Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Aug 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3284932)   #2526
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
The air inlet, similar to NASCAR.
Or rally or GT3, take your pick!
Old 2 Aug 2013, 08:21 (Ref:3284933)   #2527
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Easy when you run a 4 barrel carb,

not so easy when you run 8 individual throttles in a not 100% sealed airbox.
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
NASCAR don't use carbs.
They use fuel injection.
Yes, NASCAR have changed to injection, not sure if it's a single point throttle body unit though.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 08:37 (Ref:3284940)   #2528
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
Easy when you run a 4 barrel carb,

not so easy when you run 8 individual throttles in a not 100% sealed airbox.
Also not so easy when the airbox is not a controlled design part - in other words, teams can do their own thing on design.

To go to air restrictors, there'd need to be a design and test process for a control part air box, also where it draws it's air from on the car and aero testing to confirm parity across brands on external airflow and airbox flow, then testing done on restriction (can be more or less effective depending on push rod, OHV or multi valve engine design).

It CAN be done but it ain't quick and it ain't easy.

Maybe the issue with the Nissan and Benz engines is partly the teams building them. You'd have to look at how those teams' engines performed over the last couple of years but maybe there's still catch going on in terms of engine dept at the teams concerned.

Not convinced that the multi valve engines are that big an advantage with the 7.5K rev limit and despite the various comments made over time about "dinosaur" engines in V8s, ultimately a pushrod engine works pretty well in a class of racing like this (see how Corvette go against the multi valve opposition in sports cars for example). For one thing, a pushrod engine has a much lower centre of gravity than a multi overhead cam engine - in a class as tight as V8s, that alone is a benefit.

Last edited by Tourer; 2 Aug 2013 at 08:44.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 08:58 (Ref:3284945)   #2529
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So the torque sensor on the back of the crankshaft of all CotF-spec V8SCs has not yet established any disparity?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3284948)   #2530
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Tourer;3284940Maybe the issue with the Nissan and Benz engines is partly the teams building them. You'd have to look at how those teams' engines performed over the last couple of years but maybe there's still catch going on in terms of engine dept at the teams concerned.[/QUOTE]

This is a pretty pertinent question, SBR were never a slouch with engines but AMG are building the engines now.

I'm really not sure what to say about Kelly's Holden engines, they were not terrible but I am not sure they were rocketships either.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3284953)   #2531
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
The issue here is that some teams were reportedly complaining earlier in the season about a perceived power advantage that Nissan and Erebus might have, and parity applied. OK, now they should get their wish and have parity applied before Bathurst.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3284983)   #2532
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The issue here is that some teams were reportedly complaining earlier in the season about a perceived power advantage that Nissan and Erebus might have, and parity applied. OK, now they should get their wish and have parity applied before Bathurst.
Why? I don't recall teams complaining but if they did, I don't think any parity adjustment was applied (although that may be my memory at fault).

If a parity adjustment wasn't made then, why should one be made now?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 12:09 (Ref:3284988)   #2533
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Why? I don't recall teams complaining but if they did, I don't think any parity adjustment was applied (although that may be my memory at fault).

