Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Oct 2014, 19:13 (Ref:3469469)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Pinto cooling conundrum

OK, I've just got my Gp1 Pinto back from rebuild after it (according to the builder) overheated. Surprising considering that the cooling system was all new, including a large core radiator.

One suggestion from said builder is that, as no thermostat was fitted, the coolant was possibly circulating too quickly. The remedy could be to fit a flow restrictor plate in the thermostat housing.

Sound feasible?
Old 28 Oct 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3469478)   #2
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had the same issue with mine (SBF) but it wasn't that it was circulating too quickly as such it was the fact that with no restriction the pump was aerating the coolant. With a restrictor plate in place of the thermostat and with no other changes the problem went away.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 28 Oct 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3469479)   #3
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMC engine;s have a blanking sleeve with part number, this would replace the thermostat.
Old 28 Oct 2014, 19:52 (Ref:3469483)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Just take the centre out of an old thermostat and use the outside, on the Kent engine always blank the bypass hole off in the water pump otherwise the water doesn't flow round the back of the block.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Oct 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3469490)   #5
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I picked this up a few years ago when i raced my Triumph Spitfire.We used to just remove the mechanical workings and leave the thermostat plate in place. If we took the whole thing out they overheated, not sure why someone told me it was to do with flow vs pressure but i cant explain why.

I currently run a Cosworth YB with the mechanics of the thermostat removed and the thermostat plate in place and it works well.

Ian
Old 29 Oct 2014, 07:14 (Ref:3469623)   #6
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sounds like a done deal then. Lucky still have the thermostat that came out originally. Thanks all for passing on your knowledge and experience!

Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:02 (Ref:3469630)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I do the same as Gordon suggests. If the water circulates too fast you can get cavitation. also check there are no odd hose routes ( unlikely I know) causing an air lock

remote things are great for that, but in an old Ford you shouldn't have more than 2 hoses and a rad.

With the best will in the world theres usually something dislodged from a block once its been run a few times, so a backward flush wouldn't hurt either.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 08:24 (Ref:3469639)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could also try a bigger water pump pulley. There used to be a steady demand for (IIRC) Marina pulleys amongst MG Midget racers when I was selling spare parts.

We always ran with a thermostat plate too.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 09:03 (Ref:3469645)   #9
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thermostat restrictir plate & larger water pump pulley cured overheating in my V12 as it stopped the coolant cavitating, so should help the cooling system work as it was originally designed to.
Old 29 Oct 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3469750)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Or take the P*** out and put a crossflow in
Old 29 Oct 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3469796)   #11
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As said by the others , you need a restrictor in if you have no stat as the circulation will bypass the back cylinders . And if revving at over 7000 then slow the pump with a larger pulley .

Another problem which we have had come up in the last few years might be worth looking at . Oil filter canisters seem to be thinner materials than they used to be , [ far East made ? ] , & expand under pressure . They can then work loose on the thread , & it is possible to come undone by itself .
We now have a little bracket on the Pinto block by the filter , & a Jubilee clip on the filter body stops it coming undone .
Old 29 Oct 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3469833)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always either lockwire or cable tie my oil filters. Never had one come loose but for such a little effort don't need the worry.
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 30 Oct 2014, 06:06 (Ref:3469893)   #13
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting thread this one . On the Ff2000 engines I now always pin the water pump pulley to the water pump shaft as we have had the aluminium pulley expand then start to slip on the pump and hey ho over heating . Yes to oil filter housing coming loose and again the jubilee clip idea does the job . Happy engine building everyone
Old 30 Oct 2014, 13:42 (Ref:3469971)   #14
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting re oil filter, a car in front of me one day had that happen at Zandvoort. Result - one trashed Midget plus quite a bit of damage to mine. All quite exciting.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3476110)   #15
356mal
Rookie

356mal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
water pump

gordon
where is the bypass hole to blank off in the water pump ?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3476117)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
its goes from the front of the block above the impeller and up to the head face, either block the hole in the pump or the block.

Another thing to consider is head gaskets . . . a lot of aftermarket ones don't have all the right water way holes in them . . . for example a precrossflow AH760 Payen has different sized holes front to back . . . a crossflow one doesn't. some have none, so it affects the water flow/route

I've also suffered overheating from a very thin bore wall in the past . . .