Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 24 Sep 2018, 21:04 (Ref:3852481)   #1
Haugo74
Rookie

Haugo74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat First car for a 18 year old student

So I have a budget at 4k max.

I am very confused about this whole tax thing for older cars, my brother has a mitsubishi eclipse 1998 and he pays 1,2k a year, which I think is way to much for my taste.

So what options do I have if I would like a similar "need for speed type" sport car?

If you guys have any other recommendations for my first car that does not match my description, please tell them anyway. I am open minded and very unintelligent in this whole car world.

Sorry for my english, its late and my it's not my native language.

Cheers from Sweden!
Old 25 Sep 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3852531)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugo74 View Post
So I have a budget at 4k max.

I am very confused about this whole tax thing for older cars, my brother has a mitsubishi eclipse 1998 and he pays 1,2k a year, which I think is way to much for my taste.

So what options do I have if I would like a similar "need for speed type" sport car?

If you guys have any other recommendations for my first car that does not match my description, please tell them anyway. I am open minded and very unintelligent in this whole car world.

Sorry for my english, its late and my it's not my native language.

Cheers from Sweden!
I'd be confused about your taxes too. It seems your taxes in Sweden are based on CO2 emissions, with a healthy multiplier and bonus for diesels. If you want to avoid excessive taxation, get a fuel efficient petrol car is my conclusion.

Don't forget the other big cost: insurance. At 18, that will be very high and you're better off getting something a little cheaper and slower than you might have wanted.

About a year ago I bought my first car at 23. It's a 2011 Renault Twingo 1.2. It's not very powerful, it's not very fast, it's not very big, but above all it's not very expensive because it's lightweight (determining factor for tax over here), cheap to insure and reasonably fuel efficient. When I'm done studying in six months and my budget goes up I might get something more to my liking, but to be honest I can have plenty of fun in my Twingo already.

I would suggest aiming low for now with the idea that you can get something more interesting when your budget increases and insurance companies will trust you with it. Your best option will be something like an A- or B-segment hatchback with 75-125 hp. If you don't care about taking friends, there are some small coupés and roadsters that could also fit your budget.

Your first car doesn't have to be your dream car. Your next car can be your dream car though.

P.S. Is LPG a thing in Sweden? If you're making reasonable mileage yearly, think about getting an LPG-equipped car.
Old 26 Sep 2018, 08:51 (Ref:3852727)   #3
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This thread is probably better placed over here in the Road Car forum.

Hopefully you will be able to get the answers you need here.
Old 29 Sep 2018, 16:09 (Ref:3853279)   #4
Haugo74
Rookie

Haugo74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat Suggest a car for me!

Okay so here is my bio:
Im a 18 year old student looking for a reliable commuter car, that still got some sweet customization options. I do not really care about the horse power, since the higher it goes the higher the tax, but around 150 would be preferred. Also, it can be too old, since it adds a lot to the tax, im thinking about around 2000-2010?
I am planning on keeping this car for a very long time and putting some love into it.
I got a budget on 4k max.

What cars are worth looking into? What was your first car?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers from Sweden!
Old 29 Sep 2018, 17:49 (Ref:3853293)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
(Threads merged)
Old 1 Oct 2018, 22:39 (Ref:3853931)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Difficult one to answer, however 150 HP seems a lot for a first car and so would an insurance company especially in the UK ! maybe Swedish insurance companies are more lenient ?
Take a look at what other people are using for a commuter car and remember that a "common" car normally is cheaper to run as the spares are plentiful and cheap on the "aftermarket" whereas on an "oddfish" car the parts will normally only be available from main agents (and their prices) ! It's always difficult to put an old head on a young body and sometimes impossible !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !