Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 18 Feb 2009, 03:39 (Ref:2399416)   #1
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post Sebring ALMS car count?

I know this may get merged with the ALMS 2009 thread but looking at the Sebring entry list and subtracting the cars that are only doing that race is scaring me a little for grid sizes for most of the season. I know there are a couple of cars to still be added to the list but wow!
No Peugeot, Audi, or Corvette - 1 Risi, 1 Rahal BMW, no Drayson. Intersport, LG, Autocon all set for partial seasons. We really need the ex-Dyson RS Spyder, GT2 Vettes, 2 Jags, Corsa, 2nd BMW, Vici (1,2, or 3)and that Pescarolo to show up sooner rather than later. Petit and Laguna Seca should be ok, especially if Aston Martin comes over for them. I think Murphy is right about getting to Sebring if you can (just like he was about Petit last year).
Old 18 Feb 2009, 04:27 (Ref:2399425)   #2
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Corvette for St. Pete, but they'll be at Long Beach and everything at Le Mans.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 13:34 (Ref:2399631)   #3
Tom908V12
Veteran

France
Paris(France)
Tom908V12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep I also fear this season ALMS will be dangerously poor(except Sebring and maybe PLM)...especially in comparison to LMS
Old 18 Feb 2009, 15:00 (Ref:2399693)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ..... looks a bit grim , doesnt it .
Old 18 Feb 2009, 17:31 (Ref:2399777)   #5
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I think has been clear for some time, this is a season for the ALMS just to get through. Survival is success for motorsport in 2009 by and large, at least in North America.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2399798)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan
No Peugeot
Is that a surprise? I mean post Sebring and excluding PLM.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 20:19 (Ref:2399863)   #7
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No, none of it is surprising I was just too optimistic that we would see 20+ cars all season based on less than credible announcements. (Eco 2 cars, Vici 3 cars, Corsa, 2 BMW)
Old 18 Feb 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2399894)   #8
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis
Is that a surprise? I mean post Sebring and excluding PLM.
He was just emphasizing which cars on the Sebring list were not contesting the full season.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 22:05 (Ref:2399919)   #9
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan
No, none of it is surprising I was just too optimistic that we would see 20+ cars all season based on less than credible announcements. (Eco 2 cars, Vici 3 cars, Corsa, 2 BMW)
Hey, no reason to apologize for that...all of us hope for the best, and all of those you name have made announcements and given interviews that lead you in the direction of wonderful things happening. (If you're representing a publically traded corporation, you go to jail for less, of course.)

That's why Murphy (curmudgeon that he is) is your friend.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 22:25 (Ref:2399928)   #10
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Post Sebring car count, as far as I know:

Safe:
LMP1(3):
- Highcroft
- De Ferran
- Autocon (no St.Pete, I think)

LMP2(3):
- Fernandez
- Dyson
- Dyson

GT(10):
- Corvette (no St. Pete, Utah, Lime Rock, I think)
- Corvette (no St. Pete, Utah, Lime Rock, I think)
- Flying Lizard
- Flying Lizard
- Farnbacher-Loles
- Risi
- RLR
- Robertson
- PTG
- Prime Time

Part timers/Intentions:
LMP1
- Intersport
- Corsa
LMP2:
- Van der Steur
GT:
- 2nd Risi
- 2nd RLR
- LG
- TTFKAT
- Drayson
- Vici
- Jag (Rocketsport??)
- Jag (Rocketsport??)

I think St. Pete, closely followed byUtah and Lime Rock will probably be the worst race, if everything goes wrong - add a shunt at Sebring, or absolutely no part timers - there might be 15 or less cars for the St.Pete race.

Forgive me if I forgot someone...

Last edited by Speed-King; 18 Feb 2009 at 22:30.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2400010)   #11
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this season will be similar to 2006, when you had basically the same issues with car counts and factory vs. privateer. If that season was any guide, the racing was still compelling and remained relevant, even though the results were mostly predictable.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2400439)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I believe St. Pete will have the following entry.

LMP1(2):
- Highcroft
- De Ferran

LMP2(3):
- Fernandez
- Dyson
- Dyson

GT(9):
- Flying Lizard
- Flying Lizard
- Farnbacher-Loles
- Risi
- RLR
- Robertson
- PTG
- Prime Time
- Vici

14 cars.

Additions "could" include, Tony Dowe's entry, a second Vici entry, a second BMW, LG and Black Swan. I think 17-18 cars will be the final number at St. Pete.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 21:44 (Ref:2400482)   #13
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Fogelhund, have you heard any recent news on Black Swan? If they do St. Pete then I would assume they are in for Sebring?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 22:10 (Ref:2400501)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Some people are expecting (hoping?) they will submit an entry for Sebring shortly. It is my guess, that if they do Sebring, they'll do both.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:14 (Ref:2400520)   #15
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
If Intersport can get a funded third driver, hopefully they'll be at St. Pete as well?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:17 (Ref:2400521)   #16
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
If Intersport can get a funded third driver, hopefully they'll be at St. Pete as well?
"IF", yes.... well... There are many "If" possibilities out there, none any more likely than the other at this point. When you put a drivers wanted up on websites, it would seem that you are running out of real leads.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:22 (Ref:2400524)   #17
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I just figured if we're including maybes like Black Swan and such, that Intersport is just as much a maybe.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 23:30 (Ref:2400525)   #18
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359
I just figured if we're including maybes like Black Swan and such, that Intersport is just as much a maybe.
No... Black Swan has stated they will submit an entry for Sebring. It is a maybe in that the entry hasn't arrived yet.

Intersport has stated they will race at Sebring, and then only if they can find funding.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 00:02 (Ref:2400547)   #19
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
It would be nice to see Black Swan do at least a partial season. Interesting to see what the livery will look like since the Falken backing is gone.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 00:16 (Ref:2400552)   #20
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are we sure that there will be no Falken participation on the Black Swan car, especially as there seems to be no full Falken entry. (?)

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2400562)   #21
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
Are we sure that there will be no Falken participation on the Black Swan car, especially as there seems to be no full Falken entry. (?)

L.P.
I was told at SEMA by Falken's PR guy that Black Swan would NOT be on Falkens in 09.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 00:48 (Ref:2400567)   #22
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Speaking of tires, is anyone using Kumhos or Hankooks this year? I didn't see what Primetime was running on their Viper at the Winter Test.

Are we left with just Michelin, Dunlop, and the PTG Yokohamas?
Old 20 Feb 2009, 00:52 (Ref:2400570)   #23
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
I was told at SEMA by Falken's PR guy that Black Swan would NOT be on Falkens in 09.

You were also told there would be a full time 997, being run for Falken by the outfit that runs their drift team!

Cheaper to run just a developmental tire program, than a full entry, No?

L.P.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 01:09 (Ref:2400577)   #24
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
That thought had crossed my mind. Tim Pappas did say to EI that it was a two year program with the car, even after the Falken support was withdrawn, so who knows. It would certainly save money on a paint job. It would be cheaper than Falken running their own team too. Maybe it would allow Black Swan to run a full season too. That's enough speculating for one post.
Old 20 Feb 2009, 06:00 (Ref:2400635)   #25
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy
I think you were also told that Falken would support its own Porsche GT3 RSR.