Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 28 Feb 2014, 00:37 (Ref:3372978)   #1
brico
Rookie

brico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hearing Protection / Ear Muffs

So we're getting ready to attend this year's race (for the first time) and are currently making our list and checking it twice so to speak.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and the information we've located on the site has been extremely helpful. But I do have one remaining question - what is the preferred hearing protection/ear muffs of the ten-tenths community? I've located a few comments on various threads accross the forum and have narrowed it down to the following:
1. 3M Work Tunes (formerly Peltor)
2. Elvex Quiet Tunes 660

I've read that the FM reception of both is touch and go. If anyone has used these at Le Mans and can speak to the reception I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:17 (Ref:3373036)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I have never used these things, i have a normal sony walkman radio and ear phones, the noise from the cars is part of the event and i do feel that if you put on ear protection muffs you one miss the atmosphere of the circuit and two put your self at risk when walking around not being able to hear everything around you. Yes these things are good for listening to RLM but are they essential/safe perhaps not
Old 28 Feb 2014, 07:51 (Ref:3373046)   #3
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I usually use an iPod Nano with in-ears with foam tips.
It takes the edge of the cars sound, so you can hear the radio more clearly.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3373081)   #4
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I figured I'd come away from a 24-hour race with a massive headache but the last three years it simply hasn't been the case.

As the guys say wearing in-ear earphones for RLM will dull the sensation slightly. Biggest thing for me is just finding something comfortable enough to have stuffed in your ear for 24 hours. We just use small portable radios.

For sure some people will have sensitive or damaged ears but it's not like the sound of a Le Mans field is particularly brutal these days.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:38 (Ref:3373133)   #5
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brico View Post
So we're getting ready to attend this year's race (for the first time) and are currently making our list and checking it twice so to speak.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and the information we've located on the site has been extremely helpful. But I do have one remaining question - what is the preferred hearing protection/ear muffs of the ten-tenths community? I've located a few comments on various threads accross the forum and have narrowed it down to the following:
1. 3M Work Tunes (formerly Peltor)
2. Elvex Quiet Tunes 660

I've read that the FM reception of both is touch and go. If anyone has used these at Le Mans and can speak to the reception I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Brian
Personally I've always found my trusty old Mk1 Big Lugs do the job. I've had them for sixty-six years now and they still seem to be working fine.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 11:44 (Ref:3373137)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i don't use hearing protection at le mans, but got quite offended when the corvettes woke me up during warm up

however, i can recommend the noise isolation qualities of a decent pair of earbuds as CTD says - something like the sennheiser cx300 is very good value. they form a seal (not the mammal) in your ear canal, so much less sound gets through. but take a cheap pair of earplugs if you're keen to get some sleep whilst the race is running
Old 28 Feb 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3373142)   #7
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
they form a seal (not the mammal) in your ear canal
Love it! Glad you cleared that up bella
Old 28 Feb 2014, 12:23 (Ref:3373148)   #8
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
I just use my MP4 player so I can listen to radio Le Mans as well.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 12:40 (Ref:3373151)   #9
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A pair of seals would certainly smother the noise of the cars though!
Agree with others above, I use in-ear phones with a rubber earpiece. Takes the harshness off the noise.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 13:55 (Ref:3373181)   #10
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I'm one of the only one's here using earmuffs then? I like these beter because you don't get pain in your ear, that may be different for everyone though. I also like the ease of use of the earmuffs. Just pop in a pair of double AA's and I'm good for the whole 24 hours, I'm also free of any wires hanging around my neck and such.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3373216)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I tend to do both - running the cables for in-ear headphones under a pair of fairly industrial ear defenders.

A lot of the time the headphones will suffice, especially if you're a bit back from the track, but spaces where the noise can echo about a bit (covered grandstands along the start-finish straight for example) ear defenders can be appreciated.

It's horses for courses, and will depend on how sensitive everyone's ears are, but for me I'd rather not run the risk of noise induced hearing loss.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 17:22 (Ref:3373270)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't wear any for ear protection.

But I do wear the Quietunes as the sound-deadening for the radio is brilliant.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3373318)   #13
NelisB
Veteran

Netherlands
Deventer
NelisB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I tend to do both - running the cables for in-ear headphones under a pair of fairly industrial ear defenders.

A lot of the time the headphones will suffice, especially if you're a bit back from the track, but spaces where the noise can echo about a bit (covered grandstands along the start-finish straight for example) ear defenders can be appreciated.

It's horses for courses, and will depend on how sensitive everyone's ears are, but for me I'd rather not run the risk of noise induced hearing loss.
Well, Le mans is not the only race I'm going to (WSBK, MotoGP (F1, hides in corner). I'm regularly at tracks and rather be safe than sorry with my 1 pair of ears Though I only wear the earmuffs with FM radio at Le Mans because of Radio Le Mans, the other tracks I use my normal inear-protector thingies.
Old 28 Feb 2014, 21:28 (Ref:3373351)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can't say I've ever worn them, or been tempted to - and these days, racing engines are a lot less noisy than they used to be. The only time I've ever thought about my ears was standing at Graham Hill Bend for the European Grand Prix at Brands in 1985 (or was it '86?). Man those turbos were loud.........
Old 1 Mar 2014, 01:57 (Ref:3373432)   #15
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Can't say I've ever worn them, or been tempted to - and these days, racing engines are a lot less noisy than they used to be. The only time I've ever thought about my ears was standing at Graham Hill Bend for the European Grand Prix at Brands in 1985 (or was it '86?). Man those turbos were loud.........
Remembering my first encounter with F1 turbos in Austria 1986 I distinctly recall the wall of noise being almost a solid (and thrillingly so...).

Moving on a year or two, for all that there was something magnificent about the Aston Martin LMPs in 2009 I can still feel the ringing in ears caused by sitting in one of the covered Silverstone grandstands and seeing the full pack hurtle past. Magnificent, but much like looking straight at the sun, not something to be done every day.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3373640)   #16
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm too young to have seen 80's F1 turbos in a full pack. But I do remember seeing Renaul RS01 warming up at Goodwood in a really close distance. And that was loud!
I always have a pack of earplugs with me whether I use them or not.
Old 1 Mar 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3373676)   #17
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While expensive, custom molded earphones are still the way to go. last set you'll ever buy.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 1 Mar 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3373761)   #18
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You only need ear protection when you are on a grandstand on the pitstraight however if you want to follow the race listening to the brilliant report of RLM is a must. So buy yourself a simple noisereduction headphone with radio and enjoy. As said it's not as loud as it used to be. Boy I love those Corvettes.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3373956)   #19
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I wear a pair of the Worktunes ear defenders while marshalling, with built in FM/AM radio. That way I keep my hearing for longer, AND I know from Hindy and the guys what is going on.
Old 2 Mar 2014, 10:37 (Ref:3373973)   #20
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Hey Steve I thought you were supposed to be listening to the chief marshal not RLM
Old 2 Mar 2014, 11:28 (Ref:3373994)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
You hear him on RLM at times too.......
Old 2 Mar 2014, 11:45 (Ref:3374000)   #22
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Hey Steve I thought you were supposed to be listening to the chief marshal not RLM
That would depend on whether he's speaking French or English!!!!!!
Old 3 Mar 2014, 12:26 (Ref:3374364)   #23
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tarrant View Post
I wear a pair of the Worktunes...
Snap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	snap.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	470.5 KB
ID:	42092
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3374424)   #24
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Ear defenders are for poofs , imo of course
Old 3 Mar 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3374571)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I had my Quietunes on too - same as Tony. Who said the art of conversation was dead - Pascal just looks bemused!