Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:17 (Ref:801427)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
daft

The ring 24 hours is on the same weekend as Le Mans - how daft is that????
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:32 (Ref:801437)   #2
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
very?
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:33 (Ref:801441)   #3
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
How about TYPICAL !!!
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:37 (Ref:801446)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep it is very daft, but hey look on the Bright side, the Nurburgring 24hrs wont detract from LM. As far as Im aware none of the teams running in the Nurburgring 24hrs are planning to run at LM so neither race should be affected in terms of competitors.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 12:40 (Ref:801450)   #5
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Correct me if i'm wrong, but despite German success at LM, the number of German spectators isn't that high.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 14:48 (Ref:801527)   #6
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
I saw that ; it's pretty unbelievable ; if someone has sort of explanation, I'm curious to read it.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 15:09 (Ref:801545)   #7
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The organisers have in fact apologised for this date clash. What they are saying is that this date has been agreed upon so far in advance that it is impossible to reschedule.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/termine/termine.htm

Around that time of the year, there is something going on on the Nürburgring every weekend.

One might argue that Le Mans always happens on that weekend so why not schedule around it; but I guess the Ring people still don't see themselves as competition to Le Mans. They should give this some more thought.

Audi will have the works cars in the Ring 24 and the (works-supported) privateers at LM; which works drivers will go where remains to be seen. Marc Lieb has stated that although he will be at Le Mans for Porsche he would rather have raced at the Ring; I am sure there are a number of drivers who will think alike (or vice versa). This isn't the first time these two races take place on the same weekend; drivers have been known to take part in both events in the past.

Last edited by cybersdorf; 2 Dec 2003 at 15:09.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 15:21 (Ref:801557)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R
Yep it is very daft, but hey look on the Bright side, the Nurburgring 24hrs wont detract from LM. As far as Im aware none of the teams running in the Nurburgring 24hrs are planning to run at LM so neither race should be affected in terms of competitors.
As far as I know Audi are planning an attack on the Nurburgring so that means there will be no Tom Kristensen there , and Opel will probably do it too so that means no Aiello ..... AGAIN !!!
Old 2 Dec 2003, 15:54 (Ref:801578)   #9
hgb
Racer

hgb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They choose the date on purpose so that the volunteers just need to take the friday off work. The thursday before the race is a bank holiday in Rheinland-Pfalz (the part in Germany where the Ring is). At least that's the explanation which makes the most sense.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 17:58 (Ref:801702)   #10
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
As far as I know Audi are planning an attack on the Nurburgring

With two cars, as last year.

Quote:
...so that means there will be no Tom Kristensen there , and Opel will probably do it too so that means no Aiello ..... AGAIN !!!
Aiello may have some time on his hands next year - he is not with Audi anymore, and not under contract with Opel yet (and I wouldn't bet on it).
Old 2 Dec 2003, 21:28 (Ref:801890)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Do you think that'll make much difference to the times you can visit the Nurburgring circuit?

Does it close for a particularly long time before and after the 24 hour there? (I've asked a similar thing in trackside, but you guys might have some experience of the 24hr there).
Old 2 Dec 2003, 21:49 (Ref:801903)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes it is daft, but havn't they taken place on the same weekend before. Am I right thinking that some drivers have managed to drive in both races - Hans Stuck?
Old 2 Dec 2003, 22:47 (Ref:801936)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
Yes it is daft, but havn't they taken place on the same weekend before.

Several times.

Quote:
Am I right thinking that some drivers have managed to drive in both races - Hans Stuck?
And Klaus Ludwig, and others.
Old 2 Dec 2003, 22:49 (Ref:801937)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
time before and after the 24 hour there?
I'm not sure but don't think so. I believe it was open for public driving on the Monday after the race.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 02:12 (Ref:802061)   #15
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there a F1 race on the same weekend?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 06:22 (Ref:802200)   #16
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by cybersdorf
The organisers have in fact apologised for this date clash. What they are saying is that this date has been agreed upon so far in advance that it is impossible to reschedule.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/termine/termine.htm

Around that time of the year, there is something going on on the Nürburgring every weekend.

One might argue that Le Mans always happens on that weekend so why not schedule around it; but I guess the Ring people still don't see themselves as competition to Le Mans. They should give this some more thought.

Audi will have the works cars in the Ring 24 and the (works-supported) privateers at LM; which works drivers will go where remains to be seen. Marc Lieb has stated that although he will be at Le Mans for Porsche he would rather have raced at the Ring; I am sure there are a number of drivers who will think alike (or vice versa). This isn't the first time these two races take place on the same weekend; drivers have been known to take part in both events in the past.
Ok, it's clear now, thank you Cy.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 06:24 (Ref:802201)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick B
Is there a F1 race on the same weekend?
Yes, the Canadian GP, if I can remember...
Old 3 Dec 2003, 11:50 (Ref:802485)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
daft daft daft
Old 3 Dec 2003, 12:05 (Ref:802504)   #19
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a fabulous PR opportunity for Audi. To win 2 different 24 hour races at the same time, with different cars , maybe with 1 or more drivers competing in both. Surely this would be a first, or have Porsche done something similar during their period of dominance ???
Old 3 Dec 2003, 12:46 (Ref:802548)   #20
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by LC2guy
or have Porsche done something similar during their period of dominance ???
1976 and 77 - the 911s weren't works cars, though.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:22 (Ref:802772)   #21
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by LC2guy
What a fabulous PR opportunity for Audi. To win 2 different 24 hour races at the same time, with different cars , maybe with 1 or more drivers competing in both. Surely this would be a first, or have Porsche done something similar during their period of dominance ???
I believe that that would be, as they say, "taking the p*ss" just a touch.
Old 3 Dec 2003, 16:51 (Ref:802800)   #22
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Yes, the Canadian GP, if I can remember...
Correct.

As far as driving the Nordschleife, I've got some time coming in the UK in the new year, I may have to make it down to the Motherland to take a journey around the Nordschleife. Yummy!

As far as the the UK, I'll be in Selby (near Manchster) for 3 - 6 months, anyone have any advice what to do? I'm a flagger over here, so I really want to get in a day or two marshalling at Croft or Donnington.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 05:52 (Ref:803392)   #23
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Anyone plans to go to Nürbürg instead of LM in June ? And if yes, what are the motivations ? (open question, no offense at all)
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:803462)   #24
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Fab
Anyone plans to go to Nürbürg instead of LM in June ?
I probably will. It promises to be a somewhat more open race than Le Mans, and it's closer to home.
Old 4 Dec 2003, 08:24 (Ref:803463)   #25
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 73_Gstock
As far as the the UK, I'll be in Selby (near Manchster) for 3 - 6 months, anyone have any advice what to do?
Unless there is a second Selby that I don't know about, I wouldn't mention that it is near Manchester when you get there. Selby is in Yorkshire and Manchester is (was) in Lancashire, confusing the two is a mortal sin. As for marshalling in the UK, by American standards pretty much all the UK's race circuits will be within range.