Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give this year's edition of the Monaco Grand Prix?
10 1 2.13%
9 4 8.51%
8 6 12.77%
7 7 14.89%
6 6 12.77%
5 6 12.77%
4 7 14.89%
3 6 12.77%
2 3 6.38%
1 1 2.13%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 May 2018, 12:18 (Ref:3825433)   #26
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Generally I mark the races relatively high compared to others...surprisingly this time I find myself marking well below most, as I gave it 3 - despite being pleased and impressed with Daniel's performance, there simply wasn't any real excitement.......every time there seemed to be some tension it seemed to dissipate.

The description I saw elsewhere of the race being "a 78-lap victory parade after the result was settled in Q3" seemed accurate.
Old 29 May 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3825440)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it was very hard to rate it high. Danny though just managed to hold on and just queues of cars kept it interesting. I think qualifying is always a spectacle round and the race does have some interest
Old 29 May 2018, 12:55 (Ref:3825444)   #28
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not a great race as a spectacle but that's Monaco.

If you want to make it more interesting you need rule changes - perhaps two compulsory pit stop windows and the introduction of Indycar-style full-course yellows and two-abreast rolling restarts? A restart with 6 laps to go would certainly have woken up TV audiences around the world.
Old 29 May 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3825461)   #29
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Reminiscent of Jarama 1979 when Gilles V held the pack back for the entire race. It happens and we enjoyed that too. This time we knew Danny Ric was hobbled.

As Lancs says though. Only worth a 3.
Old 29 May 2018, 17:00 (Ref:3825483)   #30
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Reminiscent of Jarama 1979 when Gilles V held the pack back for the entire race. It happens and we enjoyed that too. This time we knew Danny Ric was hobbled.

As Lancs says though. Only worth a 3.
It was 1981 and vastly different as the cars behind Gilles were actually trying to overtake him
Old 29 May 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3825485)   #31
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Those were the days it was a lot more pure, yet Gilles held on till the end
Old 29 May 2018, 17:26 (Ref:3825487)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Blimey, 1981. But no different really.
Old 29 May 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3825488)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

That was an interesting season. It was all great back then
Old 29 May 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3825495)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm, anyone see the C4 film of Karunchandok in the FW08C at the Monaco historic? Made the modern cars look positively ugly. So you may have a point.
Old 29 May 2018, 19:40 (Ref:3825529)   #35
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That was an interesting season. It was all great back then
What did you enjoy most about 1981?
Old 29 May 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3825537)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Hmm, anyone see the C4 film of Karunchandok in the FW08C at the Monaco historic? Made the modern cars look positively ugly. So you may have a point.
I did. It's visually so simple compared to what we have now.
Old 29 May 2018, 21:29 (Ref:3825554)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I love Monaco I thought it was a great display of how brilliant these drivers really are... Its unique setting its should never disappear from the calendar..... 9
Old 30 May 2018, 03:49 (Ref:3825582)   #38
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
6. Result was up in the air and something about Monaco I like.
Old 31 May 2018, 07:45 (Ref:3825811)   #39
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
4. Boring, but not complain about that.
Made me a superb weekend...
Old 3 Jun 2018, 10:38 (Ref:3826426)   #40
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was truly ordinary, naturally I gave it a 10 because I did well in predictions and the voting for that has finished
I was only able to finally watch it today
Old 3 Jun 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3826437)   #41
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon View Post
What did you enjoy most about 1981?

I wasn’t born when it happened, but I got the season review on video and I’ve seen numerous individual races online and there was plenty of close racing and overtaking, plus the fact that pitstops were not only not compulsory, but also not necessary either, so nearly all the action was on track

I think what made the season tick was that the cars were a lot more closely matched and there was also no clear no. 1 driver, so there was plenty up there. Just look at the top drivers of the season, Jones, Reutemann, Piquet, Prost, Villeneuve, Laffite, Watson, Patrese, Pironi, Arnoux, de Angelis and Mansell