Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 24 May 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3078829)   #51
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
There was an Alsatian dog in the next village that would chase cars along the road and if it happened to be the postman or paper deliverer it would actually bite a hole in the sidewall of the tyres even if they were on the move !!
I know it sounds a bit far fetched but my mate used to deliver the papers and it happened to him twice
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 24 May 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3078875)   #52
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
No I am worried about hitting the thing when he is chasing the car in front. Dogs get spooked however well behaved they are and can act irrationally, its just not the place for a dog and I am surprised so many think its ok.
Good point re spooking Al and the same can be applied to children, the aged and indeed every human! Can't count the number of times I've trundled in the paddock in a V8 (so not quiet) and encountered poor souls who seem to lose all ability to see, hear or think. More often than not as soon as they do become aware of you they inevitably jump in front of the car in a suicidal manner. And don't talk to me about kids, many of which I would gratefully see on a lead...

Life is all about common sense isn't it? We apply it in work, racing and caring for our pooch. The circuits in the UK don't allow our four legged friend so we don't take him. The circuits in Europe do so we take him and apply our normal dose of common sense. My view of course

Billy, I'm sure will be thrilled to meet all of you he has yet to greet.
Old 25 May 2012, 10:10 (Ref:3079121)   #53
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
Good point re spooking Al and the same can be applied to children, the aged and indeed every human! Can't count the number of times I've trundled in the paddock in a V8 (so not quiet) and encountered poor souls who seem to lose all ability to see, hear or think. More often than not as soon as they do become aware of you they inevitably jump in front of the car in a suicidal manner. And don't talk to me about kids, many of which I would gratefully see on a lead...

Life is all about common sense isn't it? We apply it in work, racing and caring for our pooch. The circuits in the UK don't allow our four legged friend so we don't take him. The circuits in Europe do so we take him and apply our normal dose of common sense. My view of course

Billy, I'm sure will be thrilled to meet all of you he has yet to greet.
Well, each to there own of course. But if on no other bases I would have thought the reason that says there are enough things to go wrong at a race meeting without adding to them, would have been the common sense approach.

Last edited by SAMD; 25 May 2012 at 10:12. Reason: spelling!
Old 25 May 2012, 10:56 (Ref:3079145)   #54
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
When I said scooters I meant those kids things you stand on with a lawnmower engine on the back. don't have a problem with 2wheeled conveyance at all, as long as its appropriately ridden, thats the problem. We trundle cars round paddocks so why people see fit to do 40mph on a scooter. Paddock etiquette is always an issue . . . don't worry Louise we'll be your neighbours!

I do plan to take appropriate 2 wheeled Conveyance, Italian, and period correct, in fact I've taken 2 of them out for a spin today already!
Old 25 May 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3079159)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
@LAK Actually you can take dogs to Lydden Hill strangely enough.
Old 26 May 2012, 20:58 (Ref:3079648)   #56
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Well if you're worried about being caught by one, just drive a lot faster!
No dog would ever ever catch Al, it'd slip on the oil.
Old 26 May 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3079656)   #57
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Irrelevant Tim all oil leaks on both car plugged at least a year ago!
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3093805)   #58
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
We're just home and unpacked-(ish) Our first visit to the Spa Summer classic, very impressed, not as busy as the 6 hour, which is good/bad in equal measure I guess, but there was a very relaxed friendly atmosphere, the weather wasn't fantastic but did little if anything to dampen enthusiasm and spirits. It just made circulating and loitering to chat etc a little more challenging, at least it wasn't cold/windy. Grids were fantastically varied, from all over Europe, many of them busy to full as well.

My only gripe with the whole weekend is the laziness and apathy from a majority of HRDC racers, we all have priorities, families/budget restrictions/'issues' etc, but I refuse to believe 100+ HRDC racers had their outlaws visiting from Mars/a new washing machine being delivered/a sick pet/tummy ache, and a cashflow crisis all on the same weekend. bitterly dissapointing, and surely damaging for the series. pull your finger out before it gets stuck up your own derrriere is all I can say ( well what did you expect? no one else will say it )

Those of us who did bother (murder pets/break banks,alienate family* delete as applicable) had a ball and Julius gave us the usual good reception etc.

