Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 24 Apr 2013, 22:39 (Ref:3239066)   #51
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The Sketch-up gods are really shining.

Completed in one day - about 6 hours work.

Running Anti-clockwise or counter-clockwise for those inclined that way.

GP Circuit = 6.05km 3.78 miles
Short Circuit = 3.50km 2.19 miles

A multi event venue, the GP Loop incorporates a full FIA/NHRA 1/4 mile Drag strip.
The front row (lowest) seats of the Drag strip grandstand can view both the Drag strip and the racing circuit clearly.

The Drag Strip and Short circuit can be used simultaneously - hearing protection is a must on these days.

Not included are spectator and road access bridges to the Race Paddock and also the GP loop for the Drag paddock and spectators.

Hope you all like.
You have too much time on your hands.

Great work as usual. Reminds me a bit of Twin Ring Motegi.
Old 25 Apr 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3239162)   #52
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=ScotsBrutesFan;3238417]You asked about putting ovals around 2 deisgns this month.

The first dated April 2nd, would work with a Pocono shaped oval ... 3.52km or 2.2 miles
Drawn in 2D only with oval massively wide but to scale giving correct sizes.

Attachment 39783 Attachment 39784
[quote]

Thank you for turning this into an oval infield circuit. I'd say it's the best roval circuit I have ever seen, because it's been a circuit with great flow in the first place. Flow is usually one of the main issues with roval infield circuits. Not this one. I feel kind of lucky to have been an instigator of sorts for the "perimeter circuit" because this track would easily win you a "Roval of the Year" award if there was such a one on MyTracks.

Looking at how this one developed, I can only conclude that the design process for a great roval must start with coming up with a great road course first, like you did, and in the 2nd step, the oval is built around that. Here's hoping the real-life track designers will learn from this theoretical study as well.

The main difference of your track to Pocono is probably that Turn 2 is not 90 degrees but bigger. Does it offer lanes for 2-wide racing? I hope so, because that would make it a unique oval even.

Quote:
This second one dated April 22nd would probably need a Rockingham(UK) style oval which isn't really an oval at all, as it has 4 separate banked corners linked by 4 straights
I guess that idea was only inspired by this first circuit above. I don't know if a Rockingham(UK) shaped superspeedway would be any good. What do you think?
Old 28 Apr 2013, 23:47 (Ref:3240373)   #53
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would you believe this is a 5th design in the month of April. I must be a fool

The Original 2.44 mile (3.914km) circuit still visible though no longer raced on was made up from the perimeter road and taxiway of a former WW2 airfield.
The Airfield hosting single engine fighters, mostly Spitfires and Hurricanes was made up of 3 Grass runways, running approximately from the insides of T1 to T8, from the inside of the left hander that forms the second part of the original esses also to T8, and from the inside of the final corner T10 into the approach to the T6 Hairpin.

When the circuit was upgraded, and lengthened one of the new corners was placed to respect the old control tower. T2 is known as Tower Bend.

The circuit which runs anti-clockwise is now 2.74 miles (4.392km) and is FIA Grade 2 licensed, so everything up to F1 can use the circuit.

The history is of course fictitious but could be true of many WW2 airfields had things been different. You only need to look at Silverstone, Snetterton and Croft which were bomber bases, and Thruxton which was a fighter station
Attached Thumbnails
Apr5 Dims.jpg   Apr5 Top View.jpg   Apr5 SF.jpg  

Apr5 T2.jpg   Apr5 hairpin.jpg   Apr5 T8.jpg  

Old 30 Apr 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3240922)   #54
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Would you believe this is a 5th design in the month of April. I must be a fool

The Original 2.44 mile (3.914km) circuit still visible though no longer raced on was made up from the perimeter road and taxiway of a former WW2 airfield.
The Airfield hosting single engine fighters, mostly Spitfires and Hurricanes was made up of 3 Grass runways, running approximately from the insides of T1 to T8, from the inside of the left hander that forms the second part of the original esses also to T8, and from the inside of the final corner T10 into the approach to the T6 Hairpin.

When the circuit was upgraded, and lengthened one of the new corners was placed to respect the old control tower. T2 is known as Tower Bend.

The circuit which runs anti-clockwise is now 2.74 miles (4.392km) and is FIA Grade 2 licensed, so everything up to F1 can use the circuit.
The blot shape of this reminds me somewhat of the short loop of Watkins Glen, but that one is run in clockwise direction.
Your track is great but I wish there were some elevation changes.
Old 19 May 2013, 23:12 (Ref:3250160)   #55
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This one has taken a bit of time to get ready.