If a parity adjustment wasn't made then, why should one be made now?
It was reported here that Skaife was to periodically check the power output of the Nissan and Erebus engines following the concerns of some teams in the paddock.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3285001)   #2534
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
It was reported here that Skaife was to periodically check the power output of the Nissan and Erebus engines following the concerns of some teams in the paddock.
Yep remember that. So no parity has been applied & none needed now - if it were needed (due to the measurement of outputs) it would have shown up & been applied.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 20:36 (Ref:3285132)   #2535
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Yep remember that. So no parity has been applied & none needed now - if it were needed (due to the measurement of outputs) it would have shown up & been applied.
Or is parity only a "one way street" to be applied to Nissan and Erebus?
Old 2 Aug 2013, 22:34 (Ref:3285173)   #2536
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Or is parity only a "one way street" to be applied to Nissan and Erebus?
Never been a "one way street" but the logic is simple - with the engines' output being measured and with evaluation of on track pace there has been no parity adjustment made so far this year so why would one be justified now on what might happen at Bathurst.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3285180)   #2537
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Never been a "one way street" but the logic is simple - with the engines' output being measured and with evaluation of on track pace there has been no parity adjustment made so far this year so why would one be justified now on what might happen at Bathurst.
It's really simple, if Nissan and/or Erebus would have been found to have more power than the push-rod V8s, parity would have been applied so that they had no advantage, now that it has been found that they have less power it is only right to assume that the Ford and holden engines be paritised to suit. Otherwise in the future if the Nissan and AMG engines produce more power they will be correct if they refuse to have parity applied.........the game has changed and this should be an ongoing process.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:32 (Ref:3285190)   #2538
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Really? Has it been 'found' that they have less power? Where has that been announced?
You may also recall that there was some discussion about making allowances for the development curve both of the new engine programs were going through - with steps in the pipeline, what they had one race ago could be redundant at the next race etc.
Anyway, look forward to the info on those measured & confirmed lower power levels.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 01:04 (Ref:3285225)   #2539
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Really? Has it been 'found' that they have less power? Where has that been announced?
You may also recall that there was some discussion about making allowances for the development curve both of the new engine programs were going through - with steps in the pipeline, what they had one race ago could be redundant at the next race etc.
Anyway, look forward to the info on those measured & confirmed lower power levels.
Are you aligned to any particular team in any way?
Old 3 Aug 2013, 02:09 (Ref:3285243)   #2540
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Are you aligned to any particular team in any way?
Nup, not at all - why do you ask? Dare say if I was I'd know more about the current state of affairs from the inside.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 02:20 (Ref:3285248)   #2541
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pretty sure it has been confirmed (larko has spoken about it and have seen other people talk about it) that the new guys don't lack outright power, but the area under the curve is not the same so they lack power throughout the rev range.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 02:29 (Ref:3285249)   #2542
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Nup, not at all - why do you ask? Dare say if I was I'd know more about the current state of affairs from the inside.
I just thought that you may be..........I guess that you just don't want to see your favourite teams lose any advantage.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 03:32 (Ref:3285257)   #2543
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
I just thought that you may be..........I guess that you just don't want to see your favourite teams lose any advantage.
Don't have any favourite teams and again, I've yet to see any factual evidence that a particular team, engine, whatever has an advantage.

What I DO see is newcomers developing their package and getting closer to the benchmarks race by race. Supposedly good power but working on driveability etc from the engine. Both teams running the new brands seem to now be performing at a roughly similar level in the field to last year.No doubt been a learning curve for both the teams and the offshore engine development input. Kinda reminds me of when Prodrive first got involved - they had these hyper expensive engines built in the UK but the engines were dogs in the cars - very little driveablity, down on power on top of that. They got themselves sorted though.

Nissan and Mercedes need to do the same thing - not easy but they're getting there.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 04:58 (Ref:3285271)   #2544
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Don't have any favourite teams and again, I've yet to see any factual evidence that a particular team, engine, whatever has an advantage.

What I DO see is newcomers developing their package and getting closer to the benchmarks race by race. Supposedly good power but working on driveability etc from the engine. Both teams running the new brands seem to now be performing at a roughly similar level in the field to last year.No doubt been a learning curve for both the teams and the offshore engine development input. Kinda reminds me of when Prodrive first got involved - they had these hyper expensive engines built in the UK but the engines were dogs in the cars - very little driveablity, down on power on top of that. They got themselves sorted though.

Nissan and Mercedes need to do the same thing - not easy but they're getting there.
Can't disagree with what you have said, but there is no way that they will let Nissan or Erebus have an engine performance advantage no matter whether they work harder or smarter than the others.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 05:02 (Ref:3285272)   #2545
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Pretty sure it was sorted by letting the guys in Australia do the engines again
Old 3 Aug 2013, 05:37 (Ref:3285280)   #2546
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
Pretty sure it was sorted by letting the guys in Australia do the engines again
Yep - that was how it was done.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 21:40 (Ref:3285492)   #2547
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Let's hope that Nissan and Erebus are allowed to be competitive at Bathurst so that it doesn't end up another commodore fest.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3285496)   #2548
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Let's hope that Nissan and Erebus are allowed to be competitive at Bathurst so that it doesn't end up another commodore fest.
With that comment, you are dismissing Ford as a contender ?
Old 4 Aug 2013, 03:18 (Ref:3285557)   #2549
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
With that comment, you are dismissing Ford as a contender ?

they have many pitstops at Bathurst.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 04:40 (Ref:3285569)   #2550
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
They're allowed to be competitive now - but they're developing their stuff and haven't got themselves to the level they COULD be at under the rules - in other words, it's in their hands.

Like Reload, I'm a little surprised that you've given up completely on Ford already as a competitor for the commodore teams - seems to me that the falcons have been competitive all year and it does seem that (for now anyway) FPR have got to the bottom of their earlier pit stop issues.