Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Nov 2002, 18:12 (Ref:421606)   #26
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He could have parked it anywhere. Fontana has a lot of space now with the asphalt infields.

Plus, it was not a matter of scoring points, because there were only 10 cars left by then!
Old 4 Nov 2002, 19:08 (Ref:421641)   #27
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
unless he was down the pitlane its doubtful they'd have stayed green
Old 4 Nov 2002, 21:40 (Ref:421730)   #28
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrmmm.... from what I saw, his car was fairly well alight- how many people around here have gone for a drive in a burning car? If it's not bad, the best bet is to pull up at a fire marshalls post, otherwise, if you are getting hot, you should get the heck out of there...

Anyone want to volunteer to drive a burning car??
Old 4 Nov 2002, 22:10 (Ref:421749)   #29
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The main question is: Did it just burst, or Dario ran it until it blew, having done a lap or so with a damaged engine?
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:09 (Ref:421798)   #30
tcf203
Rookie

tcf203 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do I think that Mr. Judd did that on purpose? Sure he did. Team-Tool Green is ****. Mikey is an idiot, and I think he knew he got what he deserved after the race with CART restarting the race instead of running out the caution. He knows CART is the true series, and the Invisibles is just where Honda is, and Honda gives Mikey lots of money. A few months ago when it was still some sort of speculation where Team-Tool would go, Mikey kept saying he would be where his "sponsors" are. Every time he said "sponsors", you can substitute "Honda" in its place. Team-Tool got what they deserved sunday, and I hope Dario and Tony enjoy watching F1 and CART highlights while in Richmond, Virginia.
Old 4 Nov 2002, 23:43 (Ref:421822)   #31
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Dario burned his car on purpose. It's the only time I realise how fast they are going on those roundy rounders -- when I see how long it takes them to slow down and get out of a burning car!

But I do think he stayed out there as long as he could, for whatever reason. Maybe he just hoped it'd heal. Or he prayed it would. Drivers do that sometimes.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 01:14 (Ref:421872)   #32
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly... you don't get points (and money) for sitting in the pits. If the drivers didnt roll the dice, I doubt anyone would watch motorsport...
Old 5 Nov 2002, 01:30 (Ref:421876)   #33
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or drive in it. Except certain Ferrari drivers.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 02:05 (Ref:421895)   #34
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since Dario wants to turn left then he should have turned hard left and got the car off the track. If he had been out their running hard and tripped up on someone else crusing around at the back, jesus, we would have heard all about it. You were out of the race, you weren't going to make race distance, the speed differentation was dangerous, get off the track. Did he do it to help Mikey, probably not, but he shouldn't have been out their to park it on the track anyway.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 02:30 (Ref:421907)   #35
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With 7 laps to go and an engine that would barely pull him at 120mph, it was very obvious to him that he couldn't make it the distance. Dario has become a real piece of work....
Old 5 Nov 2002, 02:46 (Ref:421913)   #36
tcf203
Rookie

tcf203 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, he did not blow it on purpose. He did stay out there long as he could on purpose. Blown engines don't suddenly heal, he did that knowing Mike was leading and him stalling on the track would cause a caution.
Old 5 Nov 2002, 04:20 (Ref:421921)   #37
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
again....as has happened in the past, he might have just been trying to make it to the finish. There was only a handful of laps to go, the engine had to last maybe 3 more minutes
Old 5 Nov 2002, 16:16 (Ref:422237)   #38
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of the things I liked about this race (such as I've seen) is that the drivers could stretch it out. Part of it was that there was no fuel-conservation mode (mandatory pit stops and no limit on fuel meant full-rich high-rev-shift driving). But the other was the Handford device's redesign.

Quote:
"You could actually drive away if you had a good car and I liked the package we had a little better than last year," said the '96 CART champion. "I thought it's definitely a much better solution than what was in the past."

-Vasser, on espn.go.com
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 6 Nov 2002, 19:42 (Ref:423193)   #39
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
again....as has happened in the past, he might have just been trying to make it to the finish. There was only a handful of laps to go, the engine had to last maybe 3 more minutes
His engine let go completely with 5 laps to go. That is 10 miles. Hardly 3 minutes at slow speed.
Old 6 Nov 2002, 21:40 (Ref:423294)   #40
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
And again, with 5 laps to go, it's highly unlikely that he wouldn't have ended where he did: 10th, first of the retirements.
Old 7 Nov 2002, 03:06 (Ref:423468)   #41
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He wouldn't have had to do the 5 laps though, the race is flagged when the leaders are finished
Old 7 Nov 2002, 05:51 (Ref:423513)   #42
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all this speculation of Dario's intentions why didn't his team do like they do in endurance races park it in the pits pretend to work on the car, roll it back out onto the track for the final lap after the leaders pass (so he doesn't get in the way of the battle for the lead), be classified as running and score points, or am I making this too simple.