Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 2 Aug 2014, 20:31 (Ref:3441063)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Centennial Olympic Park Circuit

I got a request back in July to do a circuit near or around Centennial Olympic Park and the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta. I had already considered this venue to be perfect for designing a street circuit but never got around to it until someone gave me the push to pursue it.

So without further ado, I created the Centennial Olympic Park Circuit. 2.01 miles (3.23 km.), west of Atlanta CBD, runs clockwise. Cyan layout is the circuit configuration, thin red layout is pit line, thick red stripe is start/finish. Built for IndyCar, Pirelli World Challenge, and IMSA racing.

Centennial Olympic Park Circuit by beetlejuice_21, on Flickr

Centennial Olympic Park Circuit 2 by beetlejuice_21, on Flickr

How do you like it?
Old 3 Aug 2014, 00:48 (Ref:3441097)   #2
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like it. The Centenial Park straight would
be super fast heading toward the Dome.
The "Aquarium Kink" going on to Baker St.
would particularly be nasty good.
Old 12 Aug 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3443706)   #3
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
CJDJ500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally think it would be a good circuit, but I have spotted a couple of potential problems with it though. Firstly, at Baker Street, I've noticed that how you've made the track run very close to itself can cause quite a bit of congestion, which means the circuit at this point would be very narrow, and therefore potentially lethal for drivers. Plus, the paddock area would be quite cramped due to the location of the pit lane. I suppose it would be in that fielded area just to the east of the Georgia Aquarium, but that isn't spacious as such. I don't mean to criticise in any way, I'm only expressing my concerns
Old 12 Aug 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3443760)   #4
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDJ500 View Post
I personally think it would be a good circuit, but I have spotted a couple of potential problems with it though. Firstly, at Baker Street, I've noticed that how you've made the track run very close to itself can cause quite a bit of congestion, which means the circuit at this point would be very narrow, and therefore potentially lethal for drivers. Plus, the paddock area would be quite cramped due to the location of the pit lane. I suppose it would be in that fielded area just to the east of the Georgia Aquarium, but that isn't spacious as such. I don't mean to criticise in any way, I'm only expressing my concerns
Thanks for the feedback, CJDJ500.

To address your first concern, that could force a redesign. I was modeling it after two corners that came quite close to each other on the Marina Bay Street Circuit in Singapore, but it turns out that the latter has quite a bigger space to work with. Secondly, the paddock area would probably be relocated to the large parking lot to the top left-hand corner of your screen when viewing the top view screenshot. Plenty of space and only a short way to bring down all the necessary equipment to the pit lane!

Will be tackling the redesign soon.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 14:08 (Ref:3444241)   #5
CJDJ500
Rookie

United Kingdom
CJDJ500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't worry, Beetle, I've created a solution to both issues with my own re-design. This version is 3.0mi long, runs clockwise and has 19 corners. Due to the length and numbers it may be a little bit too long for the IndyCar Series, but it would definitely be more suitable for things like the ALMS, for example, or other touring car events. A good overtaking area would be the long backstraightaway leading to T19, where drivers have a good chance to dive down the inside of their rivals. Turns 3 and 4 will also be a challenge due to the hairpin at turn 4 following very soon after the high-speed, left-hand kink of turn 3, which follows the identical turn 2. Certainly a lot of challenges to face for the drivers, which is what makes motor racing an awesome form of pure entertainment!
Attached Thumbnails
Centennial Olympic Park Street Circuit.png   Centennial Olympic Park Street Circuit Elevation.png  

Last edited by CJDJ500; 14 Aug 2014 at 14:36.
Old 14 Aug 2014, 18:21 (Ref:3444295)   #6
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Not bad! I'm in the process of working on a redesign and will post it here soon!