Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2018, 05:23 (Ref:3815352)   #1
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
pointless driver

Heres a question for the statistic freaks

What driver in history had the longest f1 career but never scored a point in his whole f1 career? How many races did he start?

Im asking because i want to know.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 05:54 (Ref:3815355)   #2
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Heres a question for the statistic freaks

What driver in history had the longest f1 career but never scored a point in his whole f1 career? How many races did he start?

Im asking because i want to know.
Luca Badoer is your man. 50 starts, zero points
Old 14 Apr 2018, 06:05 (Ref:3815357)   #3
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
thanks el cat! Just reading up on him. Interesting guy
Old 14 Apr 2018, 08:17 (Ref:3815377)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cat View Post
Luca Badoer is your man. 50 starts, zero points
Having come so close in only his 3rd race with a 7th in a Lola at the 1993 San Marino GP.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 08:19 (Ref:3815378)   #5
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would have scored points at the European GP in '99...
Old 14 Apr 2018, 09:11 (Ref:3815386)   #6
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some good stuff here too:
Old 14 Apr 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3815387)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Came so close, especially when running 4th in the 1999 European, before his gearbox cried enough. Shows he was a good driver
Old 14 Apr 2018, 12:52 (Ref:3815422)   #8
newlaprecord
Racer

Switzerland
Feusisberg
newlaprecord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Came so close, especially when running 4th in the 1999 European, before his gearbox cried enough. Shows he was a good driver
it shows that nurburgring 99 remains some of the wackiest races in the history, certainly the wackiest i have witnessed.at some point even my cousin was driving 4th. which is strange because i dont even have a cousin thats how crazy that race was.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 15:32 (Ref:3815448)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It was heartbreaking to see him break down - mechanically and emotionally - at the Nürburgring in ‘99. My gf wept. But he proved pretty hopeless when he subbed for Massa.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 15:47 (Ref:3815451)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Yeah, but that was 10 years later and he was already 40 I believe. It was a mistake to get him in the first place. Anyway he was a decent driver, he doesn't really deserve this "title". (At least he was a very good tester, he did a good job at Ferrari.)
Old 14 Apr 2018, 15:49 (Ref:3815452)   #11
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
it shows that nurburgring 99 remains some of the wackiest races in the history, certainly the wackiest i have witnessed.at some point even my cousin was driving 4th. which is strange because i dont even have a cousin thats how crazy that race was.
Even Penelope Pitstop led the race at some point!
Old 14 Apr 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3815453)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Yeah, but that was 10 years later and he was already 40 I believe. It was a mistake to get him in the first place. Anyway he was a decent driver, he doesn't really deserve this "title". (At least he was a very good tester, he did a good job at Ferrari.)
True, but he wasn’t just a bit off the pace, he was qualifying a Ferrari at the back of the grid while his team mate was at the pointy end. I’d have had more sympathy if he’d been in the midfield.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 19:00 (Ref:3815470)   #13
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be fair, that was always going to happen. He'd been out of racing for 10 years, was 40 years old and had never driven the circuit before. He was given that drive as a thank you retirement gift really. So, as an Italian driver he could say he raced for Ferrari in F1. The championships were already lost for Ferrari, so it didn't matter.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 21:00 (Ref:3815512)   #14
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I doubt Enzo would have taken that view.
Old 14 Apr 2018, 21:43 (Ref:3815541)   #15
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Enzo also had the view that a car was more important than the drivers life, and that aerodynamics were for people who can't build engines. So to be honest, I doubt that would've come into it.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 00:00 (Ref:3815566)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
I doubt Enzo would have taken that view.
Considering Enzo died in 1988, I doubt he had mush of a view at all.

Turning in his grave perhaps?
Old 15 Apr 2018, 04:57 (Ref:3815600)   #17
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Fisi didn’t do very well in the Ferrari either, and he’d finished on the podium in a FI a few races before.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 05:37 (Ref:3815602)   #18
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Always thought that Chris Amon had a rough record:

"Phil Hill led 172 laps in a career which saw him win three Grands Prix and the 1961 World Championship. Chris Amon led 183 laps in his career…and never won a single race.
In 1968 alone he retired from three races with whilst in a position to win, the poor reliability of his Ferrari meaning he ended the year only 10th in the championship when he was arguably the best driver of the year.
Four more times he led races, but something always seemed to conspire against him being there when the flag fell, leaving him saddled with the horrible reputation of being the best F1 driver to never win a race."

https://wtf1.com/post/10-f1-drivers-...anted-records/
Old 15 Apr 2018, 06:51 (Ref:3815614)   #19
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Comparisons are complicated by the facts that -

-until 2003 only top 6 got points (or top 5 in 50s )
- now top 10 do
- cars don't break now. Less chance of finding yourself with a point , even though you only need to plod round and end up 10th
- but far more Grands Prix now
- old days you'd get a point for FL

My nomination for the driver who looked more out of his depth than any I have seen in an F1 car was Richard Robarts (sic) . He rose without trace to get a Brabham/ Williams drive in 1974 - best finish 15th in Brabham and a DNS in Williams . Bless him , he then rightly returned to the obscurity from which he had emerged
Old 15 Apr 2018, 08:20 (Ref:3815647)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Badoer was actually 38 in 2009. The problem was he got little, if any running in the car that season, as that was when in season testing was first banned. So we can't judge him on that two race stint
Old 15 Apr 2018, 20:19 (Ref:3815824)   #21
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fact that man was Piercarlo Ghinzani. Raced from 1981 to 1989 had more than 100 starts and never scored a single point.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3815825)   #22
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
In fact that man was Piercarlo Ghinzani. Raced from 1981 to 1989 had more than 100 starts and never scored a single point.
Only if you exclude 1984 when he got 2 points for finishing 5th somewhere (San Marino?) - LOL.
Old 15 Apr 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3815826)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wiki says Dallas in 1984. That was a bit of a lottery, but he did score some points. He also had a couple of 7ths that year (and another in 1987).

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Apr 2018 at 20:36.
Old 16 Apr 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3815969)   #24
S griffin
Veteran

And he failed to qualify for almost as many as he raced
Old 16 Apr 2018, 09:48 (Ref:3815980)   #25
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
There used to be a great website called F1 rejects. It seemed to disappear a while ago. Someone has restored it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20041204...m:80/main.html

This will tell you all you need to know about the drivers who battled at the less glamorous end of the grid.