Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Dec 2006, 09:38 (Ref:1781453)   #1
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Le-mans TV channel in the UK?

What channel covers Le-mans in the UK, is it Eurosport or men and motors on Sky?.......I dont have Sky, but am considering buying a top-up-tv box which has "British Eurosport"......will this do the trick?........for £10 per month its a bit of a bargain me thinks
Old 4 Dec 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1781460)   #2
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
What channel covers Le-mans in the UK, is it Eurosport or men and motors on Sky?.......I dont have Sky, but am considering buying a top-up-tv box which has "British Eurosport"......will this do the trick?........for £10 per month its a bit of a bargain me thinks
Motors TV (nothing to do with Men and Motors) cover all of the Le Mans associated series. You can get it on Sky (not sure if it's available on all subscriptions) and ntl. I have ntl and need to upgrade from the basic to the 'Family Pack' in order to get it.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 10:05 (Ref:1781494)   #3
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MotorsTV is within Sky's "Documentaries" package (rather than Sport). It used to be one of the free channels but Motors was having difficulties in getting rights to racing series coverage as they couldn't limit the viewers to just within a single country.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1781522)   #4
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
MotorsTV is within Sky's "Documentaries" package (rather than Sport). It used to be one of the free channels but Motors was having difficulties in getting rights to racing series coverage as they couldn't limit the viewers to just within a single country.
Once again an annoyance with Sky's somewhat lumbering taxonomy... Why on earth Motors' periodic broadcast of a "steam train journey" or a Dassault puff piece qualifies them as a documentary heaven alone knows.

I'm not complaining particularly - it does mean I don't have to subsidise Wayne Rooney's wages by paying for football, but I can see how a new user could be profoundly confused by such things.
Old 4 Dec 2006, 11:18 (Ref:1781564)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't know, but isn't the Sport package just for Sky Sports?
Old 4 Dec 2006, 16:18 (Ref:1781750)   #6
davemk7
Racer

davemk7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's in news and events now. it'll cost you at least 15 pounds a month, more if you have other packages. It's must have though, imho
Old 4 Dec 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1781829)   #7
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this new BTVision service would provide an alternative?

http://www.btvision.bt.com/

It seems mostly pay-per-view without a subscription charge, apart from the fact that you have to sign upto BT Broadband.

The Sport package doesn't come online until 2007, so I'll be keeping one eye on this to see if MotorsTV stuff etc appears as an option.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1782504)   #8
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motors TV is in the sports section of my package.

Where is Bravo 2 (did the FIA series this year) for others, it comes under All chanels and Entertainment for me.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1782509)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motors TV came under docs for me when we ordered it a couple of weeks ago, we don't have Sky Sports.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:01 (Ref:1782512)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was that a Sky package?

What else did you get?
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1782526)   #11
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Herein lies the elemental confusion about the way Sky organises its channels... You buy on the basis of one definition, and then they array them differently in their electronic programming guide.

Motors, legitimately, sits under Sport in the EPG, along with a combination of free channels (e.g. Eurosport) and subscription offerings (Setanta, SkySports etc). However, if you want to buy access to Motors, it comes under documentaries, and not sport, which, as others have said, gets you SkySports and that's about it.

When getting access to Motors is quite such an obtuse process you start to understand why viewership isn't as high as it might be...

In terms of where Player of FIA GT and missing the start of Le Mans went, this is now "Men and Motors 2" - presumably capitalising on the M&M brand...
Old 5 Dec 2006, 13:22 (Ref:1782535)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes we got four mixes – culture, documentaries, news and another I think – can’t remember now – don’t have sports but still get Motors, Eurosport and Bravo (which is good because, as earlier mention, they show the FIA GTs).
Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:29 (Ref:1782593)   #13
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Another peculiarity of Sky's Mixes/Packages is that a large number of channels that are free-to-air on Cable/Freeview/and indeed Sky's own FreeSat are bundled into the Entertainment package, and if you are a cheapskate (like my father) and put 2 packages like News and Docs you actually get very few channels, luckily MotorsTV fits into what he does get.
Old 5 Dec 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1782606)   #14
Suze
Veteran

England
I know...is weird!
Old 5 Dec 2006, 19:53 (Ref:1782779)   #15
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem I have is that I have Telewest and they don't carry Motors. However Telewest is now owned by NTL, but I have asked the question of Telewest when they will be adding Motors to there line up and there answer was er don't know !!!
Old 6 Dec 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1783480)   #16
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think the dutch canal digitaal is the cheapest way to get motors on sat tv, but its 19,2 and not 28,2°E
Old 8 Dec 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1784946)   #17
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you don't/can't get Sky, In '06 one of the Danish channels - I forget which, sorry, but I can look it up! - streamed the entire Le Mans 24 Hours over the internet at very good quality (about a one-megabit stream; not as good as 'real' telly but nothing to complain about!). That plus Hindy and the boys at Radio Le Mans meant I didn't miss any of the race...

(I assume this is largely contingent upon Tom K. continuing to be The Man).
Old 10 Dec 2006, 02:16 (Ref:1786191)   #18
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
If you don't/can't get Sky, In '06 one of the Danish channels - I forget which, sorry, but I can look it up! - streamed the entire Le Mans 24 Hours over the internet at very good quality (about a one-megabit stream; not as good as 'real' telly but nothing to complain about!). That plus Hindy and the boys at Radio Le Mans meant I didn't miss any of the race...
Indeed - even when there is no TV coverage, they still provided full commentary of every ALMS race and qualifying session, and most practice sessions, and every minute of qualifying and the race at Le Mans. They also did the full 24 hours of Silverstone.

Quote:
(I assume this is largely contingent upon Tom K. continuing to be The Man).
I think that's a safe assumption to make.