Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Nov 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1771882)   #1
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another FIA series?

copied from project le mans

Beside FIA-GT, FIA-GT3 and the GT4 series still which can be discharged also older cars are to be able to come in the context of the SRO of package to honours. A GT-series for vehicles is aimed at, how they ran in the former BPR series from 1994 to 1996 as well as in the first years of the FIA-GT championship. Vehicles up to the Homologationsjahr become certified 1998. To be driven series is with at least two Events in the context of the FIA-GT.
One has feedbacks already from owners of the motor vehicle types McLaren F1 GTR, Ferrari F40 and Dodge viper. With difficulty it could become according to opinions from the SRO surrounding field with the actually strongly existing Porsche 811 GT2. To from in the international range and the decrease of the application type national many cars were only occasionally driven and in a bad condition. Nevertheless one would like to bring this revival of the GT-sport the runway.

If this project should become reality, the FIA-GT would have to offer package with well half of the meetings a nearly pure GT. (CF
Old 22 Nov 2006, 01:32 (Ref:1771939)   #2
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I could understand a single part of that post, I'd write a proper reply!

Have you passed that through a web translator? As it hasn't done a very good job.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 02:04 (Ref:1771949)   #3
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
This has already been well discussed in this thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90713
Old 22 Nov 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1772010)   #4
911 GT1
Racer

Germany
911 GT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The SRO is planning a series for older GT cars, which raced in BPR and early FIA-GT years (until 1998). That´s the verry short translation of the article :-)
Old 22 Nov 2006, 08:55 (Ref:1772059)   #5
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund
This has already been well discussed in this thread.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90713
It´s not about the new GT4, it´s about a revival of the good ol BPR days.

I will try to translate the www.project-lemans.de article which you can find here: http://www.projectlemans.de/content/view/2589/163/

Beside the FIA GT, FIA GT3 and the yet to be confirmed new GT4 series there will probably also be a series for vintage GT race cars. SRO plans to run a series of races with cars that raced in the BPR championship between 1994 and 1996 and also in the very first years of the of the FIA GT championship. Permitted will be cars until homologation year 1998. There shall be at least two events together with the FIA GT.

There has already been a positive responsive from current owners of cars like McLaren F1 GTR, Ferrari F40 and Dodge Viper. According to SRO there might be a problem with the – you might think – numerous Porsche 911 GT2. After they disappeared from the international races and in the meantime also from the national events, many of these cars are used not very often and are in a very bad condition. Nevertheless the SRO will keep trying to bring them back on tracks.

If this project will come true, there will be a more less 100 % GT race weekend at almost the half of next years FIA GT races.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1772195)   #6
Audi R8R
Racer

Audi R8R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, so, what will the current GT1 team make of a meeting where the historics are faster than the contemporary machinery.

Another great idea, as is GT4...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 14:06 (Ref:1772282)   #7
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What cars in GT4 - stock MR2's?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1772293)   #8
Lloyd87
Rookie

Italy
Naples (IT)
Lloyd87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But why porsche 911 GT2 and not 911 GT1 ?
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1772312)   #9
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one really hope this series happens. I think we'll then soon realise what we've been missing...
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:08 (Ref:1772321)   #10
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
What cars in GT4 - stock MR2's?
cars like Porsche Cayman, Aston Martin Vantage, BMW Z4, Audi TT...

the only changes to street cars would be a cage, bigger brakes and for some cars rear wings to even out the power gap between the different cars.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:34 (Ref:1772341)   #11
Dauer 962
Veteran

Dauer 962 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd87
But why porsche 911 GT2 and not 911 GT1 ?
You could race your 911 GT1 as well as your GT2. Even a GT1-98 could race. All GT cars homologated until 1998 will be permitted to start.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1772350)   #12
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
whoops duplicate post sorry!

Last edited by Graham Goodwin; 22 Nov 2006 at 15:58.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:56 (Ref:1772351)   #13
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
cars like Porsche Cayman, Aston Martin Vantage, BMW Z4, Audi TT...

the only changes to street cars would be a cage, bigger brakes and for some cars rear wings to even out the power gap between the different cars.
I'd love to know by what measure the V8 Vantage is equivalent to any of the other cars mentioned here - I'm utterly unconvinced about GT4 btw, I'm afraid it rather smacks of 'this weeks big idea'
Old 22 Nov 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1772352)   #14
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So it's official FIA/SRO HAVE lost the plot!

Do these guys have any idea about the future of FIA 'GT's'!

Surely they should focus on attracting more GT1 entrants into the main event, and continue to develop the GT3 format at national and international level.

GT4 is a joke, who the hell would watch that!

