Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Feb 2004, 12:00 (Ref:881815)   #26
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Edmund is definitely under-rated, except by himself of course. Trying to compare race drivers is tricky, it's like putting your favourite bands into order, often it simply reveals personal prejudices. Unless driving identical cars in identical circumstances who can say, certainly not most armchair pundits.
First seen him crashing with Alain Menu at Oulton Park in the eighties attempting a daring pass that didn't come off but got the crowd's attention !
Enjoyed watching him in F1, on track and off.
My brother-in-law can't stand him, Faking It with the snotty computer games guy failing to be a race driver...he's Eddie Irvine !
Yeah, right.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 16:13 (Ref:881927)   #27
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a lot less than I rate Boutsen! still an entertaing bloke if nothing else

Last edited by MacMan; 22 Feb 2004 at 16:14.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 16:20 (Ref:881930)   #28
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
graves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant believe anyone could rate Herbert above Irv. Blow him into the weeds he did!
Old 22 Feb 2004, 17:07 (Ref:881951)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can! Quite easily, to be fair.

However I rate (considering the careers of) Rubens, Frentzen, Mika, Michael, DC, Hill, JV, Berger, Alesi, Brundle, Fisi, Wurz, Ralf, Trulli, Button, Panis...

just names off the top of my head and trying to keep it to vague contemporaries of Irvine. IMHO.
Old 22 Feb 2004, 17:52 (Ref:881987)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by graves
I cant believe anyone could rate Herbert above Irv. Blow him into the weeds he did!

Funnily enough, I don't really recall Eddie blowing anybody much into the reeds......
Old 22 Feb 2004, 18:36 (Ref:882020)   #31
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only time Eddie won convincingly over a teammate was in 2002 with Pedro de la Rosa, but Pedro's car kept breaking nearly every race... And when Eddie was 3rd that year at Monza, Pedro's car didn't fail. Massa hit him...
Old 23 Feb 2004, 01:21 (Ref:882329)   #32
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I had to choose someone to drive me somewhere, in a hurry, there is absolutely no way I would pick irvine over rb or jh, or tb

..and you'd have to listen to him talk....
Old 23 Feb 2004, 03:05 (Ref:882386)   #33
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie who? You mean that little Irish fella who spent more time being a playboy then anything alse?I didn't really rate him as his mouth moved faster then the cars he drove except the Ferrari.

The Grumpy1
Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:38 (Ref:882780)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lol

Tend to agree as well.......
Old 23 Feb 2004, 13:43 (Ref:882789)   #35
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Time has been gentleman with Eddie: IMo he was neither underated nor overhyped.
In 1999 he was the luckiest man in the world; his opponents (Macs) did everything they could do to let him win (never saw the macs scrw up things like that year) but it wasn't enough.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 15:13 (Ref:882855)   #36
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMP Eddie was a fantastic driver and also one of the best characters in formula one. In relation to rating him as a driver well the guy did what he was told by ferrari lets remember that he was there to help ferrari and MS win championships nothing else. As far as the 1999 season is concerned he got nowhere near the same support that MS had been a custom to in fact each time i think of the second half of the 99 season the ferrari pits and THREE wheels always springs to mind. When he went to Jag well that was a mess they spent more time hiring and firing top key personnel than much needed time on there car. I remember Eddie Jordon said during the 99 season that if Eddie was to become world champion he would make a fantastic world champion i agreed 100%. I think alot of people looked at the life style that Eddie leads and they seem to think that he didnt take formule one serious well at anyone time there can only be two ferrari drivers and he was one of them.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 19:23 (Ref:883112)   #37
graves
Racer

England
Sheffield UK
graves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here, Here!! Just could not see Ferrari "losing" one of MS's wheels.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 21:15 (Ref:883258)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just because Eddie was a Ferrari driver alongside TGF doesn't make him a world-beater. Remember Mansell's comment (at least I think it was him) about the Williams and the trained monkey.......?

