Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 27 Sep 2022, 12:15 (Ref:4127658)   #126
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The lack of exposure of the British GT package means those who rely on real sponsorship (as opposed to wealthy parents) won't see Juniors as an attractive option any more.
Presumably the cost of entry will become a lot cheaper as part of the British GT package rather than TOCA so that may offset that?

Are there are any juniors who rely on "real" sponsorship rather than family connections?
Old 27 Sep 2022, 13:35 (Ref:4127663)   #127
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Agreed - I though that drivers were not meant to be afraid of telling us how they really feel? You can't tell me that he genuinely is positive about the BTCC?
Exactly. Apart from any stresses of securing funding these drivers have one of the best jobs in the world. Ingram has good reason to be cheerful and optimistic. When he's had bad luck he's good at making a joke out of it as well.

It doesn't come across as "kid's TV" to me (though I get how it could and now we'll all be thinking about it next time he's interviewed ) - I find the optimism refreshing and even a little inspiring.

He showed some self-awareness in an interview on Sunday referencing his "glass half full" attitude. Maybe he's learnt to craft a character to play, a bit like JP's supposed pantomime villain persona (I can't say I really noticed it but then I grew up as a JP fan).

Anyway, bring on Brands!

Last edited by hen henths; 27 Sep 2022 at 13:45.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 13:56 (Ref:4127668)   #128
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
It doesn't come across as "kid's TV" to me (though I get how it could and now we'll all be thinking about it next time he's interviewed ) - I find the optimism refreshing and even a little inspiring.
Wait until Ting-A-Ling-A-Loo gets played on the Brands Podium at the end of the season. Kids TV it might not be, but it is harmless immaturity that raises a smile.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4127670)   #129
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Wait until Ting-A-Ling-A-Loo gets played on the Brands Podium at the end of the season. Kids TV it might not be, but it is harmless immaturity that raises a smile.
you imagine him doing something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFykQIrPCk
Old 27 Sep 2022, 14:15 (Ref:4127671)   #130
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
you imagine him doing something like this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFFykQIrPCk
I was more thinking that he will be sticking his finger in his ear.
In fact, he's already promised that he will if he gets the right results.

What's the reference to that video?
Old 27 Sep 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4127674)   #131
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
He showed some self-awareness in an interview on Sunday referencing his "glass half full" attitude. Maybe he's learnt to craft a character to play, a bit like JP's supposed pantomime villain persona (I can't say I really noticed it but then I grew up as a JP fan).
Tingram was in Platos KX Academy, so he almost certainly learnt a lot of promotional tricks there. Plato has never made any bones about it being important for a driver to stand out from the crowd.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 15:05 (Ref:4127676)   #132
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Presumably the cost of entry will become a lot cheaper as part of the British GT package rather than TOCA so that may offset that?
It's unlikely. I don't believe that entry fees are significantly different. For example, F4 entry fees are (on a per round basis) not much higher than GB3 entry fees. Also, F4 includes Friday testing. Other entrants pay several hundred pounds less to race on the GT package rather than TOCA. However, given the costs of competing (and the number of rounds) such differences don't amount to a huge proportion of drivers' budgets.
Old 27 Sep 2022, 23:57 (Ref:4127704)   #133
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post

Are there are any juniors who rely on "real" sponsorship rather than family connections?
I think the cost will be perhaps £300 lower per weekend. But a set of tyres is £900, and you'll get through at least two of them.

When you're spending well over £120,000 of someone else's money, and extra £300 a week is nothing.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 09:23 (Ref:4128863)   #134
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I am not up to speed on exactly what testing restrictions are in place for BTCC teams, however if I were WSR I would be doing as much testing as possible at Silverstone National circuit as it seems the car never goes well there.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 09:47 (Ref:4128866)   #135
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
however if I were WSR I would be doing as much testing as possible at Silverstone National circuit as it seems the car never goes well there.
Jake Hill disagrees!
Old 6 Oct 2022, 11:19 (Ref:4128877)   #136
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Jake Hill disagrees!
Hah, I knew someone would bring up the Jake Hill element!

It does raise the question though, why could Jake drag a laptime out of the car, but Turks and Jelly couldn't? I guess there isn't any setup data sharing taking place? I don't even know if that would be of a benefit anyway if the drivers have different driving styles etc.
Old 6 Oct 2022, 13:11 (Ref:4128893)   #137
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think that some of the difference between Hill and Turkington is all about mindset. Turkington is going for points and trying to keep out of trouble, whilst Hill, much like Sutton in earlier years, is currently going for hell or bust. Jelley has neither the speed of Hill or the finesse of Turkington.
Old 7 Oct 2022, 07:06 (Ref:4128973)   #138
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Turkington is probably wise in his old year, especially with 4 titles behind him, whilst Hill is still young and will be wanting his first title
Old 7 Oct 2022, 14:32 (Ref:4129017)   #139
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe Turkington will have to be rear gunner for Hill ? cos near 30 points gap on Sutton he has no chance
Old 8 Oct 2022, 18:19 (Ref:4129265)   #140
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only when it's mathematically impossible for Turks to win. Why would they sacrifice Colin when anything could happen to Jake?