As for an 'historic' GT series, what a stupid idea, who's going to run a £1m+ F1 GTR when they can run in the main event with an Aston,, Saleen, Corvette, or in th LMS with a prototype?

If they want to go historic racing with relatively modern machines wouldn't they choose the GroupC/GTP series?

FIA GT is losing competitors from it's main event, made a massive mistake splitting from the WTCC package (if they intend to run 2hr races in 2007), and are stretching budgets and driving talent.

Last edited by JAG; 22 Nov 2006 at 16:03.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 16:44 (Ref:1772385)   #15
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauer 962
You could race your 911 GT1 as well as your GT2. Even a GT1-98 could race. All GT cars homologated until 1998 will be permitted to start.
by that rules you could race any of the following GT1 and GT2

GT1

toyota TS020 GT1
mercedes CLK GTR
nissan R390 GT1
porsche 911 GT1
porsche 911 GT1 EVO
sintura S99 judd
lister storm GTL
mclaren F1 GTR shorttail
mclaren F1 GTR longtail
panoz GTR1
lotus elise GT1
ferrari F40 LM
jaguar XJ220 LM

GT2

porsche 911 GT2
dodge viper GTSR
venturi LM600 GT
marcos LM500 GT

the field of cars in my view is much more appealing than that of the FIA GT with its saleen S7R's, maserati MC12 GT's and aston martin DBR9 these cars are much more fun to watch the old mercedes CLK GTR with the big 7.0 V12 sounded un V12 like they sounded like mondeo super tourers with V6 engines

i hope the SRO and FIA will egt this championship off the ground and to some good tracks like silverstone, donington, spa, monza, imola and brno

AND SRO AND FIA NO NOISE RESTRICTORS PLEASE

I DONT LIKE MY BEER WATERED DOWN IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN
Old 22 Nov 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1772393)   #16
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
I'd love to know by what measure the V8 Vantage is equivalent to any of the other cars mentioned here - I'm utterly unconvinced about GT4 btw, I'm afraid it rather smacks of 'this weeks big idea'
i agree GT4 seems like a pile of **** much like GT3, the cars are going backwards in terms of performance i know in the next 5 years GT1 cars will be abolished and replaced by the current GT2 cars GT2 will be replaced by GT3 and it will then boil down to same old same old eventually with GT3 as GT1 and GT4 as GT2

i think its a unimaginative way of getting entries cost's are high because the FIA GT despite poor coverage is a high ranking international championship and throwing in BMW Z4 3.0 coupe's, audi TT's and porsche cayman's with 300bhp and a roll cage is not going to do the championship any favours infact it would drag the championship down in my opinion since GT4 cars would be more suited to club racing

buy a Z4 coupe, gut it, put rollcage in, new exhaust system and air filters to bring power up to 300bhp, wack on meaningless bodykit with no extra downforce, apply stickers, there ya go seems like guide for rich kid ricers on how to make a "GT" car
Old 22 Nov 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1772430)   #17
geeteeone
Racer

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes, UK
geeteeone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
Absolutely agree. If I wanted to see those kind of cars, I'd just go and watch a track day, or failing that, sit in the Watford Gap services and wait for them to come past...

As for the 'vintage GT1/GT2' series, I'm all for it - if car owners can find the money to race Group C cars around Europe, I'm sure they can manage to run old style GT1 cars. In fact, a McLaren F1 GTR is probably a lot more economical to run than a modern day GT1. I believe Jean-Luc Maury-Laribiere managed to get almost through an entire BPR season without an engine rebuild on his McLaren, only to have a 50p sensor fail at the final round.

Last edited by geeteeone; 22 Nov 2006 at 17:45.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 19:01 (Ref:1772488)   #18
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Increasing the number of classes does not mean the number of teams OR drivers will increase - why run at the back of GT2 with an outdated 911 when you can pick up an Aston GT3 or GT1 McLaren & win that championship?

You would lose the bottom numbers from the top classes & the top numbers from the bottom classes, instead of 2 races with 30 cars each you end up with 3 races with 20 cars each.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1772527)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
by that rules you could race any of the following GT1 and GT2

GT1

toyota TS020 GT1
mercedes CLK GTR
nissan R390 GT1
porsche 911 GT1
porsche 911 GT1 EVO
sintura S99 judd
lister storm GTL
mclaren F1 GTR shorttail
mclaren F1 GTR longtail
panoz GTR1
lotus elise GT1
ferrari F40 LM
jaguar XJ220 LM

