Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 14 Aug 2011, 22:58 (Ref:2939703)   #51
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
Here's hoping, for 2013, when Penske, Chevrolet and Lotus develop bodies, they will come up with something more functional looking..
When? If?

Good luck on that.

Anyone that was interested will not be now thanks to constant fiddling with what they are doing.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 23:54 (Ref:2939715)   #52
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, here's hoping... There is still a faint glimmer of hope...

There is... isn't there?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 00:10 (Ref:2939720)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

There is... isn't there?
They need to open up the competition, not just to multiple engines but multiple chassis; the aero-kit thing is just a short termist fudge; reminds me of Tony Blair and New Labour.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 00:35 (Ref:2939727)   #54
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Och.... Just a sad sad situation.

Indycar should strive to be the best! Not some show going after TV ratings, style and silly gimmicks, and then claiming to be the best in the world in the usual PR nonsense.

The very fact that the Dallara kit was designed with ''style'' in mind says it all. You can't manufacture a great series. Good things just.. work. But, as we have seen with so many racing series, good things don't last forever.

In fact, all of the racing world is going this way. Its all about the ''show''. Racing should be thrilling without trying, without flaunting, that is what attracts the people to the sport.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2939732)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Och.... Just a sad sad situation.

Indycar should strive to be the best! Not some show going after TV ratings, style and silly gimmicks, and then claiming to be the best in the world in the usual PR nonsense.

The very fact that the Dallara kit was designed with ''style'' in mind says it all. You can't manufacture a great series. Good things just.. work. But, as we have seen with so many racing series, good things don't last forever.

In fact, all of the racing world is going this way. Its all about the ''show''. Racing should be thrilling without trying, without flaunting, that is what attracts the people to the sport.
Couldn't agree more. Look at F1, half of next season goes to Sky and Murdoch and the cars get more specy, with gimmicks like DRS because they can't overtake.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 01:34 (Ref:2939739)   #56
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

There is... isn't there?
How many turned up for new hampshire today?

There is no hope at all left for American open wheel racing. None. It is 20th century history dying a lingering death in 2011.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 03:09 (Ref:2939743)   #57
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i saw that farce.
ovals are tough, but what was wrong here i don't know, Helio spinning? dario and takuma getting into weird contact...
what a bizarro end and a goofy race- the cameras are all set up for cup i think they need to go to a different lens to increase the sense of speed for indycars for the broadcasts...
this was pretty terrible though. and barnhardt really doesn't seem to be in touch with racing at all, he has been perched in the IRL and hasn't really gotten dirty down there it seems in the trenches- and that big fella isn't racing karts or club racers any time to be able to really control races if he has no relevant and current exposure he seems ill placed.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 19:01 (Ref:2940132)   #58
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Barnhart got any experience as a Clerk of the Course etc? If it was me I'd want either someone with that qualification and a lot of experience, or even better, an FIA-level race director!

Not saying the guy is stupid or anything (I'd be useless at it), but I think for the top level of racing you need a top-level Clerk...
Old 25 Aug 2011, 00:49 (Ref:2945410)   #59
Spyder_Monkey
Rookie

Bhutan
Mobile, Alabama
Spyder_Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Model names

This is slightly off topic, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. This Marshall Pruett article refers to the new car as the "IR12" and the current as the "IR07". But, I haven't been able to find any other references on the internet to the IR07. Everything else points to the current car being the IR05, which debuted in 2003. I can't see any difference in pictures between 2006 and 2007, but maybe it's totally under the skin? Or am I the only one who cares?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 03:01 (Ref:2945426)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder_Monkey View Post
This is slightly off topic, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. This Marshall Pruett article refers to the new car as the "IR12" and the current as the "IR07". But, I haven't been able to find any other references on the internet to the IR07. Everything else points to the current car being the IR05, which debuted in 2003. I can't see any difference in pictures between 2006 and 2007, but maybe it's totally under the skin? Or am I the only one who cares?
You may find this link useful:

http://www.orkut.com.br/CommMsgs?cmm...49425654468301

Personally, ICONIC committee should have gone with Lola.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 11:12 (Ref:2945576)   #61
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Personally, ICONIC committee should have gone with Lola.
Totally agree. I'd be looking forward to next year so much more in anticipation of a field of great looking Lolas. It would be at least one part of the puzzle of getting AOWR back towards where it should be, even if it's merely great aesthetics and awe inspiring cars. Some would argue only existing fans care about such things, and cool looking cars won't win over a new audience, but I don't think that's the whole story.

Instead of Lola we get a comedy pig designed by committee, and the people in charge show they couldn't care less what their few remaining fans are crying out for. Wish they'd admit all that ugly excess bodywork is to maximise sponsor space. From what I've heard from Cotman and Dallara, there's zero chance of the airbox going now.

From what I gather the Dallara thing was always going to be a done deal. Sounds like extremely shady and anti-competitive business practice.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2945790)   #62
gttouring
Veteran

I saw the new released renault 3.5 world series car. Wow. Indy car chould haave gone with that. Isn't it dallara? No I can't be it's too good looking.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 20:14 (Ref:2945885)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Totally agree. I'd be looking forward to next year so much more in anticipation of a field of great looking Lolas. It would be at least one part of the puzzle of getting AOWR back towards where it should be, even if it's merely great aesthetics and awe inspiring cars. Some would argue only existing fans care about such things, and cool looking cars won't win over a new audience, but I don't think that's the whole story.

Instead of Lola we get a comedy pig designed by committee, and the people in charge show they couldn't care less what their few remaining fans are crying out for. Wish they'd admit all that ugly excess bodywork is to maximise sponsor space. From what I've heard from Cotman and Dallara, there's zero chance of the airbox going now.

