Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 12 Dec 2014, 04:30 (Ref:3484288)   #7526
msd76
Rookie

msd76 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it might have been a littler simpler like the older system they had. For example the second generation R8 LMS might be RS5 or RC5, R for Rennsport, S for Sportscar or C for Coupe (as RS5 might upset Audi’s own marketing people) and 5 as it was the next number in order of projects.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 10:24 (Ref:3484346)   #7527
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
German magazine SportAuto reports today Audi is going for some (radical) changes regarding the engine concept for the 2016 season. In addition to that Audi will trade the flywheel for battery technology in 2016.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 13:18 (Ref:3484391)   #7528
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
German magazine SportAuto reports today Audi is going for some (radical) changes regarding the engine concept for the 2016 season. In addition to that Audi will trade the flywheel for battery technology in 2016.
The best bit of that if true is the effective confirmation that they are planning for 2016.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 17:58 (Ref:3484453)   #7529
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
Will be interesting to see if "radical" means petrol...

If that's the case, Audi could also opt to be rather radical with their V6 TDI in 2015 for what would be the last year of diesel in endurance racing. No need to hold back as any future revision of the EoT will be irrelevant for 2016 onwards...

Last edited by MyNameIsNigel; 12 Dec 2014 at 18:03.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3484489)   #7530
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An I4 Bi-Turbo?
It will lower the weight, giving room for a larger MJ system.

VAG launced a new 2.0L I4 Bi-Turbo engine in the Passat, so there is a lot of road relevance in that choice.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3484494)   #7531
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Pleas please stick to diesel. I love the WOOOOOSH sound.
Old 12 Dec 2014, 22:24 (Ref:3484523)   #7532
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
I suppose someone has to.........
Old 13 Dec 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3484567)   #7533
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Said no one ever!
Old 13 Dec 2014, 03:52 (Ref:3484587)   #7534
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

It does appeal in a futuristic kind of way...
Old 13 Dec 2014, 04:51 (Ref:3484594)   #7535
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well to be honest compared to most other P1's out there.... the Aston Martin V12 P1 is probably the only soundtrack worth burning petrol for...The other petrol P1's could go silent for all I care
Old 13 Dec 2014, 05:03 (Ref:3484595)   #7536
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
An I4 Bi-Turbo?
It will lower the weight, giving room for a larger MJ system.

VAG launced a new 2.0L I4 Bi-Turbo engine in the Passat, so there is a lot of road relevance in that choice.
But then wouldn't it be similar to Porsche's 919 ? 4 cylinders with battery technology? Also, what would VAG think about that?
Old 13 Dec 2014, 07:01 (Ref:3484600)   #7537
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I suppose someone has to.........
I think the Audi 'whoosh' s very impressive..... but only when amongst a grid of variable engine sounds. I would hate a full grid of cars with that sound.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 08:25 (Ref:3484616)   #7538
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ederss7 View Post
But then wouldn't it be similar to Porsche's 919 ? 4 cylinders with battery technology? Also, what would VAG think about that?
If a small displacement turbo-charged petrol engine associated with a big hybrid system is the way to go to be competitive, then why should Audi refrain from following this evolution ? Even Toyota are likely to follow this path and ditch the V8.

What would VAG think if Audi were to stick with the "heavy" and performance-handicapped diesel technology ? Would that be good for the brand image ?

And while I am no believer in the Audi-in-F1 rumor, it would make sense for Audi to switch back to petrol, wouldn't it ?
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3484631)   #7539
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota said the opposite. They said if they would do a brand new engine, it'd be a 4L V8. Of note is the minimum weight of the 2L turbo engines in Super GT is 85kg. In the future class 1 (dtm and gt500) I think they agreed to the use of those engine rules.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3484636)   #7540
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post
If a small displacement turbo-charged petrol engine associated with a big hybrid system is the way to go to be competitive, then why should Audi refrain from following this evolution ? Even Toyota are likely to follow this path and ditch the V8.

What would VAG think if Audi were to stick with the "heavy" and performance-handicapped diesel technology ? Would that be good for the brand image ?