GT2

porsche 911 GT2
dodge viper GTSR
venturi LM600 GT
marcos LM500 GT

the field of cars in my view is much more appealing than that of the FIA GT with its saleen S7R's, maserati MC12 GT's and aston martin DBR9 these cars are much more fun to watch the old mercedes CLK GTR with the big 7.0 V12 sounded un V12 like they sounded like mondeo super tourers with V6 engines

i hope the SRO and FIA will egt this championship off the ground and to some good tracks like silverstone, donington, spa, monza, imola and brno

AND SRO AND FIA NO NOISE RESTRICTORS PLEASE

I DONT LIKE MY BEER WATERED DOWN IF YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN
In reality you'll have a field full of 911's, Venturies and the odd F40 and XJ220.
Old 22 Nov 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1772529)   #20
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
In reality you'll have a field full of 911's, Venturies and the odd F40 and XJ220.
aye but ive never seen a XJ220 LM or F40 racing and i would love that i also havent seen the venturi racing i made the list of possible cars than can race but i doubt we will see them i know we wont see any 911 GT1's, CLK GTR's, TSO20 toyota's, R390's and mclaren F1 GTR longtails i think we could see maybe 1 shorttail mclaren and maybe a porsche 911 GT1 in the old 993 shape
Old 22 Nov 2006, 20:47 (Ref:1772534)   #21
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I like the sound of the quasi-historic BPR/FIA GTs racing, but GT4 doesn't excite me very much. I think it'd be better to prep those cars for GT3 regs and perhaps temporarily restrict them more on engine power, revs, transmission and brakes to lower maintenance for even more privateer-oriented racing in a seperate series, but be able to quickly convert them into full-blown GT3s.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 02:00 (Ref:1772728)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
aye but ive never seen a XJ220 LM or F40 racing and i would love that i also havent seen the venturi racing i made the list of possible cars than can race but i doubt we will see them i know we wont see any 911 GT1's, CLK GTR's, TSO20 toyota's, R390's and mclaren F1 GTR longtails i think we could see maybe 1 shorttail mclaren and maybe a porsche 911 GT1 in the old 993 shape
The XJ220C's are very slow, slower than a 911 GT2.

Their qualifying time at Le Mans was around the 4 minute mark!

Shame they weren't developed through the years.

BTW, you can see XJ220's and F40's in the Group B/Invitation class at GroupC/GTP races.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 04:25 (Ref:1772772)   #23
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems Ratel is on a mission to get as many cars into his series as he can.

If it has 4 wheels, race it in FIA GT. There will be a class for you.
Old 23 Nov 2006, 10:17 (Ref:1772971)   #24
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do like the idea a lot, but perhaps it's a little too soon...?

Some of these cars are still eligable to compete in the main event (think Vipers and Listers), yet they'd also be in the historic event too? That just sounds odd to me.

And it's probably true, despite lots of cars being eligable, we'd get a watered down field of 993's, Vipers and the occasional Venturi. Would be like FIA GT '99 all over again...

The thought of potentially seeing such cars like the Sinturas and Lister GTL's one more time is mouth-watering though!
Old 25 Nov 2006, 16:00 (Ref:1774781)   #25
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
I do like the idea a lot, but perhaps it's a little too soon...?

Some of these cars are still eligable to compete in the main event (think Vipers and Listers), yet they'd also be in the historic event too? That just sounds odd to me.

And it's probably true, despite lots of cars being eligable, we'd get a watered down field of 993's, Vipers and the occasional Venturi. Would be like FIA GT '99 all over again...

The thought of potentially seeing such cars like the Sinturas and Lister GTL's one more time is mouth-watering though!
if we get very lucky we may even get a mclaren F1 or the customer R390 that raced at lemans in 1998, and if we got very very lucky maybe a mercedes CLK GTR or the toyota TS020

but still i dont want noise restrictors i would hate to hear these cars with restrictors they end up still sounding good but not half as good as a non noise restricted car especially the turbo cars.

although the jaguar XJ220C's are very slow jag i think the looks of that car would more than make up for it and maybe the sound of the turbo metro 6R4 lump.

obviously being a lemans virgin still and missed out on the 1998 and 1999 races i would give a lot to see the toyota TS020 GT1 and mercedes CLK-GTR racing but it probably wont happen as i believe toyota still have the TS020 GT1's in their posession still and one is in the sarthe museum and mercedes like toyota have still got the cars in their posession and also wouldnt want them to be raced again

as for the nissan R390 well that would be the same but i think we have a relatively good chance of seeing a mclaren F1 GT racing and maybe the lister storm GTL but more than likely it will be porsche 911 GT2's and dodge viper's maybe a venturi LM600 or 2 and probably the jaguar XJ220C or a F40LM