUGH to get changed. Even ESPN has had problems getting things allowed streaming and tv when they wanted. And there's no way Fox is going to not push for YOU to buy the channel over the streaming from IMSA directly. I have FS1 and FS2 through SlingTV streaming but could not get the sign-in from that account to work with FoxSportsGo so the off channel airing was a no-go for me.
You made me curious so I just tried to sign in on Foxsportsgo.com and after selecting my provider (Cox) it only took a couple of seconds to 'get plugged in' and didn't needed to sign in to that account. I think I've logged in to my Cox account previously but do clear browser history and such on a regular base so not sure if it had been saved/remembered???
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:26 (Ref:3679167)   #22
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Recall starting at Lime Rock, the IMSA youtube replay moved from the FOX broadcast to the IMSA radio feed. I think everybody agrees that was one of the best moves of the year that was made from a TV/Internet broadcasting stand point.

I really really hope they maintain that in 2017. Imagine Daytona and Sebring with the IMSA radio feed free of the FOX tire tip fluff, commercials, and those stupid 1-2 minute segments with drivers saying how tough the race is....you know the one with the close up/slow mo video of the cars to background music. What do you call those?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 03:37 (Ref:3679171)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Recall starting at Lime Rock, the IMSA youtube replay moved from the FOX broadcast to the IMSA radio feed. I think everybody agrees that was one of the best moves of the year that was made from a TV/Internet broadcasting stand point.

I really really hope they maintain that in 2017. Imagine Daytona and Sebring with the IMSA radio feed free of the FOX tire tip fluff, commercials, and those stupid 1-2 minute segments with drivers saying how tough the race is....you know the one with the close up/slow mo video of the cars to background music. What do you call those?
Montage? I hate them all in all sports broadcasts. Then again, "get off my lawn."

Some of the segments with the drivers, tip fluff etc is okay as long as they don't make it so poorly timed. All major media outlets have become so rigid with timing of items that they lose sight of why they are there.
Old 11 Oct 2016, 06:58 (Ref:3679226)   #24
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Does Streaming in America *require* a TV broadcaster to do it? does the race absolutely have to be on Fox Sports as well? Why can't IMSA just stream their own website. Or YouTube and embed the video.

Everyone now has computers or even Smart TVs. It makes it easier to watch. Why not drop TV completely?
Old 11 Oct 2016, 10:29 (Ref:3679259)   #25
Maelochs
Veteran

Quote:
Everyone now has computers or even Smart TVs. It makes it easier to watch. Why not drop TV completely?
Because the race is broadcast not for the fans but for the sponsors. Sponsors want to be on TV, where they think they get more eyeballs ... and possibly, fresh eyeballs.

With TV, they can advertise the race. if the race is broadcast online online, how can they get word to new viewers? Apparently they don't want to advertise non-TV sources on TV ... or only if there is a TV-based option