Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 21 Aug 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1688087)   #1
Race4Fun
Rookie

United Kingdom
Derby
Race4Fun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
19/20 August - All Action Anglesey!

I had a mixed "first and last" weekend at Anglesey.

Firstly, a big thanks to all the officials for getting the meeting to happen despite the weathers best(worst?) efforts.

As if starting from the back (as I had never competed in the LMA championship before) was not enough, the midfield misunderstood the start procedure and were still warming their tyres up on the Top Straight when the race started! I developed a misfire for a further lap but then; it was all go and, for the remaining 10 minutes I had a great wet race tearing through the field with lots of fun (and fair) dices along the way.

Oh, and it will all be on Motors TV and Channel 5 in a couple of weeks.

Sunday, was more than a little hectic on the first lap and I managed to get "past the point of no return" coming out of Radar only to hurtle back on to the circuit and get collected by an unfortunate Dan Davies.

I agree with all comments posted about what a friendly and fun circuit Anglesey is and I shall be back as soon as you open up again, no doubt.

Right, I'm off to find some new body panels...

Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:54 (Ref:1688237)   #2
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which number are you because I probably spoke to you at some point over the weekend; I was the one in Assembly Area who was waving the cars out to the grid or onto their rolling start.

Last edited by KayBee; 21 Aug 2006 at 19:56.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:58 (Ref:1688718)   #3
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race4Fun
Sunday, was more than a little hectic on the first lap and I managed to get "past the point of no return" coming out of Radar only to hurtle back on to the circuit and get collected by an unfortunate Dan Davies.
Richard Hill was also involved in that little incident! He went off on the inside of the track, down the slope & ended up far enough from the edge of the track to be safe. As he was out of sight from Radar because of the big mound of earth, we kept an eye on him from Top Straight to make sure that he got out of the car & to a safe place, which he did. However, as he was climbing up onto the big mound of earth we noticed a few wisps of smoke from under the bonnet, steadily getting worse - what really confirmed that it was on fire was the rapidly-growing black patch which appeared on the bonnet! As we had no marshals or extinguishers on that side of the track I had no option but to call for a red flag. Fortunately we got to it before too much damage was done.

Turns out he'd had a fire on Saturday as well........
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:40 (Ref:1688750)   #4
Race4Fun
Rookie

United Kingdom
Derby
Race4Fun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayBee
Which number are you because I probably spoke to you at some point over the weekend; I was the one in Assembly Area who was waving the cars out to the grid or onto their rolling start.

No. 88. Black Audi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Richard Hill was also involved in that little incident! He went off on the inside of the track, down the slope & ended up far enough from the edge of the track to be safe. As he was out of sight from Radar because of the big mound of earth, we kept an eye on him from Top Straight to make sure that he got out of the car & to a safe place, which he did. However, as he was climbing up onto the big mound of earth we noticed a few wisps of smoke from under the bonnet, steadily getting worse - what really confirmed that it was on fire was the rapidly-growing black patch which appeared on the bonnet! As we had no marshals or extinguishers on that side of the track I had no option but to call for a red flag. Fortunately we got to it before too much damage was done.

Turns out he'd had a fire on Saturday as well........

My mistake, then, it was Richard Hill not Dan Davies. Anyway I spoke to him and it appears the two fires were connected. Saturday's was due to one of the (plastic) injector pipes failing and spraying fuel on the exhaust.

He managed to "borrow" some more pipes off another Golf which had to go home early due to problems; but it appears that the rocker cover gasket had melted in Saturday's fire and the resultant oil leak found its way onto the exhaust lagging and - bingo!

He assures me he will be at Brands!