Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Oct 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1126752)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Engineer's conundrum

I thought I'd share an interesting article, focusing on the Brazilian track and from an F1 engineers perspective:
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=22658
Old 18 Oct 2004, 08:49 (Ref:1127104)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, very interesting...
Old 18 Oct 2004, 09:06 (Ref:1127120)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In last year's practice the renault was a full second quicker through sector two than any other car during practice, such is the quality of the chassis. But this circuit is all about compromise between optimum lap time (which can be achieved through high downforce set-up for sector two) and limiting exposure to overtaking (by taking wing off for the long pit and back straights).

Suits a car with good all-round ability - like the BAR and Ferrari.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 13:05 (Ref:1127297)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

You have a good memory Glen. From Renault's perspective, they talk a good game, but their lack of power may haunt them once again. Minimum downforce seems a must for them. Interesting section on fuel loads in that article; makes me believe Renault may once again run heavier than most. igh: I hope not as it is time to gamble, big time.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1127364)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault also have superb traction, which means they get off down the straights very well, offsetting some of their bhp defecit. Also, oftentimes, power delivery is just as important as total amount of power at maximum rpm. So I don't think we'll see all that many cars breezing past them.

Renault often qualify with a little extra fuel because they can start so quickly and instantly make back the difference. They are a canny team - more than all talk for sure! They are ahead of Williams and McLaren... takes a bit more than big talk to do that.
Old 18 Oct 2004, 15:01 (Ref:1127382)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Glen

Renault often qualify with a little extra fuel because they can start so quickly and instantly make back the difference. They are a canny team - more than all talk for sure! They are ahead of Williams and McLaren... takes a bit more than big talk to do that.
Both Williams and McLaren have underperformed this year and I agree Renault were ahead of those teams earlier in the season. It's debatable now. I think it's a toss up between the three, with McLaren trailing in reliability. All teams obviously want to finish on a high note; I look for some good racing this weekend.