Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:06 (Ref:882898)   #1
billyblister
Racer

billyblister should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Belgian GP info

Hi guys and girls, i've finally managed to organise myself to get up off the couch and go to a GP!
Have bought my plane tickets to belgium and i'm about to buy the GP tickets and book accomodation any advise?

General admission or Silver whats the best value?
Places to stay, any travel advise etc is very welcome.

Alan
Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:18 (Ref:882915)   #2
Nina
Racer

Nina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have done it a couple of times, pm me if you like
Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:41 (Ref:882939)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've had Silver 2, pretty good. Things may have changed, but no Silver grandstands offer screens except the one at Pouhon. Check the map on the Spa website for details of the screen. IIRC none of the Silver ones are covered either (these are the principle differences to Gold).

I've also been in the Gold gransdstand just above Silver 2.

And why PM? Talk about your experiences here!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:43 (Ref:882941)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me and a few mates are doing the same thing we did 2 years ago. Going across from Dover to Ostend (sp??) on the boat on the tuesday, Karting on wednesday at a great local circuit (), go to Spa on the thursday morning to buy our tickets and get a camping spot in stavelot then enjoy 3 days of superb beer and fantastic racing!

Edit: we usually go for the general admin ticket as it means you're not tied to a seat but can still get a damn good view, especially at the bus stop.

Last edited by Damon; 23 Feb 2004 at 16:45.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:47 (Ref:882944)   #5
billyblister
Racer

Is it easy to get ticket once you are there, may be hard this year as there was no race last year...

My big question is Gernal admission or Silver - is it worth the extra cash? (Was thinking of silver 4)
Old 23 Feb 2004, 16:51 (Ref:882950)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
On a personal note I think that general admin offers great value for money, I don't particularly think the grandstand seats are worth what is quite a large price hike. However, that's just a personal thing, I don't mind sitting on a muddy hill in the forest for 6 hours - you might.

Belgium is nothing like Silverstone, general admin tickets will be easily available when you get there but if you want to be sure just go ahead and book them, specially if you do decide you want anything other than general admin tickets.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:01 (Ref:882961)   #7
billyblister
Racer

What about hotels/camping and getting to and from?
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:07 (Ref:882969)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always had the impression that it's a bit difficult to get to Spa, is that right? I don't drive and the nearest airport isn't very near. Are there coach transfers? Nearest rail station? Montreal is so handy in this department...
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:19 (Ref:882977)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
If you don't drive then it is a bit of a pain, but if you do it's no trouble. 5 of us hired a Clio for the 5 day trip and it only cost 80 Euro's between us, thats a little over a tenner each for 5 days travel!

With regards accomodation then camping is the best bet if you're not to fussy about your amenities. As I say though, stay down the stavelot end as it's really quiet because it's not the easiest site in the world to get to. It's worth checking out some maps to get your bearings before you go. Our plot, on which we fitted two 4-man tents cost 15 euro's a night which is really nothing. Once you get there everything you could possibly want (well beer, food and a shower) are within a few minutes walk so your sorted, it's just getting there that's the biggest hassle.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:23 (Ref:882981)   #10
Nina
Racer

ok Adam!

Travel to and from is pretty simple, its getting out thats a nightmare.

I stayed in a hotel in a town called Namur, purely because it was cheaper and available! Took about an hour to get to Spa at about 4am! yes we only had gneral admission and oh how we wished we had grandstand seats, battling with crazy Jos Verstappen fans to be able to see the big screen!

Having a big screen tv is V important I think, and this is where spa facilities cant compete with say Monza. If you are concerned about how much you are going to have to spend on tickets, then def general admission, because somehow you will def be able to find a big screen.

I have a few friends who have camped at Spa and they loved it, although they were disappointed with the facilities. If you have gen admission tickets, then it rains it gets real mucky there, personally I would book hotel and a car and do the drive in... but thats down to personal taste and budget restraints. If you can afford hotel and car and dont mind travelling in each day then I would go for that.... Then you just need to decide where to stay!!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:25 (Ref:882983)   #11
Nina
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
I've always had the impression that it's a bit difficult to get to Spa, is that right? I don't drive and the nearest airport isn't very near. Are there coach transfers? Nearest rail station? Montreal is so handy in this department...
SPA is in the middle of a forest, there are coach trips arranged but difficult to book and find them. Car is the only way I would go to spa.

Monza however has a train from Milan that stops literally at Lesmo I think - so thats where Im going
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:34 (Ref:882993)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Nina, when we stayed at Stavelot we left the campsite 5 or so miles away at 9:30am and were sat at the bus stop ready for the start of the warm up by 10am.
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:40 (Ref:882998)   #13
Nina
Racer

Damon, getting in was ok for us, but when we arrived on raceday at 6:30 am with gen admission tickets it was hard to get somehwere to sit that was decent and had a screen.

being our first time with gen admission tickets we didnt know what to do, where to go etc and me being quite small made getting a good view even more difficult

We got in fine, the drive in is fine, there wasnt much traffic, it's getting positioned once we got in that we found quite frustrating. Having spent friday in paddock club we had to get used to sitting on the grass again
It is getting out thats more of an issue!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:44 (Ref:883004)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Yeah getting out was a bit of a pain. The on foot bit was fine as we seemed to be going in the complete opposite direction to everyone else, but once we were on the road that same 5 mile journy took about two and a half hours!
Old 23 Feb 2004, 17:52 (Ref:883012)   #15
Nina
Racer

yes took us about an hour and half to get on to the main motorway.

Billy www.hotels.com seem to have some very good prices for Belgium hotels for the race weekend.
Just checked, I was at Novotel in Namur - if you are sharing with others it would be perfect because the rooms were HUGE!
Old 24 Feb 2004, 23:50 (Ref:884701)   #16
billyblister
Racer

Hmmmm choices choices, I just dont know wether to go with General Admission or Silver stand tickets!!
Its my first GP so I want it to be as good as possible without costing the earth!!

Aghhhh this is gonna drive me mad!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 00:13 (Ref:884720)   #17
Nina
Racer

Ive worked out I can go to Monza, sit at Parabolica, fly to Milan stay in central milan from fri to monday all for £330 - booked it - lets just hope ryanair dont fuuck up my plans by changing their flights!
Old 25 Feb 2004, 20:19 (Ref:885490)   #18
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have been to BelGp 3 times, and sat in both silver and gold stands, and spent loads of time in the bronze area. I would always go for a seat somewhere, but remember the silver seats are not numbered ( I think still the case), so you need to be in them early if you are in a group. First time I went i sat in silver 2, which was chocker by 8am. Some friendly Dutch guys i met the day before had been their since 5am, and managed to find me down the front of the stand and take me to some plastic seats they had saved for us right at the back. Bronze does have great viewing, but is absolutely rammed on race day.

Nina, thanks for replying to the question about parking at Spa on Trackside. As we are driving from Holland every day I don't fancy arriving at 6am! If I arrive later why will it be so bad? Will it be a long walk down to La Source, or will we end up having to dump the car outside a car park? As for getting out we are going to eat in one of the cafes near La Source each night so I hope the traffic has died down a bit by then...
Can't wait for August...