Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1256597)   #1
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What do you think Ferrari will do to avoid falling too far behind?

Two races and two mediocre Ferrari performances.

It's still early days, but obviously the danger for them, with Renault looking so good, is that they begin to fall to far behind.

What do you reckon they will or should do to rectify the issue?

Is it all about tyres?
Have they got complacent?
What about the 2005 car?
Should they build another dedicated track of their own to undertake even more testing?
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1256601)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Fit a 'Flintstones' style open floor.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1256605)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They'll debut the new car in Bahrain, I believe.

May as well.

If it blows up - no points.

If they race the old one and it's too slow - no points.

Nothing to lose.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:30 (Ref:1256619)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Ferrari have hit panic stations yet, they expected the other teams to outclass their old car and even with some dire race performances (by their standards) they're still only 2 points behind Toyota in second.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:34 (Ref:1256625)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed, Brawn has stated it very clearly that the results in Malaysia would dictate when the F2005 is being introduced. And looking at this weekend, there's little doubt we'd see it in Bahrain.

The reason Ferrari wanted to use the F2004M is hoping that the car could compete on points and podiums, and give Ferrari time to perfect the F2005. But at this stage, there's little point in running the F2004M any longer, as it isn't competing for points, and is now barely as fast as a Sauber. The qualifying is a wake up call, the race is a struggle. There's zero risk in bringing the F2005, even if it fails to score...at least the F2005 is "track tested" in race conditions.

A little bit of mis-calculation on Ferrari's part...they may have placed too much faith in the F2004M, but on hindsight, the signs were already there... in Brazil, the F2004M is barely faster Mclaren/Williams, and with such a huge regulation change, merely tuning the F2004 isn't going to be enough.

The good thing is that, while Renault is running away with the constructors points, Ferrari is still on par with Williams and ahead of Mclaren.

The biggest unknown would be Bridgestones. With the likes of RBR running so well, together with Toyota, even Sauber was running with the Ferraris, the indication is that Michelin has a very good tyres. The pressure is on Bridgestone..just match Michelin in terms of tyres and let Ferrari handle the rest.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:36 (Ref:1256632)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From a point of view of keeping the public entertained - and bear in mind a lot of the viewers are at the "Anyone but Schumacher" stage, a bad season for Ferrari could just what the doctor ordered for F1.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:46 (Ref:1256651)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Don't think the problem is with the car,even with last years car they shouldn't be running around with Saubers and Redbulls.

The problem is with the tyres,pure and simple.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1256662)   #8
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think tyres has alot to do with it, but they won't be panicking. Yet.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1256672)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yup, I agree. Tyres has to be the problem, which is a problem that cannot be cured overnight.

I also agree that a bad season for Ferrari would be good for F1 after all the bad feelings that have been vented towards their campaign this year and last.

Im sure their old car is also a factor, but lets not take away what Renault have come up with, they obvoiusly have a great car regardless of what Ferrari do.

Last edited by Sodemo; 20 Mar 2005 at 09:56.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1256686)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be a shame for Michael if Ferrari have such a bad season that he decides to jack it in.

I'm no Schuey fan as I'm sure you know, but to see such a successful champion go out of F1 on a monumental low would be pretty sad.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:08 (Ref:1256698)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
No it wouldn't
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:10 (Ref:1256701)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most champions nowadays hold on for too long and go out on lows.

Mansell...1994 & 1995 with Williams & McLaren
Hill hanging on the three years after Williams with Arrows & Jordan
Hakkinen 2000 (not so bad I guess)
Piquet 1991 with Benetton (alongside some rookie German thrashing him)
Prost (as a driver, went out in style, but buying Ligier and running it into the ground!)
Villeneuve 2005 with Sauber
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:11 (Ref:1256703)   #13
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't mind him going out on a low
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:14 (Ref:1256710)   #14
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Most champions nowadays hold on for too long and go out on lows.

Mansell...1994 & 1995 with Williams & McLaren
Hill hanging on the three years after Williams with Arrows & Jordan
Hakkinen 2000 (not so bad I guess)
Piquet 1991 with Benetton (alongside some rookie German thrashing him)
Prost (as a driver, went out in style, but buying Ligier and running it into the ground!)
Villeneuve 2005 with Sauber
You can't really blame Hakkinen for staying in too long, he got out before it got worse.
JV is a completely different story. every year after his championship was a low, and now he's making things even worse.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1256721)   #15
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Ferrari have got complacent!

To think your old car will whip other teams new expensively developed cars is a huge assumption - which they have got very wrong.

That's the fault of Todt and Brawn, not MS.

It's also interesting on the Bridgestone issue. There were complaints last year about the dedicated Ferrari support and program. But now with Michelin getting far more miles in testing - they have lost out too.