From what I gather the Dallara thing was always going to be a done deal. Sounds like extremely shady and anti-competitive business practice.
I think you're right it was a done deal with Dallara.

The thing that get's me is the backtracking on the aero-kits and now with the retention of the air box very likely, why a turbo engined car would need one is baffling, is the rumour that there won't be turbo engines next year either; hence the airbox.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 21:24 (Ref:2945944)   #64
Jacques Rabbit
Veteran

Slovakia
Jacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJacques Rabbit should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know it's a bad attitude, but I just don't see how I can watch an auto race with 20 of those things. The more I see it, the worse it is, every time. You don't think it can look uglier but every new angle, it does.

A spec-series of a Lola or Swift with competing engine suppliers would have been pretty cool as a realistic alternative. I'd like it more than this.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:12 (Ref:2945962)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
In this article from http://www.racer.com/cotman-new-indy...rticle/209598/

Tony Cottman says the airbox is a turbo-inlet. A turbo-inlet the size of an airbox is going to produce drag. When turbos have been used in the past, in Indy/CART, F1 and Group C, a turbo inlet that size was never used, so why now?
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2945973)   #66
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I heard Cotman saying (on Trackside August 11th I believe) something like the reason for the fake airbox was they wanted the turbo air inlet(s) to be unaffected by the different aero kit designs... in other words to prevent the aero kit designers from thinking up advanced ways of channeling air into the turbo inlets and gaining significant advantage. Or something along those lines, so don't quote me on that!. I'm not very good with technical stuff. Whatever, it seemed pretty certain he wasn't going to give a damn about any criticism it was getting, the thing's an integral part of the car's design and sounds like it's there to stay.

I'd happily do without the aero-kits (if we even get any takers in 2013) if it could do away with this monstrosity of a 'turbo inlet'. I can't get too excited about the aero kit concept anyway, the rest will still be clearly a Dallara, and surely all the aero-kits will end up looking virtually identical.

There is so much wrong with the look of these cars, the hated air box is only one part. PLEASE IndyCar, look at Lola's much less hideous rear wheel protection and do what needs to be done if you really need this health-and-safety addition.
Old 25 Aug 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2945981)   #67
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
I heard Cotman saying (on Trackside August 11th I believe) something like the reason for the fake airbox was they wanted the turbo air inlet(s) to be unaffected by the different aero kit designs... in other words to prevent the aero kit designers from thinking up advanced ways of channeling air into the turbo inlets and gaining significant advantage. Or something along those lines, so don't quote me on that!. I'm not very good with technical stuff. Whatever, it seemed pretty certain he wasn't going to give a damn about any criticism it was getting, the thing's an integral part of the car's design and sounds like it's there to stay.

I'd happily do without the aero-kits (if we even get any takers in 2013) if it could do away with this monstrosity of a 'turbo inlet'. I can't get too excited about the aero kit concept anyway, the rest will still be clearly a Dallara, and surely all the aero-kits will end up looking virtually identical.

There is so much wrong with the look of these cars, the hated air box is only one part. PLEASE IndyCar, look at Lola's much less hideous rear wheel protection and do what needs to be done if you really need this health-and-safety addition.
What I find really irritating is Lola came up with the idea of aero-kits in the first place and as for the hideous real wheel protection, I thought Swifts Mushroom Buster, which incorporated rear wheel protection, was an excellent idea. This whole Dallara thing seems to have gone off at a tangent.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2946021)   #68
gttouring
Veteran

Cotman talking down to the fans with the air box turbo inlet bull crap is so condescending. one does not need to be an engineer to understand it is not necessary to look that way to function and a roll hoop integrated into the inlet is one thing but they are not necessarily tied together.
i can hold my feeling that Cotman and Barnhart get lost. yes they are long time names in the operations and have a love for racing but they have lost the plot.
the world is filled with really gorgeous and safe open wheel cars, and Dallara and the current and foreseeable future of Indy car is a disgrace to the speedway and Indy car racing.
really get lost. the double championship has also gotten on my nerves as silly.
the whole thing needs to be blown up now.
Old 26 Aug 2011, 03:47 (Ref:2946064)   #69
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Cotman talking down to the fans with the air box turbo inlet bull crap is so condescending. one does not need to be an engineer to understand it is not necessary to look that way to function and a roll hoop integrated into the inlet is one thing but they are not necessarily tied together.
Agreed, so what's the point of it, more advertising space or no turbo engines?
Old 26 Aug 2011, 11:08 (Ref:2946258)   #70
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Swift put some extra ad space on the front of their Formula Nippon cars, and it actually looks very very good. If only the new Indycar had this sort of look about it..
Old 26 Aug 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2946316)   #71
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Swift put some extra ad space on the front of their Formula Nippon cars, and it actually looks very very good. If only the new Indycar had this sort of look about it..
This is what beggars belief, the Swift FN09 is tried, tested and successful profuct and yet the ICONIC committee went for another Dallara product, even though their last offering was unpopular. As has been said it was obviously a done deal; so much for promoting American manufacturers, especially in the current economic climate.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:03 (Ref:2947819)   #72
gttouring
Veteran

I always did. Like that swift. But almost every option except the delta wing was better. Although in an oval only series I can see the delta working well.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:12 (Ref:2947832)   #73
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
I always did. Like that swift. But almost every option except the delta wing was better. Although in an oval only series I can see the delta working well.
The D-Wing's racing at Le Mans next year so that will prove interesting.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2947841)   #74
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Its not racing for sure, it is competing against a few other concepts for a spot at Le Mans.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 19:16 (Ref:2947867)   #75
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Its not racing for sure, it is competing against a few other concepts for a spot at Le Mans.
I thought the other concepts were nearly as ready as the D-Wing.