Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Nov 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2343591)   #51
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2974

2 news in 1 day from FIA/WTCC that actually makes sense? Sounds 2 good to be true. TCT, you do know it's not 1st of April today?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2343779)   #52
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Of course in the real world, where you might come across non track perfect surfaces, possibly even covered with snow or ice, a FWD car has a better chance of taking your, and your family, from A to B without hitting a truck in the opposing lane after losing control.
Bull ****. I prefer RWD on snow and ice too. You can loose control of FWD car too and it's much easier to handle sliding rear with gas pedal than try to stop FWD under steering and make it turn with left foot breaking... At least for me.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 17:05 (Ref:2343891)   #53
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stedevil , you can keep your FWD on any surface you like ! It has just three intrinsic handling characteristics ; understeer , more understeer , and terminal understeer ! As your Chevrolet Lacetti loses front-end grip on ice , and the car carries straight on into a pine tree , killing yourself and all aboard , the last sound you will hear is that of me laughing at your ignorance of chassis dynamics .

Meanwhile , the estimable Valker , having entered the same curve and noticed the front end of his BMW starting to run wide , will have wound on a bit more lock , got onto the throttle , and safely negotiated the corner in a perfectly-controlled tail-out oversteer slide .

There is a perfectly fair way to equate the performance of a turbo engine with a naturally-aspirated motor . If a turbo motor boosts at one bar over atmospheric pressure , then it can be half the capacity of the n/a motor ; if it boosts at two bars over atmospheric pressure , then it can be a third of the capacity of the n/a equivalent . This is an entirely fair and equitable method , because the internal combustion engine is after all simply a gas pump , and its output should be directly proportional to both absolute inlet pressure and its swept volume .

Perhaps , stedevil , BMW should be further punished for its superior technology by making them use an all-cast iron , 2 valve per cylinder , pushrod motor , a three-speed non-synchromesh gearbox , and a live rear axle suspended on semi-elliptical leaf springs ?
Old 29 Nov 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2343912)   #54
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
handbags at ten paces!
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2343966)   #55
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker
Bull ****. I prefer RWD on snow and ice too. You can loose control of FWD car too and it's much easier to handle sliding rear with gas pedal than try to stop FWD under steering and make it turn with left foot breaking... At least for me.
I've driven a lot with both RWD and FWD and and I LIKE RWD more (the tail happiness is FUN) but the "understeering" is a lot easier to recover from than the sudden snap of the backend stepping out in RWD (in worst case right into the opposing lane of traffic). It's all about learning how to drive a FWD. You just can't do like you would do in a RWD, or you end up off the road. Panicking and breaking is counter productive in FWD. You got to either (mild understeer) just lift the foot of the gas or (heavy understeer) power out of the situation. Breaking just adds even more understeer on slipper surface. That is what most people who only know how to drive RWD do wrong when in a FWD car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
stedevil , you can keep your FWD on any surface you like ! It has just three intrinsic handling characteristics ; understeer , more understeer , and terminal understeer !
Are you seriously this clueless? Please do yourself a favour and google for "scandinavian flick". Might save your life if you happen to be driving in a FWD car one day.
Quote:
This is an entirely fair and equitable method , because the internal combustion engine is after all simply a gas pump
Actually you are wrong. A combustion engine is a thermal delta engine, not a gas pump. That is also why your proposed method of equalization is wrong. Compression affects heat, and thus the power equation, to a large degree. Now I also gave you a clue what intercoolers is all about and why eg F1 teams have limits for how much they are allowed to cool their fuel.
Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2344024)   #56
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most people dont know the difference between FWD and RWD anyway, nevermind how to control it.. A normal drivers reaction to losing control would be hitting the brakes, so all of youre points Clive are invalid
Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2344029)   #57
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my car is fwd and does understeer, but you just have to ease of the throttle a bit and just keep steering

and also the other day it drifted round a roundabout, so again it was ease of and apply a tiny bit of opposite lock.

btw, i've only been driving 6 months so it isn't complicated
Old 29 Nov 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2344031)   #58
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
im just saying, the other day I saw a guy in a Honda CIvic Coupe try to do a burnout type drift out of a carpark and cunched into a brick wall
Old 30 Nov 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2344084)   #59
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
im just saying, the other day I saw a guy in a Honda CIvic Coupe try to do a burnout type drift out of a carpark and cunched into a brick wall
Well, a bad driver can bin anything. That you in some countries can next to find a driving licence at the bottom of a cornflake package of course doesnt help the situation. But at least here in Sweden you can't even get a driving license without passing a required basic course in how to recover from loss of grip and how to make a high speed (70km/h) avoidance manoeuvre (steering round eg a virtual Moose).
Old 30 Nov 2008, 11:36 (Ref:2344184)   #60
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Okay guys, enough off topic please, keep the thread about the planned rule changes to WTCC.
Old 30 Nov 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2344517)   #61
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ENOUGH OFF TOPIC

Last edited by JMeissner; 1 Dec 2008 at 07:41.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 14:45 (Ref:2345705)   #62
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=2987

Well, seems Lada is already struggling with exactly the problem I've been talking about for the last year... lack of 2.0 NA engines...
Might be a big problem if they are not allowed to keep lugging that 20+ year old Opel engine around, from model to model...
Old 2 Dec 2008, 15:05 (Ref:2345713)   #63
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Thinking further... how exactly is the Chevy Cruse going to manage the same?