And while I am no believer in the Audi-in-F1 rumor, it would make sense for Audi to switch back to petrol, wouldn't it ?
Why would they do that? It won't save them any weight, and as we saw this year their V8 has better BSFC than the porsche's V4. It surly won't be because of reliability either. So this begs the question at least in racing conditions what's the point of downsizing.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 11:50 (Ref:3484654)   #7541
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
need to say that porsche started to project and develope the V4 engine since 2010... because of budget issues toyota just kept on using a DI updated and larger version of the TS030 motor. Toyota has already developed a competitive and fuel flow tuned turbo engine, the 2.0 L4 used in GT500 and successfully in super formula.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3484658)   #7542
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post

But what about that talk that one of the reasons for Audi and Porsche competing against each other is because they are using different technologies? I mean, if for some reason Audi and Porsche end up using basically the same thing, then in my point of view there would be no reason for both manufacturers being in the WEC at the same time.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3484670)   #7543
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
need to say that porsche started to project and develope the V4 engine since 2010...
The technical director and the head of the LMP1 project only joined Porsche in 2011, so this highly unlikely.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 12:42 (Ref:3484672)   #7544
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
But what about that talk that one of the reasons for Audi and Porsche competing against each other is because they are using different technologies? I mean, if for some reason Audi and Porsche end up using basically the same thing, then in my point of view there would be no reason for both manufacturers being in the WEC at the same time.
Thing is the rules clearly do not favor diesel. Worse, diesel is being handicapped performance-wise. In that respect, it make no sense for Audi to stick with diesel technology. Ultimately, what matters for VAG IMHO is to have both brands competiting at the highest possible performance level, even if this involves having two brands competiting with petrol engines.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3484678)   #7545
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
The technical director and the head of the LMP1 project only joined Porsche in 2011, so this highly unlikely.
thanks for the tip, ok let's say that the project and development of the V4 started in 2011, 3 years before the racing debut of the 919. It didn't change anything.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3484681)   #7546
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More likely the start of 2012. Alex Hitzinger joined at the end of 2011.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3484752)   #7547
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Porsche is a V4, not an I4.
Porsche is a Petrol, where I suggest a Diesel (although I don't write it, I thought that the consensus was that Audi would do Diesel, unless otherwise stated)
Also the Hybrid technology is different between Audi and Porsche.

So a lot of things to differentiate Audi from Porsche, should they chose an I4.

But an intersting thought about the marketing value of Audi's Diesel engines:
I don't remember seeing Audi branding the TDI technology that much any longer. Or people talking about it, other than technical regulations discussions.

Perhaps Audi is freeing themselves up to choosing petrol?
Old 13 Dec 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3484782)   #7548
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
need to say that porsche started to project and develope the V4 engine since 2010... because of budget issues toyota just kept on using a DI updated and larger version of the TS030 motor. Toyota has already developed a competitive and fuel flow tuned turbo engine, the 2.0 L4 used in GT500 and successfully in super formula.
Wrong on two things. Their budget wasnt the reason they chose a V8. On top of that it was a whole new engine compared to the Rebellion unit. And it does not have Direct Injection.
Old 13 Dec 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3484785)   #7549
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This in not "fully" related to Audi but instead is about diesel technology

"Renault is working on a two-cylinder two-stroke diesel"

"thermal efficiency of around 50 %"

LINK: http://www.motorpasion.com/renault/r...de-dos-tiempos

Can anyone explain what kind of engine is this?? Could this be considered for racing??? A lightweight diesel engine…isn´t this what Audi need to have a more powerful hybrid engine???

Feel free to comment, i don´t know nothing about engine´s
Old 13 Dec 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3484796)   #7550
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
This in not "fully" related to Audi but instead is about diesel technology

"Renault is working on a two-cylinder two-stroke diesel"

"thermal efficiency of around 50 %"

LINK: http://www.motorpasion.com/renault/r...de-dos-tiempos

Can anyone explain what kind of engine is this?? Could this be considered for racing??? A lightweight diesel engine…isn´t this what Audi need to have a more powerful hybrid engine???

Feel free to comment, i don´t know nothing about engine´s
Sounds like a diesel powered Moped :b.
Didn't know that two stroke was able to be that efficient. Wasn't efficiency of the reasons there was a change to four stroke?