There really should be another bridge or tunnel access, as well as grandstands.

I hadn't intended the lower part of the circuit to resemble a (pre upgrades) Snetterton but it turned out looking rather similar.

Nominally it runs Clockwise 8R to 6L. For those that only count 13 corners, both elements of the final chicane are counted.
Attached Thumbnails
May 1 Dims.jpg   May 1 Top.jpg   May 1 T1T2.jpg  

May 1 345.jpg   May 1 Bridge78.jpg   May 1 Final corners.jpg  

Old 28 May 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3254678)   #56
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
A clockwise circuit with an external pit this time

Originally 3.19 miles (5.108km) a short cut that turned out to be unpopular amongst racers was added reducing the circuit to 2.68 miles (4.290km).

As a result the short cut is rarely used at race meetings.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2 Top.jpg   May 2 Dims.jpg  
Old 28 May 2013, 20:30 (Ref:3254693)   #57
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
A clockwise circuit with an external pit this time

Originally 3.19 miles (5.108km) a short cut that turned out to be unpopular amongst racers was added reducing the circuit to 2.68 miles (4.290km).

As a result the short cut is rarely used at race meetings.
Why was the short cut unpopular?
Old 28 May 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3254747)   #58
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The long run down to the hairpin was ideal for overtaking, but due to it being positively cambered it still gave cars a chance to hang around the outside which placed them on the inside through the open right before the 120/130 degree hairpin type corner at the top of the circuit.
So 2 ways to over take, inside at the hairpin and try and get better driver around the next corner to be in front at the second hairpin or dummy up the inside, before dodging back around the outside to be on the higher part of the camber on exit and squeeze up the inside.

The left hander onto the Short cut, had two issues, firstly it wasn't far enough along the straight to allow overtaking, but by the same token the second issue was that the corner was tight enough that you had to brake to get through it, which turned the short cut into a link section to a now benign 90ish right.

Essentially it removed on of the character sequences from the circuit.
Old 29 Jun 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3271647)   #59
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Just in time a June circuit

Work has been crazy so it's taken me a just about the ful month to get hthis to this stage.

Yes I haven't added Pit buildings, Grandstands or spectator access, but I have included a paddock access road.
I was going to say that the circuit runs essentially anti/counter clockwise, but infact the way I've numbered the corners in my head it's an equal number of lefts and rights. 7 each.

The circuit is 6.7kms or 4.2 miles long.

The Tunnel and cutting through the hill were originally used by a railway line, which the circuit follows exactly resulting in the very quick left hander between the tunnel and the cutting.

As always let me know what you think good or bad ...I can take it
Attached Thumbnails
June 1 Top View.jpg   June 1 Wide angle.jpg   June 1 First Corners.jpg  

June 1 The Cutting.jpg   June 1 Final Corners.jpg  
Old 3 Jul 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3273568)   #60
Yannick
Veteran

It looks like a new take on the concept presented as the circuit in posting #55.

This new one has got the upper hand over the older version by far. It's actually quite an exciting track.
Old 4 Jul 2013, 19:37 (Ref:3273979)   #61
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
How about a racing around a circuit that has (I think) 24 different layouts....

Well Here ya go..
Click image for larger version

Name:	July 1 Top.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	40487

All the variations operate from the the single pit complex and run in an anti-counter clockwise direction.

The circuits vary in size from 1.97 miles (3.147 km) to 4.07 miles (6.509km)
Here are a few other angles.
Attached Thumbnails
July 1 angle 1.jpg   July 1 Angle 2.jpg   July 1 Angle 3.jpg  

July 1 Angle 4.jpg  
Old 4 Jul 2013, 19:45 (Ref:3273983)   #62
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Oh and in case you want to count the layouts here they are graphically. Hopefully you can make sense of them...

Name:	July 1 Short T1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	40492 Click image for larger version

Name:	July 1 Short Options.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	40493

Name:	July 1 Longer sections.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	40494 Click image for larger version

Name:	July 1 Longer with options.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	40495

Name:	July 1 Full Circuit options.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	40496

And just to help get a sense of scale amid all the colours, here's the dimensions of the circuit.

Name:	July 1 Dimensions.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	40497
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3274617)   #63
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Oh and in case you want to count the layouts here they are graphically. Hopefully you can make sense of them...

