Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 19 Mar 2001, 23:00 (Ref:72896)   #1
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOCA has introduced a super sprint race for its BTC Touring category.The race will be run over just 10 minutes’ duration, and will replace the original 20-25-lap sprint distance.

Series director Richard West believes that the super sprint format will create a great spectacle for fans.“It’s going to be fast and furious,” he says. “At the first round, on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit, drivers will have just 12 laps to do what they are going to do. There will be no punches pulled.”The super sprint will be retained for the whole season, even when the BTC Touring grid is boosted by the arrival of MG and a celebrity wildcard entry.

A further manufacturer is also currently in discussion with West.The time freed up in the BTC Touring schedule will be used for an extended pit walkabout and autograph session.
The BTC Production class sprint and the main feature race are unaffected by this change.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 01:22 (Ref:72927)   #2
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah an interesting one think it will definately see close racing maybe a few punch ups along the way too, just means we see less of the top / fast guys at every race in 2001, but hey should prevent it becoming too processional will be over before you know it!!

so whos the othere manufacturer volvo, volkswagon, skoda, renault !!?
Old 20 Mar 2001, 13:27 (Ref:73014)   #3
Paul V
Racer

Paul V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by RIKB
TOCA has introduced a super sprint race for its BTC Touring category. The race will be run over just 10 minutes’ duration, and will replace the original 20-25-lap sprint distance.

The time freed up in the BTC Touring schedule will be used for an extended pit walkabout and autograph session.
So less racing will be better?, I don't think this is a great way to get more punters in.
Old 20 Mar 2001, 14:30 (Ref:73025)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Hang on, isn't this actually more than we were going to get? I thought they'd dropped the separate BTC-T Sprint race, and were just going to run a BTC-P Sprint, and the feature for both classes. Now we seem to have 3 races, even if one's only 10 mins
Old 20 Mar 2001, 23:20 (Ref:73154)   #5
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My understanding was that they were going to have a full length Touring class sprint race, but now we have this shorter version.

Because it is so short the drivers will certainly have to get on with it, so we should see some exciting racing!

As for the time saved? Well the disappointed looks on peoples faces when they are told that the pitlane is now closed and they must leave, surely says that there is room for a longer pitlane walkabout.

A lot of fans derive a lot of pleasure from meeting their favourite driver and getting his autograph. Especially if its on a free poster.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 00:33 (Ref:73185)   #6
SPOONERBORO
Veteran

United Kingdom
UK
SPOONERBORO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree rikB pitlane walkabouts arent long enough really especially to get everyone through and im still saying that they let far too many people in pitlane at a time its only so long before someone has a nasty accident, last year at a rather less crowded silverstone powertour - my mate 1/4 of the Eggy Bennetts Big Olly was stood infront of me waiting to get karthikayens autograph when this bloke about 25 ish barged my mate out the way no apology nothing, next thing i know Olly has only gone and punched this bloke to the floor because he asked for an apology, and hey i wouldnt mess with big Olly 6ft 4 ins plus, 18stone ish, so as you can see its circumstances like this that should be avoided and the crush factor also sometimes can be a nightmare especially for little kids!!
Old 21 Mar 2001, 09:14 (Ref:73253)   #7
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sure this is just a case of "Oh bugger, not enough cars to make a race, we'd better make it really short"
Old 22 Mar 2001, 16:29 (Ref:73607)   #8
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Might have something to do with it-maybe TV?-i dont think BMP can get much of a BTCT sprint race with so few cars, so they'll be concentrating on the Feature. Btw, will the BTCP sprint get TV coverage, and will Charlie Cox and John Watson be the commentators?