Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 6 Sep 2011, 15:08 (Ref:2951708)   #26
marcostraz
Veteran

marcostraz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think that is the worst idea that Bernard ever had...
Old 6 Sep 2011, 20:19 (Ref:2951834)   #27
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apples and Oranges, but...

...V8 Supercars at Gold Coast

Andy Priaulx
Sebastien Bourdais
Fabrizio Giovinardi
Boris Said
Dirk Muller
Joey Hand
Augusto Farfus
Lucas Di Grassi
Simon Pagenaud
Marino Franchitti
Dan Wheldon
Ryan Briscoe
Vitantonio Liuzzi
David Brabham
Marc Lieb
Scott Dixon
Helio Castroneves
Will Power
Mika Salo
Jan Magnussen
Christian Klien
Richard Westbrook
Allan Simonsen
Joerg Bergmeister
Alex Tagliani
Tony Kanaan

Indycar at Las Vegas ($Five Million prize)

Tumbleweeds
Old 6 Sep 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2951838)   #28
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Yeah, I'm afraid all my initial enthusiasm for Randy has gone. This idea was always stupid, even if Ganassi or Penske were to run an IndyCar rookie, the chances of them winning were so remote that there was no real excitement in this "challenge".

Plus you don't go around putting people with no open wheel experience straight out on an oval, with presumably minimal testing beforehand. It's plain dangerous and reminiscent of the old IRL. That kind of gimmick should be reserved for safe tin-tops like the Toyota guest race at Long Beach.

Plus Randy's vocal support for Brian Barnhart, and the fact that hideous new car was created under his stewardship. He openly admits he came into this not knowing a thing about the sport, but where he failed was listening to the same old IRL people rather than those who truly understand what made AOWR great in the fading past.

Bernard, Barnhart and Cotman, they should all take a running jump.
I agree, I am starting to lose confidence in Randy. I really thought he could be the man who could single-handedly save Open Wheel racing in the United States, but it appears he is just another Heitzler, Pook, George or Kalkhoven.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 20:39 (Ref:2951844)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
It was an idea for the pub and one that shouldn't have survived the hangover.

Débutante + Oval = Wreck, cash hole for cash strapped team bosses and plenty of tears all around.

Meanwhile in RandyWorld: Débutante + Oval = Contender.

I'm actually glad the idea died at this stage. A few lame duck C list celebrity names peddling around at the back would've been an even bigger fiasco.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2951865)   #30
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Apples and Oranges, but...

...V8 Supercars at Gold Coast

Andy Priaulx
Sebastien Bourdais
Fabrizio Giovinardi
Boris Said
Dirk Muller
Joey Hand
Augusto Farfus
Lucas Di Grassi
Simon Pagenaud
Marino Franchitti
Dan Wheldon
Ryan Briscoe
Vitantonio Liuzzi
David Brabham
Marc Lieb
Scott Dixon
Helio Castroneves
Will Power
Mika Salo
Jan Magnussen
Christian Klien
Richard Westbrook
Allan Simonsen
Joerg Bergmeister
Alex Tagliani
Tony Kanaan

Indycar at Las Vegas ($Five Million prize)

Tumbleweeds
Amazing isn't it.

And as I understand it all those drivers are getting a base fee of $20k each to race. Maybe more money is changing hands from the teams themselves, dunno.

But still amazing the difference. And amazing that the irl blew off the Gold Coast and that race will never happen again as the event has been permanently altered.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 13:20 (Ref:2952207)   #31
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PZippy View Post
I still think we'll see Wheldon running in Vegas with Herta, to take a shot at the $5M.
It would be absolutely awesome if the #98 Herta/Curb/Agajanian/Schmidt car which already won this year's Indy 500 as a one-off team entry (this IS historical when looking at the last 30 years) would get a shot at winning this race with Dan Wheldon driving.

It would also be great if Herta could run a full season campaign with Wheldon next year. Never change a winning team, or so the saying goes.

I'm pretty sure the "red car" teams would take this small team much more seriously now than they did back at Indy.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 13:32 (Ref:2952214)   #32
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
It would be absolutely awesome if the #98 Herta/Curb/Agajanian/Schmidt car which already won this year's Indy 500 as a one-off team entry (this IS historical when looking at the last 30 years) would get a shot at winning this race with Dan Wheldon driving.
If you recall, Sam Schmidt (in partnership with Herta's team due to SSM's wreckage issues at Indy with Bell's incident, ran a driver in the #98 car at texas and it got wrecked there. Wheldon was in the booth on the Versus broadcast team and was rather upset about it.