Attachment 40492 Attachment 40493
Attachment 40494 Attachment 40495
Attachment 40496

And just to help get a sense of scale amid all the colours, here's the dimensions of the circuit.
Attachment 40497
I swear that is the best track ever designed.

Every single layout is unique, organic, and real. Passing spots everywhere, and a wide variety of turns. This is impressive...
Old 30 Jul 2013, 23:04 (Ref:3283981)   #64
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I'll post this unfinished design, it was inspied by the suggestion of an arena circuit, so to try and give myself a scale to work within, I thied to find suitable venues or arenas that existed in the real world.

To give myself some space and to give the circuit some speed, it had to be fairly big, so I decided on the outline of a horse racing track with the assumptions that the inside would be flat, with raised grandstands giving a view over the whole circuit.

Name:	July 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	40790

In hind-sight the bridge should just have been a double span as it's now very congested.
The Red arrow indicates where the pits and paddock would be - there would of course be viewing above the pit garages, across the whole circuit.

Oh and for reference if anyone wants to know, the race course is Cheltenham

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 30 Jul 2013 at 23:09.
Old 31 Jul 2013, 00:51 (Ref:3284009)   #65
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly, this looks like a karting track

What kinds of vehicles did you have in mind?

And BTW, what's the track length?

All in all - I have to say some of the corner sequences look simply great. The "middle" section for example (the one that goes under the bridge) - looks just great.

bio
Old 31 Jul 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3284022)   #66
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
The circuit is 6.166km or 3.85 miles

The pit straight is 617m long
First pass under the bridge is 393m
Straight over the Bridge is 455m
Straight Approach to final sequence is 305

The opening sequence up until the first passage under the bridge I'm reasonably happy with.
I'm not so happy about the "concentric triangles" passing under the bridge for a second time before leading onto the bridge, is very mickey mouse, and a case of less might have been more.
I'm probably happiest with the section off the bridge and back under it again before opening out onto the straight for the final sequence of corners.

As to what races on it, in it's current layout only F1 or Endurance racing could be tempted by its lap size, but the "concentric triangles" would likely put them off.
If the circuit were to be adapted and shortened in this same area, then F1 and LMP/Endurance could race happily I believe.

There is also plenty of scope to reduce the size down with an International Link and a club circuit with separate "handling course"
Old 31 Jul 2013, 10:36 (Ref:3284151)   #67
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I think it's way too twisty for F1
Old 31 Jul 2013, 12:45 (Ref:3284217)   #68
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
I don't have the time or the will power to redo the circuit in Sketch-up so I've done a quick and not very accurate modification using other software.

The track marked in Green would disappear giving a less congested run to the bridge.
The Blue link would be a National circuit - The handling circuit created by the purple/pink section could be run at the same time.
The Gold section would give an international circuit with an omega type corner before joining the National lcircuit at a higher speed.

Not sure if it would make it any more F1 oriented but certainly if redrawn correctly with a twin rather than triple span bridge it would be more open.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2Mod.jpg  
Old 6 Aug 2013, 23:41 (Ref:3286695)   #69
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Just a quick something to keep things moving.

Thinking more of touring cars and Bikes rather than Fast Formulas

Name:	July 3 Top.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	40961
Old 7 Aug 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3286812)   #70
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Simple, yet effective.

bio
Old 9 Aug 2013, 00:07 (Ref:3287444)   #71
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Decision time

To Develop it or to leave it and move on....
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 1 Full Dimensions.jpg   Aug 1 Twin Dimensions.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3287656)   #72
moeom
Rookie

moeom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Decision time

To Develop it or to leave it and move on....
I don't know what it is, but it gives it an Endurance Race kind of feel.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 17:10 (Ref:3287670)   #73
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I like it - especially the top half.

bio
Old 10 Aug 2013, 00:29 (Ref:3287826)   #74
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
For Bio and everyone else here's the top circuit taking shape
Attached Thumbnails
Aug 1 Top pit.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3287949)   #75
bio
Veteran

Hungary
I personally don't care much for perspective - the may look nice, but deform the track. The trackline is fine here, however.

And my wording was a bit unfortunate: what i wanted to say (but didn't succeed ) was that i like the "perimeter" layout, and especially the northern part of it. It's like combining a traditional, more classic looking part (the top half) with a more modern one (the bottom half).

bio