AFAIK, there wont be a 2,0L NA for it either, even in N America (1.4 turbo seems to be the target there).

Guess more people will be lugging that 20+ old Opel engine around for 1 more year until they finally will be allowed to put a current engine in in 2010.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2345846)   #64
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately , I've been censored , so as a matter of principle , I will no longer be contributing to this thread . I hope that those of you who have brought about this supression of free speech are all very proud of the parts you have played in denying a platform to an honest opinion , honestly held , and honestly expressed .
Old 2 Dec 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2345924)   #65
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedevil
Thinking further... how exactly is the Chevy Cruse going to manage the same?

AFAIK, there wont be a 2,0L NA for it either, even in N America (1.4 turbo seems to be the target there).

Guess more people will be lugging that 20+ old Opel engine around for 1 more year until they finally will be allowed to put a current engine in in 2010.
They've got dispensation to run the old engines.

Bottom line this is one of thw worst kept secrets in motor racing, if it wasn't for WRC messing about over it (and thats a political issue revolving around the issue of series promotion not tech specs) and we'd all know what was happening.

Bottom line? Not one single manufacturer has or is developing a 2.0 NA powerplant, however all of them (primarily due to emissions regulation, which is presented years in advance so manufacturers can plan) are or have developed smaller capacity FI lumps. Other than the WRC mess the only reason this hasn't been presented is because no-one wants to run a car for single year (its just too expensive).

We've been planning a 2010 entry into BTCC for three years, this isn't some accidental plan but a deliberate issue of timing. The only questions at the moment rest on the actual size of the engine (my guess is 1.6) and the methodolgy of FI and the policing thereof. For ease I'd reckon a common turbo specification, a common displacement and a common boost/inlet are most likely but there could be any combination of turbo/SC for all we can really know.

As for the RWD/FWD argument, well FI will settle that issue quite quickly if you ask me, I'd rather prep a trio of rwd chassis cars with FI than I would FWD but a lot depends on which manufacturers will support who (if anyone).
Old 2 Dec 2008, 21:29 (Ref:2345927)   #66
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And what is 'FI' in your story?
Old 2 Dec 2008, 21:50 (Ref:2345934)   #67
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
Forced Induction (aka Turbo)

And I guess Chevy getting a dispensation points at that Lada will probably be allowed an exception for 2009 as well. Good to hear (we really dont need fewer manufacturers in WTCC).

PS Nobody was claiming that FWD is better on the racetrack than RWD.
Old 2 Dec 2008, 21:56 (Ref:2345937)   #68
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Direct Fuel Injection got to be a must in a modern racing engine as well.

Both from performance and enviromental reasons.
Old 3 Dec 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2346494)   #69
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
Unfortunately , I've been censored , so as a matter of principle , I will no longer be contributing to this thread . I hope that those of you who have brought about this supression of free speech are all very proud of the parts you have played in denying a platform to an honest opinion , honestly held , and honestly expressed .
You could always start a new thread, then you wouldn't be off topic...
Old 3 Dec 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2346906)   #70
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clive Brown:
If you think you are being censored then I suggest you read the FAQ's of this site which you agreed to when you signed up. You will soon find where you have went wrong.
Old 6 Dec 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2348980)   #71
juicy sushi
Racer

juicy sushi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the risk of exposing my ignornace, why not just run current group n rules for rallying? those cars are lower budget than s2000 are they not? and they would be faster. you could have all sorts of prouduction relevant technology, in quick, exciting turbo-charged, awd cars, which bmw,VAG, ford, and others all make. and it would allow common rules between the WTCC and WRC. i'd love to see a bmw vs. wrx vs. evo vs. whatever VAG decides to run battle. it could be some good fun...
Old 7 Dec 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2349413)   #72
SGarage
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
SGarage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
at the risk of exposing my ignornace, why not just run current group n rules for rallying? those cars are lower budget than s2000 are they not? and they would be faster. you could have all sorts of prouduction relevant technology, in quick, exciting turbo-charged, awd cars, which bmw,VAG, ford, and others all make. and it would allow common rules between the WTCC and WRC. i'd love to see a bmw vs. wrx vs. evo vs. whatever VAG decides to run battle. it could be some good fun...
The group N regs is dead-end even in rally. That's why FIA is pushing S2000 as well as its "R" concept.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 08:14 (Ref:2350076)   #73
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by juicy sushi
at the risk of exposing my ignornace, why not just run current group n rules for rallying?
In rally I see only 2 N-group cars - Mitsubibishi Lancer and Subaru Impreza. Where are the rest?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 16:09 (Ref:2350341)   #74
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Group-N won't work, the cars look too normal. They need a bit more beef than that.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 15:18 (Ref:2351001)   #75
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
In Rallying, Group N is on par with Rally S2000 anyway.

Tags
wtcc