Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jul 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1659456)   #51
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I'd be guessing that the article exludes 1999 and mostly looks at the 2000-2006 stuff, it stats pretty much in the stats. It does mention a little of the 1999 campaign at the start but then really worries about the version that went onto so much success.

In the history books, it is really the time from 2000 that will be noticed and the shape and version from 2000 is the one that endured the success. Sure the R8C and R8R may have been platforms, but it was never the versions that went onto success.

And that the BMW was being wound down still does not change the fact that they could not beat the Audi...
Old 18 Jul 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1659522)   #52
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
There is no doubt that the R8R and R8C is the starting point for the R8, the fact that it lost an "R" in its name does not change its origins. In fact the R8R and R8C were not the first versions anyway, but that is when Audi hit the track in anger.

The BMW was really being wound down in 1999 and start of 2000. In fact, I don't know if it recieved any updates at all. .
Oh go on then what came before the R8R?

And as for the BMW being wound down in 99 - It was a NEW CAR for 1999! And it won Le Mans - It had little or nothing (aside from the engine) to do with the 1998 V12LM
Old 19 Jul 2006, 06:56 (Ref:1659709)   #53
Svierge
Racer

Finland
Bucks/UK
Svierge has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
Are we being selective and choosing it from there or including it from the start?

There is no doubt that the R8R and R8C is the starting point for the R8, the fact that it lost an "R" in its name does not change its origins. In fact the R8R and R8C were not the first versions anyway, but that is when Audi hit the track in anger.

The BMW was really being wound down in 1999 and start of 2000. In fact, I don't know if it recieved any updates at all. It certainly wasn't making enough downforce and struggled with cooling, this, along with BMW being in F1, meant they did not take the cars to the last race in Adelaide. They were actually in all of the promotional material and programme, didn't travel to Australia.

Interviews with Paul Rosche indicated that the program for F1 occured a long way back, and funds were directed towrds it.

It is you who is being selective. If you're going to say that the R8 was linked to the R8R, then you can make a direct comparison with BMW's '98 LMP1, which was something of a failure, I'm sure you'll agree...
Old 19 Jul 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1660006)   #54
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The machines the Audi were up against in the early days were never at the end of their life. They were new or near new. No one (particularly the manufacturers) could claim their cars were obsolete
Old 24 Jul 2006, 16:56 (Ref:1663490)   #55
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
The second part of the Audi R8 retrospective is up at

http://feedmesportscars.com/node/809

if anyone is interested
Old 27 Jul 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1666012)   #56
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svierge
It is you who is being selective. If you're going to say that the R8 was linked to the R8R, then you can make a direct comparison with BMW's '98 LMP1, which was something of a failure, I'm sure you'll agree...
I'm confused. When did I write that I was discounting the 1998 car? Some other posts have talked more about the 1999 BMW, but they were not by me. I think the 1998 BMW was a very good car, but if I remember correctly, it had problems with cooling on hot days, or when following a car. The air intakes were mounted low to reduce drag, and as the track heated up, hot air was sucked in to the engine rather than cool air. When following a car, the air intakes were in somewhat of an air pocket formed behind the car ahead.

I am not playing favourites with the BMW LMR, although some people think they have 'caught me out' in that act of doing just that.

Regarding the pre R8R/R8C car, I can remember it in my mind, but I will have to hunt around for an image.

When I checked the records of the 1999 race, as it was brought up here, I was intrigued by the qualifying results. What happend there? I'm assuming there were no incidents during qualifying to affect the Audi times, but if someone has some information about that it might be handy.

Disagreeing is quite ok, particularly if there is some evidence or reference put forward, but the sarcasm could be given a break.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1666617)   #57
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
I think whenever you take the life of the Audi R8 from, it is an amazingly successful car, as demostrated by the articles. The 1999 BMW also deserves credit afterall it beat some amazing competition - argueably stronger than what the R8 faced.
But what the R8 did was scare off the competition. Cadallic could not get their stuff together, Panoz left LMP900, the BMW could not keep up the pace and other potentials did not think they could beat it consistantly (or so it would appear)
Old 29 Jul 2006, 00:15 (Ref:1666909)   #58
HeelNToe38
Rookie

HeelNToe38 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
It never even had an engine failure (i think) .

I reckon its the prototype that set the standard and nobody ever came close to knocking it off its perch . Sure , there were a few one off's , but nothing really challanged it .

I hate to say it , but it "was" better that the 956/962 !!!

I hate saying that !!!
My sentiments exactly! The 956/962 was the car that stole my heart til the R8 came along!
Old 29 Jul 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1667152)   #59
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo
But what the R8 did was scare off the competition. Cadallic could not get their stuff together, Panoz left LMP900, the BMW could not keep up the pace and other potentials did not think they could beat it consistantly (or so it would appear)
To a point, more importantly, the R8 hit the tracks just as the sportscar boom was turning to bust, and F1 was on the up.

Thankfully for Audi, the R10 has arrived as the prototype ranks are on an upwards curve, so they will face much stiffer opposition.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1667909)   #60
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
Yeah, fortunately the Audi R10 will have Peugeot - neither manufactuer will be willing to settle for second best...
Old 10 Dec 2006, 01:05 (Ref:1786143)   #61
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
And remember that the R8 was raced for longer than even Audi probably expected, and it still won! Just look at the Houston ALMS race. It ran .9 sec. faster than the Porsche Spyder, and even more than the nearest LMP 1 car in the first practice, was still much faster than anything else in practice#2, and was only marginally beaten in qualifying due to a minor handling problem, and ran lead the most laps, and also had the fastest race lap( which was faster than they ran in qualifying).

Granted, the competition wasn't the best, but I believe that Toyota heard what the R8 could do back in '99 when it was being tested in the fall of that year, and ran away with their tail between their legs! And those who wanter to go against the Audi R8, tried, and failed, repeatedly, irregardless of who they were, how much money they had, and what car they used.

Even when Audi wound down factory support for the R8 after '04, when work on the R10 really started to pick up, privateers still raced and won quite frequently with the cars( Ie: ADT Champion Racing). Although Audi still supported the teams on a semi factory basis, the teams themselves were the most responsible for milking ever more speed and performance out of these cars.

And they are the closest thing to a sports car that could ben entered in to a demo derby( or a NASCAR race at Bristol or Martinsville) and survive. They've hit concrete walls, guardrails, other cars, and still made it back to the pits with damage that would lead most other cars to be abandoned at the side of the track( see LM '04), and also race competitively with damage that would cripple most other cars.

Was the R8 really that great? That's pretty much up to personal opinion. However, an old Racer Magazine article stated that the Audi R8 would still've regulary humilliated the competition anyways, no matter who showed up, ow with what, especially if they were built to the same rules.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 01:15 (Ref:1786158)   #62
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I think you've pretty much answered your own question. Yes the Audi R8 really was a very good car and indeed one of the best racing cars of all time. IMO.
Old 10 Dec 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1786820)   #63
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And it looked good too, which is more than you can say of the R10!
Old 12 Dec 2006, 04:11 (Ref:1788598)   #64
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I know that I've already asked this question, but does anyone know about the R8 engine's bore/stroke, length, width, and height demensions? I desperately want to know, but I can't find anything.