That car was going to get restored and repaired, but I doubt it will ever turn another wheel, especially since it won the centenniall celebration of the Indy 500.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Sep 2011, 19:41 (Ref:2954657)   #33
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ho! According to Curt Cavin, IndyCar will wnnounce tomorrow that Dan Wheldon will race for the US$ 5 million check at Las Vegas!
Old 12 Sep 2011, 19:52 (Ref:2954665)   #34
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Ho! According to Curt Cavin, IndyCar will wnnounce tomorrow that Dan Wheldon will race for the US$ 5 million check at Las Vegas!
They think that it'll be set up so that Wheldon would get half and a lucky fan would get the other half of the prize money if he wins it....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2954675)   #35
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yannick, they should make you the "lucky fan".
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:28 (Ref:2954680)   #36
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
They think that it'll be set up so that Wheldon would get half and a lucky fan would get the other half of the prize money if he wins it....

So now it's gotten so bad they have to pay fans to turn up to irl races with a "lottery" or a "raffle". I'm sure it will be tied to attendance/ticket sales for the race. In other words you have to buy a race ticket to be eligible for the raffle, assuming Welldone wins and doesn't drop out with "handling problems" after 5 laps. And if that's the case, with it being vegas, a lot of punters will buy tickets for their chance at the money and few will care about the actual event.

At the end of the day, it's just another gimmicky cost as few people know about or care about Dan Welldone. You'd be better off taking that $5 million and investing it in the TV package or some other tangible item of value.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2954690)   #37
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Yannick, they should make you the "lucky fan".
Thank you Jagtech for the kudos. But I don't have a US ZIP-Code so I guess it's unlikely. LOL.

Anyway, it's a good decision from IndyCar officials and I hope that the Herta/Schmidt/Curb/Agajanian/William Rast #98 team will be back in strong form like at Indy, even if it means competing with a different chassis. That should be good for their next season's campaign.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2972089)   #38
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the race is underway and... I hope everyone made it through that crash alive. That was bad, really bad.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2972091)   #39
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That looked like Atlanta 2001 all over again.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:00 (Ref:2972095)   #40
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
That looked like Atlanta 2001 all over again.
Atlanta 2001 was bad, but this looked a lot worse. I think it was Dan Wheldon who somersaulted through the air and into the fence.

Edit - Holy crap. I was wrong, I don't think Wheldon got air. But at least two other cars flipped and a third flew an incredible amount of feet through the air - and slammed directly into another car up against the wall.

Edit 2 - Going back and viewing the live angle of the crash it seems it was indeed Dan Wheldon flying through the air (didn't realize he had a primarily black car).
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:04 (Ref:2972096)   #41
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was beyond nasty. The cars getting that much air was frightening. Good to see many of the drivers walk away, hopefully they are all o.k
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:09 (Ref:2972100)   #42
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow that was hideous. I don't have any word on the rest of the field involved. How did the other wrecked drivers come out. PIPPA Man looked a real.shaken mess, and what car was crushed? This is dreadful. You would think they would have NASCAR style airbrakes in the sidepods or something. I hope they are all ok.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2972105)   #43
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like the way that two cars are covered up or that the Medivac Chopper is spooling up. That was a horrible wreck and I have the same feeling as I had in 1999 watching Fontana
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:17 (Ref:2972106)   #44
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The trouble is, air brakes would have done nothing. This was NOT a case of "blowing over". This was a case of cars physically climbing over one another, and also wheel-to-wheel contact.

From the onboard, Will was one of the cars that launched and rolled.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:26 (Ref:2972113)   #45
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
very very scary , thoughts and prayers are with the injured drivers , that was simply horrifying and i felt/feel sick to my stomach seeing it
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2972120)   #46
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prayers for Dan.
Dario's championship win will be sadly overshadowed.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 20:57 (Ref:2972126)   #47
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
word on Justin's chatter is intrusion into helmet - not good if true. Massa / Senna scenario.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2972130)   #48
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just caught news of this and have been trying to get more info - looks very bad, prayers for Dan Wheldon and his family.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2972132)   #49
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a photo circulating showing the roll hoop was crushed, very similar to Diniz many years ago...

Thoughts are with Dan right now.
Old 16 Oct 2011, 21:11 (Ref:2972136)   #50
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to bed now, but I won't sleep well. Just saw the images ... horrific. I hope really that Dan is ok.

I saw the crash from Will Powers pov ... he was extremely lucky not being hit by a lose tire.