The business . . . . it was wet, and raining, take that as a constant. we filed out for practice/qually and felt our way for a few laps, there were a few Spa Virgins on the grid as well as some seasoned travellers, personally, it was my first visit for 3 years, at least the circuits the same as last time! We had a real struggle to keep the car on the road in the wet at CC over easter, so where experimenting with tyre pressure to try and get the car at least enjoyable to drive, if not competitive. After 30 minutes slipping and sliding about a second separated 4 of us, and I was 5th overall, ahead of that little group, a suprise to say the least, I followed Brian round in his Elite to get my time!!!
Old 17 Jun 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3093823)   #59
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
typically, less than an hour after our qually the rain stopped and the sun shone .. . . . intermittently all day thereafter and the afternoon runners ( Dutch and HFF) got dry sessions . . . we sat atop the F1 pits with a refresher and soaked it all up, fantastic.

overnight rain, intermittent, followed by morning showers, rain, sprinkles and general extreme humidity (your getting the picture now aren't you?) meant that the race was probably going to be a little moist to damp . . . we where guessing the tyre pressures we tried where as good as it was going to get without another test, so we ran with it. I made a reasonable start ( as did everyone else around me) and somehow ended up 4th after a lap, I could see the lead cars dissapearing slowly and equally a queue forming behind me, as orderly as it was controlled whilst I was consistently ragged trying to maintain some form of pace, the Dorlin MK2 Jag breezed past me first, Kemmel I think, then almost inevitably I ran a little wide and onto the slippery bit, kerbs at Stavelot, thereby being passed by another 3 or 4 cars in one lap . Thereafter I held position until the pit stop ( with a spin at La source on my in lap!!!) we must have made a quick stop, as I came out a few seconds behind Brians Elite and the TR4 . . . Brian dissapeared but I hung onto, and started slowly catching ther TR . . . . nearing the end of the hour I was with it, got a great run up Eau Rouge and a better exit, pulled alongside, briefly ahead, then at the top of Kemmel the TR just had the extra grunt to pull a car length ahead again, It would have been a glorious outbraking manouvre, but more likely it could have been an embarassing and expensive bansai cock up. Thereafter I stayed close but didn't get another opportunity to pass, I don't think the Cortina is a match for any of those GT cars so I was happy with our result and our improvements in wet drivability (at no cost!) I had a continuous and thoroughly fantastic race for 68 minutes. The car was rock solid, bar some braking vibration at the wheel, and no damage. well done to everyone that turned out and pity those who didn't, you don't know what your missing, or you'd be there!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3094008)   #60
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Zef has summed up things pretty neatly but I'll put my spin on things (not literally!). I share the frustration with my fellow HRDC drivers - their loss was most definintely our win but I really feel for Julius. What should have been a glorious outing for us all was still a wonderful one but at some cost to him I'm sure. I thank all those HRDC guys who made the effort and who put on a great show of clean driving in tough conditions.

The Aurelia loves the rain and so far this year our rain dance has worked at every event - I fear we may be banned from racing it soon! I only did a couple of laps in practice to test my recovering fractured wrist - in fact it was perfect all weekend other than doing chores when it ached! We were happy with a mid-grid position, never thinking we could keep up with the little GTs and zippy Bs and pre-63 TCs even in the rain. We just hoped for more rain on race day to ensure we weren't swamped by those behind us!

Well we certainly got our wish! The rolling start worked well (the Aurelia has a tiny clutch so we normally have to be very careful not to overheat it on standing starts) and Jason drove a very racy first half of the race, battling with GTs and others. Arthur F-S had a problem in the Rapier but thankfully it was mendable and it was fantastic to see him "doing his stuff". Zef meanwhile was like a rocket ship going down the pit straight.

We had a great pit stop and off I went. Other than scaring myself witless the first time up Eau Rouge (note to oneself - don't try to go flat out regardless of how stable the car feels) I had a pretty stable race. I could see Arthur F-S behind me but pretty much guessed he was a lap behind (he was) so was happy to just keep him out of view. I got lapped but also lapped others and in the end I had a lovely little battle with an MGB that sadly just beat me for position - they are so very fast down the straights!

We were over the moon to see we'd won the Touring Greats part of the race as sadly the Zephyr didn't last more than a lap. Perhaps not a massive victory given there were only 7 in our part of the race but a victory to us nontheless. We had a terrific time, good race and the car is in rude health ready for more racing next week.

