Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 14 Oct 2018, 11:09 (Ref:3856789)   #1
johnpage
Rookie

johnpage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impossible in the wet!

My Ralt RT32 is impossible in the wet!
Driven very quietly it simply spins it's rear wheels and spins.
The dampers are in good condition but probably valved "as original".
The car would have had hard springs when new but I am running 350 rears and 250 fronts
Corner weights are about 85kg each for the fronts and 150kg each for the rears
Handling in the dry is reasonable.
The suspension moves up and down ok when springs etc are removed and so there is no geometric lock.
The car moves very little when I jump on the front and is solid awhen I jump on the back.
Any thoughts to help greatly appreciated!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3856795)   #2
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The general rule is to soften everything in the wet - spring (wheel) rates, anti-roll and damping.

Shift brake bias to the rear.

Soften your hoof settings too!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3856802)   #3
snailpace85
Rookie

United Kingdom
Midlands
snailpace85 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should first point out that I have no experience with high downforce cars so you might want to take what I say with some caution!

The fact that you get next to no movement at the back with 350 lb/in springs is suspicious - it would certainly produce spinning wheels and spinning car if the rear suspension is effectively way over stiff. Obviously heaving up and down to check this should be done with the dampers backed right off. I would expect obvious movement at these spring rates from heaving up and down vigorously on whichever end of the car.

Like I say though, no experience of very high downforce cars like this one but... the impression I always had was that such cars have deliberately limited suspension movement simply because they need to work in a certain range. Wet track = lower speeds = less downforce so are you sure that the car isn't simply 'topped out' on the rebound limit of the suspension. Setting up for the wet may be a bit more than just backing off A/R bar, damping (and spring rate if you've got time) but also other adjustments to ride height and suspension travel stops. You really need someone to post who knows these cars well!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 16:25 (Ref:3856814)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Run the rear with softer springs and disconnect the rear ARB just disconnect the link on one side to try it. Have you played about with tyre pressures to see if it makes a difference ? whatever only make one change at a time and when you do make a big change so you can feel the change easily.
Surely you must have asked others with a similar car ?
A car set up front to rear is a compromise to suit different driving styles (and ability). It can be difficult to make one end of a car to have more grip and can possibly only be altered my making the other end grip less.
Aero is another ball game on top of this as the faster you go the more grip you have !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 14 Oct 2018 at 16:50.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Oct 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3856910)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpage View Post
The car would have had hard springs when new but I am running 350 rears and 250 fronts
The suspension moves up and down ok when springs etc are removed and so there is no geometric lock.
The car moves very little when I jump on the front and is solid awhen I jump on the back.

You didn't mention whether the tyres were old or new. Might be a factor if old?
Old 15 Oct 2018, 11:41 (Ref:3856916)   #6
Gravel Trap
Rookie

Gravel Trap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you considered allowing an experienced driver to test the car? Their feedback may give you clear direction.
Old 6 Dec 2018, 18:04 (Ref:3868336)   #7
St Eval
Rookie

St Eval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpage View Post

Hi John, did you get this sorted? I can tell you that we run a totally different set up to what you describe. This is on our RT33/34. It works wet or dry.

Roy Sims
Old 30 Mar 2019, 18:45 (Ref:3894312)   #8
pensio
Rookie

pensio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grip of front is good, if its wett.
A lot of static campper is a problem with little g power.
Most likely balance problem. cornerweights.blogspot.com