I don't mean to be offensive about Eddie. He was a good driver. Good in the lower formulae, good in sports cars and good in the Ferrari. But there are an awful lot of other drivers out there (now and then) who would have been good in that Ferrari.....
Old 23 Feb 2004, 22:58 (Ref:883362)   #39
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Based entirely on his attributes as a driver and nothing to do with his characteristics I have to say:

Nah.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:06 (Ref:883369)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The way some people go on, you'd think Eddie was as bad as Deletraz or something!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:09 (Ref:883376)   #41
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Oh crickey no, but the way others go on you'd think he was as good as a top driver.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:15 (Ref:883380)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I knew that was coming!

He was a top driver though.....people tend to classify DC as a top driver, Irvine was better than him in my opinion, given that he never had a superior car to DC.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:19 (Ref:883385)   #43
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a tough arugument, can you judge a driver purely on his results? Are all cars equal (including those from the same team)? I think if we quantify one of the very basic skills a driver needs to first qualify as a great, you can only come to one conclusion.

A great driver must be able to tell a good car from a not so good car, I'm sure everybody would agree?

Eddie moved from Ferrari (Good Car) to Jaguar (Not So Good Car)..... IDIOT!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 23:23 (Ref:883388)   #44
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappelli

A great driver must be able to tell a good car from a not so good car, I'm sure everybody would agree?

Eddie moved from Ferrari (Good Car) to Jaguar (Not So Good Car)..... IDIOT!
Don't agree, after all, where else could Eddie go? The Williams, which seemed an option to him wasn't as good as it is now, and although McLaren spoke to Eddie about him joining the outfit, he was told that in their (Mclaren's) opinion, Eddie was better than DC, but that much better to warrent ridding DC from his contract.

The way the Stewart team was going in 99, the new Jaguar outfit looked a good bet for 2000. Then something went wrong, Jackie Stewart announcing that he was leaving.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 08:58 (Ref:883702)   #45
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chappelli
Are all cars equal (including those from the same team)?
Well we know the answer to that one - no they're not! Escpecially Ferrari where Eddie didn't get as much testing time as TGF and didn't always get the same spec car for races.

To some extent Jaguar seem incapable of running two competitive cars.

As for Eddie - he was a good driver and was probably the ideal man for the Ferrari drive at the time. He was unlucky not to win the WDC in 99, yes McLaren made a mess of things but so did Ferrari that year so it pretty much equalled itself out.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:08 (Ref:883761)   #46
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1
Eddie who? You mean that little Irish fella who spent more time being a playboy then anything alse?I didn't really rate him as his mouth moved faster then the cars he drove except the Ferrari.

The Grumpy1
I entirely agree. I'm not saying he wasn't any good, but he was in no way the 2nd best driver in F1. His record just does not support it. Either in terms of talent or results.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:15 (Ref:883767)   #47
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd rate him roughly equal to Rubens, although he was ideal for the #2 Ferrari role, perhaps more so than Rubens, because he focussed on the task, accpeted his lack of testing and contractual restrictions, and got on with maximising his and the team's results. Signing him over Rubens despite the Brazillian appearing quicker at Jordan was an inspired move, because Rubens would've been emotionally crushed by the task in a slow car.

Had Eddie stayed in 2000 I think he could've taken his improved confidence and status forward and started to challenge Michael - but maybe he'd've taken points off him (or not been allowed to).

His work at Jaguar was much-underrated as well. When the car was fast, he made the most of it. When it was slow, he got his head down and eked out the odd excellent result. His only bad run was in mid-2001 when De la Rosa was outpacing him.

As both Rubens and Johnny have been team-mates to both Michael and Eddie, an allreound comaprison is quite easy - Johnny's the weakest of the four and Michael the best, with Rubens and Eddie about equal, but good for different situations.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 10:36 (Ref:883776)   #48
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think Irvine only missed out on the '99 title because Ferrari found it so hard to focus on a driver other than TGF.
I liked eddie, he brought humour to the grid and if his ego had powered his car he'd be a 10 time WDC.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 11:13 (Ref:883825)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide

Had Eddie stayed in 2000 I think he could've taken his improved confidence and status forward and started to challenge Michael...

Seriously?

I think not.

a) He would never have been given the chance for starters, and

b) He wasn't good enough.
Old 24 Feb 2004, 13:32 (Ref:884003)   #50
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never rated him.