Thanks again to all our fellow HRDC racers who got out there - a small but hardy bunch of people and everyone seemed to enjoy it. As ever huge thanks to Julius and Micky for making it a weekend to remember. Congrats and a recognition of an amazing drive must go to our winner in the TVR Griffith - awesome to see it out there and makes us want to get our engine run in and racing again.

Lastly, well done to mate Laurence Bailey who managed an 8th overall in the first CSCC Swinging Sixties race in his Corvette. Given the conditions it was a remarkable drive in such a powerful car. Sadly the car clearly doesn't like dry consitions as the clutch gave out in the second race.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3094020)   #61
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great posts, Joe and Louise, thanks. Louise, see you hopefully at the weekend, although I really hope it doesn't rain!
Old 18 Jun 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3094022)   #62
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post

My only gripe with the whole weekend is the laziness and apathy from a majority of HRDC racers, we all have priorities, families/budget restrictions/'issues' etc, but I refuse to believe 100+ HRDC racers had their outlaws visiting from Mars/a new washing machine being delivered/a sick pet/tummy ache, and a cashflow crisis all on the same weekend. bitterly dissapointing, and surely damaging for the series. pull your finger out before it gets stuck up your own derrriere is all I can say ( well what did you expect? no one else will say it )
That's a bit unfair, some people may have different priorities and let's not forget that going to Spa is not a cheap exercise and just because you can murder pets, rob banks etc. doesn't mean everyone else wants to.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3094102)   #63
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
We're all entitled to our opinions Tim.

I actually think Spa is very good value, if treated as 2 races, its as cheap or cheaper than any other meeting, you either treat yourself to 2 at once, or share the car to half the costs.
Old 18 Jun 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3094187)   #64
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Maybe people don't want to or can't afford in the present climate to do two races have you thought of that? Its no good knocking guys for not going I was one of them and it would have cost me well over a grand or another way of putting it two meetings over here which I would prefer to do as I want to spread my racing out over the season and I simply cannot justify it when you don't know when the next job is going to come through the door, these are hard times for all of us I am with Tim on this one.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 11:18 (Ref:3094765)   #65
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love (be terrified) to do Spa and envy those who can say that doing events on the Continent is cheaper than events over here......but as its 650+ miles round trip for us just to get to the Channel ports that does rather skew the equation......

Wonder how many are the same people who moan that its a long way to Oulton, and Anglesey is just impossible.......
Old 19 Jun 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3094780)   #66
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that to Hull or Dover? There's a ferry service to Holland from where the journey to Spa is pretty good (comparatively).

I was going to enter this with the MG but it occured to me that it may be better to do Silverstone next weekend for a number of reasons, one of which is that the B is entered in the Spa 6hrs so doing Spa twice seems a bit daft. Another reason was that a shared drive we'd planned became doubtful.

Interestingly after Silverstone we're entered in the Oulton Park Gold Cup with the Capri (yet to enter the B). I just hope that there's at least a gap of a race between the two that I'm entered in this time. Gawd knows how we'll cope at Silverstone this weekend. Going to have to speak nicely to the CoC so I can park the Capri near the assembly area.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 12:32 (Ref:3094808)   #67
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'd love (be terrified) to do Spa and envy those who can say that doing events on the Continent is cheaper than events over here......but as its 650+ miles round trip for us just to get to the Channel ports that does rather skew the equation......

Wonder how many are the same people who moan that its a long way to Oulton, and Anglesey is just impossible.......
This meeting and the 6 hour weekend are not cheap to enter compared with other races at Spa and I reckon It's at least a £1500-£2000 weekend if not more. As for Anglesey, that's actually further than Spa for me and even including the ferry can it take longer to get there than Spa.
You could always go Hull-Rotterdam overnight and it cuts out about 50-70 miles each way comparing it to Calais.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3094810)   #68
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I just hope that there's at least a gap of a race between the two that I'm entered in this time. Gawd knows how we'll cope at Silverstone this weekend. Going to have to speak nicely to the CoC so I can park the Capri near the assembly area.
Get someone to drive it round and take the B back for you.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3094857)   #69
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is the plan.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3094858)   #70
LAK
Racer

Hi guys. Undoubtedly cost of course comes into everything, especially these days. As ever it's a choice on how people decide to spend their money. I've always said that Jason and I balence experience v. expense. If the experience is worth it to us we'll spend our limited budget and for us racing at Spa is a major highlight. That's our choice.

