Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 May 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3406479)   #6526
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Apologies I didn't make it totally clear - and comparing global sales is like comparing apples to oranges. Different market. If you were being offered a Toyota model of choice, Audi of choice, Porsche of choice free of charge. Which would you choose? - I know I wouldn't even consider any Toyota models... To be totally honest, I've never found my interest in cars to be swayed by which auto maker is winning Le Mans or which automaker is winning Formula 1 (otherwise I'd have an Audi or a Red Bull (whatever that means). Yet these companies seem to think otherwise. Obviously I'm happy for that otherwise there would be no motor racing but...still don't really understand.
The VW Group sold 9.7million cars last year. So theyre not far behind. If I were to take any car of the 3 manufacturers? Lexus LFA.

Last edited by TF110; 15 May 2014 at 06:09.
Old 15 May 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3406665)   #6527
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If I were to take any car of the 3 manufacturers? Lexus LFA.
I would pick the Porsche 918. I guess our first picks sometimes tells where our allegiance lies! But I will say that the Lexus LFA likely would be my first choice for a car that wasn't a Porsche.

Richard
Old 16 May 2014, 01:48 (Ref:3406822)   #6528
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Dont care for Audi or Porsche much. I think they make nice cars, but the ones in the U.S. are out of my current budget. Maybe one day. Till then I just hope they all make fast GT cars and lmp1's.
Old 16 May 2014, 03:23 (Ref:3406829)   #6529
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Dont care for Audi or Porsche much. I think they make nice cars, but the ones in the U.S. are out of my current budget. Maybe one day. Till then I just hope they all make fast GT cars and lmp1's.
Huhhh?? 'Been drinkin', have you???

jimclark
Old 17 May 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3407163)   #6530
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Audi are testing at Aragon this week-end according to DSC.
Old 22 May 2014, 19:26 (Ref:3409086)   #6531
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Things that the new R18 has that might be "firsts", or at least stuff that hasn't been used in a while or ever:

Screw adjustable front catwalk "flaps"

LM version seems to be exhausting sidepod air out of the rear fenders primarily

Laserlight high beam head lights

Very noisy hybrid system, makes much more noise than the older system did

LM version is the only car to use the Toyota GT-One/Audi R8C type inner fender holes up front

Anything else unique/strange we can think of?
Old 22 May 2014, 19:32 (Ref:3409092)   #6532
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
I think they were marginally beaten to the "racing a laser headlight" punch by BMW in a Z4 GT3 in the VLN earlier in the year.
Old 22 May 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3409112)   #6533
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
R18 had laserlights since it was first tested last year and for the public showing of the prototype/test car in December.

Also, though the BMW i8 was designed first, the Audi R8 LMX beat it to production/sale.
Old 22 May 2014, 22:35 (Ref:3409156)   #6534
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And something that I noticed on the R18 quite a while ago (back druing the prologue test), in addition to the front fenders having an indentation on their inner faces behind the gills (presumably for wheel well venting/flow conditioning), there's some "spot" on the right hand suspension cover plate in front of the windshield.

When it's been opened, there's a wire leading to it. Is it some kind of light or some sensor? It's been on the cars since at least March during the WEC Prologue tests.

Photos:

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...84176197_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...67334745_o.jpg

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...29781961_o.jpg
Old 23 May 2014, 07:24 (Ref:3409268)   #6535
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Very noisy hybrid system, makes much more noise than the older system did
This is probably because they have to run a gearbox/differential at the front, whereas last year they used two (independent) MGUs.
Old 23 May 2014, 16:04 (Ref:3409470)   #6536
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
And looking at the nose of one of the F1 cars in Monaco (it was a Lotus), it had the torsion bars concealed within the tub by an inch or two, instead of protruding.