Pierre Desperate-squirt-ier may not be so desperate after all and must be similing.

What would be disaster for Ferrari would be a 2005 car that takes a few races to bed-in. By then the championship could be gone.

It's potentially quite a major issue.

Would MS bother to keep going if he wasn't guaranteed the best kit and have to scrap in the pack, which he is proven not to be be very tolerant or competent (?) in doing. I think that could be a key reason (having achieved the lot) to finally quit.

That in turn could wallop Ferrari even more.

What a fascinating year ahead!

Last edited by Hugh Jarce; 20 Mar 2005 at 10:27.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1256732)   #16
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lots of unanswered questions, which does certainly make it intriguing!

Personally, I think if Ferrari don't recover in time to rescue the Championship, Michael will be all the more motivated to regain the WDC in 2006. And if Michael's motivated, the rest of the team will be. It was similar in 2003/4. OK Michael went on to win it in 2003, but it was by the narrowest of margins and we were all predicting a new winner in 2004. Instead, Ferrari delivered the goods and Michael produced his most imperious season ever.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:31 (Ref:1256733)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If they pull themselves out of this, it'll be some achievement. The danger is, they are capable.

The Bahrain situation is interesting. I don't think Rubens and Michael have driven a yard in the new car. They will have very limited time to get used to it in testing before flying off to Bahrain.

Also, there may only be one F2005 available......who uses it? Theoretically, it should be Barrichello......

Last edited by Knowlesy; 20 Mar 2005 at 10:32. Reason: Spacker spelling error.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1256740)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Because he's ahead in the championship? You could argue that Michael should have it as #1 driver, or equally that Rubens should have it if they feel it might be less reliable and they need to "test" it in a GP.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:38 (Ref:1256747)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It's an unknown really isn't it garcon......from what I gather, this is the first time that Rubens has ever lead Michael in the championship.

Rubens should get the car IMO............he is leading and at the moment, however short that moment turns out to be, he is Ferraris leading man. If he doesn't get the car, he may be a little miffed.

At the same time, Michael is number 1 in the team and is desperately unhappy with the current situation. Imagine his reaction if he didn't get the f2005?

How will ferrari deal with it?
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1256755)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Unless they have reliability concerns (in which case Rubens will get it!), I reckon they'll have two ready to go.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1256766)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yer, I'd concur with that.

Better to take two, potentially unreliable, but quicker Ferraris than two slow Sauber fettlers.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1256769)   #22
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They may be able to build two chassis in time but could they manufactor all the spares needed aswell? It's a tall order, even for Ferrari.

Last edited by Silk Cut Jaguar; 20 Mar 2005 at 10:50.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1256860)   #23
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael's quote:

Quote:
Of course, seventh place is not exactly worth celebrating, but I feel that I did the best I could have done today, coming up from 13th on the grid. My car ran reliably and with no problems. I was a bit conservative in the early stages, to be sure of having a competitive car in the closing parts and, given the situation I can be happy with two points. A Formula 1 car is very complex and there is not one single factor to blame for our poor performance. We are simply not strong enough in several areas at the moment. We are well aware of that and we are and we will continue to work hard to deal with that. Now I head to Mugello to drive the F2005 for the first time. Driving a new car is always something special, so I am looking forward to that.
Rubens' quote:

Quote:
The race was going quite well at first and I was able to fight for at least sixth place. All of a sudden the car developed quite a lot of oversteer. I radioed the team and they told me that they could tell that there had been a change to the aerodynamics on the car and the handling was transformed: it was very bad. Then, when I pitted again, they found that a piece of rubber had got attached to the wing. But, because I had run for at least 20 laps with too much oversteer, it ruined my rear tyres. It's a shame, because until then the balance of the car was good. I wasn't quick enough to win of course, but I could have ended up in the top six.
I take it from Rubens' quote that he basically retired because of his ruined rear tyres. Am I correct?
Old 20 Mar 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1256878)   #24
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
The Bahrain situation is interesting. I don't think Rubens and Michael have driven a yard in the new car. They will have very limited time to get used to it in testing before flying off to Bahrain.

Also, there may only be one F2005 available......who uses it? Theoretically, it should be Barrichello......
If for some reason there is only one car are the team allowed to run 2 different spec cars in one race??
Old 20 Mar 2005, 12:37 (Ref:1256882)   #25
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

I think they have to change!

To remain as they are is to be uncompetitive and off the lead.

They can't be 100% confident of the new package or else they would have gone earlier. So that's a gamble as well.

I wonder what Bridgestone are up to? Shall I pop down one Juenction down the M4 and have a look. They seem to have dropped well off the development race this year and have let the Prancing or perhaps should be say Trotting Horse down.