My personal disappointment is not aimed at anyone who chose not to expense this, would spend days getting there or had alternative things to do (I get the "real life" stuff that's very often difficult to avoid!). It's aimed at people who said they would compete then pulled their entries, a fair few (I understand) as they got an entry to a certain high profile event in September. However as mentioned, it didn't dampen the great time we had amongst those that chose to go and of course I respect that people have the right to make their own choices given their personal circumstances.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3095668)   #71
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could always go Hull-Rotterdam overnight and it cuts out about 50-70 miles each way comparing it to Calais.[/QUOTE]

Looked at Hull/Rotterdam earlier this year when pricing up options for Spa in September. Hull is very convenient for me but when I priced up with P&O for van, trailer and 3 people it came out at around £1,000. Dover / Calais with the new route from DFDS (old Norfolk Line) it came to £108 and we could take 4 people. Admittedly this was a special offer price to celebrate the new route and there is the extra time element and fuel cost for York to Dover round trip (approx 530 miles) but no way would I use Hull/Rotterdam now.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 10:04 (Ref:3095859)   #72
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
It was £180 for 24ft camper and trailer D-C.

not rising to individual comments from people not involved, but when 60 sign up and 27 turn up, thats tantamount to shi***** in your own back garden.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 10:06 (Ref:3095860)   #73
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post
It's aimed at people who said they would compete then pulled their entries,.............
Welcome to our world Louise.........Remember 2010 and the "Alternative Six Hour"?....I have a list of people who were "going to do it" who showed soo much interest and "could not wait" and registered......... but didn't do it, they effectively pulled their entry I didnt aim criticism at them at the time, nor afterwards (in fact JT commented on my forgiving for it ) and I dont think we should in this case either. As has been said, this meeting is hardly "a bargain", to get a car there and back plus everything you need is not cheap. It is one of the greatest circuits I have ever been to, clerked at and driven round but its a luxury and as such, may suffer if needs must and people should remember thats its very easy to say you will do something and then change your mind....such is the nature of MotorSport.

Unfortunately the only people who can really afford to go racing at the moment it seems, tend to be those who are paid to go racing and it is, for most, a hobby, an expensive one at that. People choose wisely how they spend their money and im sure they use the same formula as you have mentioned Expense Vs Experience its just that by the looks of it, the experience for some, did not outweigh the expense.....again, such is the nature of our beloved sport
Old 21 Jun 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3095951)   #74
MrFreight
Rookie

MrFreight should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I've registered today specifically to answer the points concerning SPA HRDC raised by a few on here which have ticked me off a little.

Speaking purely for myself here due to other commitments I knew at the start of the HRDC season that SPA was a no go for me therefore no promise was made (I'm a good boy I am!) this was always the case.I was/am comittted to ALL of the other HRDC events this year as I have been since its inception (and all of Julius' Series since TOP HAT ) for me whether my Car was chosen for the Sept event or not was and is immaterial - it is as it happens but I'll still be at Donnington pressing on regardless!

I appreciate promises made/broken by others is unfortunate and will lead to serious financial exposure to ANY organiser for that we do have sympathy for him/them - it's not good and not good for future plans.

However I'm guessing SOME of the NO SHOWS were in reality regular Racers with the series and whilst not showing at SPA (For whatever reason) will/may race in every other meeting this year as they may have done in the past and probably in the future too!

I don't think it's good form for Racers in our series be they regular or sometimes participants to get such a kicking - at the end of the day they may be out there racing against you in all of the future meetings thus keeping up the numbers that way.

My points are made just to enev the discussion up a little!

See you all at Donington in July come rain(propbably) or shine (maybe)

Mr Freight
Old 21 Jun 2012, 14:54 (Ref:3095994)   #75
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Peter Mallett;3094780]Is that to Hull or Dover? There's a ferry service to Holland from where the journey to Spa is pretty good (comparatively).

Interestingly after Silverstone we're entered in the Oulton Park Gold Cup with the Capri (yet to enter the B). I just hope that there's at least a gap of a race between the two that I'm entered in this time.[ /QUOTE]

I was talking Dover/Folkstone, but as others have said, whilst Hull is much better for us and a pleasant way to start a weekend with an overnight crossing, its darned expensive.....Used it last time we went to Spa - spanner-weilding for a friend running a Radical, a few years back - but that was without taking a trailer.

If I can be of any assistance when you're at the Gold Cup at my local circuit feel free to ask!