Could Audi be running a similar deal, considering that the nose of the R18 seems a bit tight for coil overs?
Old 26 May 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3410948)   #6537
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Sorta got something small answered today: What would the 2013 R18 look like with the 2014 color scheme on it? Audi Sport posted photos from a promotional filming with one of the 2013 R18s decaled to look like the 2014 R18. Looks pretty good I think:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...91624257_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...66784252_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...87014295_o.jpg

Last edited by chernaudi; 26 May 2014 at 16:58.
Old 26 May 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3411075)   #6538
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Just watched this video from Sebring qualifying in 2013 and listened to the noise that the hybrid system was making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wjIQuKMdwI

Then I compared it to onboards from this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-1xjkpmwWo

The hybrid systems themselves don't sound much different, but the high-pitched whine sounds like gearbox whine, typical of a transmission with straight cut gears. Since it's so much louder than that the R18's gearbox would be making, could this be the front differential I've heard some mentions of?

I think that this is definite proof, though I've heard some dependency between what was/wasn't allowed, since technically a team can run only one MGU on each end of the car. But it sounds like the front axles are connected to some type of gearbox assembly just based on noise, like the MGU has a PTO that engages with a differential cluster. It sounds like a road racing gearbox used in NASCAR, or a supercharger, that type of noise.

Maybe we'll see some good shots of the front of the R18 to get an idea of the diff/electric motor packaging.

Last edited by chernaudi; 26 May 2014 at 23:02.
Old 27 May 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3411204)   #6539
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
"Audi R18 e-tron quattro ready for official test day at Le Mans"... but once again without Oliver Jarvis ? So it seems at least.
Old 27 May 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3411206)   #6540
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is busy with super GT, anyway he ran at le mans in the last couple of years so he doesn't need to perform the rookie test.
Old 27 May 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3411257)   #6541
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
He doesn't need to attend the test day, but surely Audi would want him in the R18 as much as possible? With the No. 3 car well off the pace at Spa it would seem that its crew/drivers have the most work to do for Le Mans out of the Audi entries.
Old 27 May 2014, 12:03 (Ref:3411271)   #6542
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes is true, but realisticly audi it self doesn't expect that #3 will be the fastest car...
Old 27 May 2014, 12:52 (Ref:3411291)   #6543
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree it's not ideal at all to have Jarvis miss so much seat time - especially with the new cars this year. Would be interesting to know how many kms he's actually clocked up in testing.

Just because the #3 isn't seen as a 'lead' car doesn't mean Audi will just let it slide. They need as many bullets in the gun as possible.
Old 27 May 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3411296)   #6544
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Just because the #3 isn't seen as a 'lead' car doesn't mean Audi will just let it slide. They need as many bullets in the gun as possible.
Further to this, remember last year's race - the #3 was fast enough to be in contention, if not for the puncture.
Old 29 May 2014, 07:30 (Ref:3412209)   #6545
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Technology that "should" have been raced on the new Audi R18 e-tron quattro, namely the e-turbo, finds its way in the Audi RS5 TDI concept:

(source: autobild.de)
Old 29 May 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3412243)   #6546
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ever seen this, Audi fans?
http://appadvice.com/appnn/2014/05/r...paign-and-cars
Old 29 May 2014, 11:31 (Ref:3412293)   #6547
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VW Group in F1?

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/re...switch-report/
Old 29 May 2014, 12:20 (Ref:3412322)   #6548
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Possibly but most probably not with Audi.
Old 29 May 2014, 12:25 (Ref:3412325)   #6549
Velociraptor
Racer

Croatia
Velociraptor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
Possibly but most probably not with Audi.
Audi and Porsche are in WEC, VW in WRC... that leaves, what, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, and the unlikely SEAT or Å*koda. Probably Lambo, they also habe a bull
Old 29 May 2014, 13:02 (Ref:3412345)   #6550
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red Bull Racing Lamborghini would have slightly better ring to it than Red Bull Racing SEAT... not really a brand that can be associated with youthful, energic sporting imago RB feeds.

Anyway usually with these VW news you can just laugh at them and dismiss them immediately (they surface after every couple of months and then they get denied) however as it was Marko that mentioned them as possible supplier now, it's different.