Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Aug 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3759673)   #2576
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
She's due to be fully operational for 2023 only…*Do you remember that our Charles de Gaulle carrier was too short for some aircraft to be used on her? Sooo French! At least you know how to spare money, yours needs only around 1000 operators while they use 4000 in the US.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 06:46 (Ref:3759676)   #2577
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Appears our pilots are in the 'States learning to fly the F35B Lightnings that will be used on the carrier, and we only have 10 planes at the moment. Best is that they are VTOL/STOL and the squadron is going to be based at Marham near here..... They can't be any noisier than the American stuff that seems to be going round in circles most days above Norfolk at the moment- can they?

Gerard, they have had to dredge Portsmouth harbour entrance so the carrier can get in- the water wasn't deep enough as it was!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 07:39 (Ref:3759683)   #2578
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Appears our pilots are in the 'States learning to fly the F35B Lightnings that will be used on the carrier, and we only have 10 planes at the moment. Best is that they are VTOL/STOL and the squadron is going to be based at Marham near here..... They can't be any noisier than the American stuff that seems to be going round in circles most days above Norfolk at the moment- can they?

Gerard, they have had to dredge Portsmouth harbour entrance so the carrier can get in- the water wasn't deep enough as it was!
Have you seen the pictures on The Telegraph? There's a nice head-on shot - she'd certainly fill your rear-view mirror!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:04 (Ref:3759689)   #2579
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
But was RNS Queen Elizabeth a vanity project? Is it relevant?
Possibly, but more to do with a Prime Minister who wanted to make doubly certain that his constituents, and those in the next-door constituency, kept their jobs up in Glasgow.

The initial contract was written in such a way that the cost to the taxpayer would have been greater to cancel the order for the two carriers rather than build them. And if cancelled, the only beneficiaries would have been the main contractors who would have made a huge profit for doing absolutely nothing except acknowledging the receipt of the notice to cancel.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3759694)   #2580
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Hope she doesn't have Petty Officer Pertwee on board. Who coincidentally was my favourite doctor.

See? Who needs SIX degrees of separation? Back to Bauble in two

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 16 Aug 2017, 09:09 (Ref:3759700)   #2581
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what gearbox it uses?
Old 16 Aug 2017, 10:35 (Ref:3759709)   #2582
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Anyone know what gearbox it uses?
hopefully not a Renault 16.........

Old 16 Aug 2017, 10:40 (Ref:3759710)   #2583
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Possibly, but more to do with a Prime Minister who wanted to make doubly certain that his constituents, and those in the next-door constituency, kept their jobs up in Glasgow.

The initial contract was written in such a way that the cost to the taxpayer would have been greater to cancel the order for the two carriers rather than build them. And if cancelled, the only beneficiaries would have been the main contractors who would have made a huge profit for doing absolutely nothing except acknowledging the receipt of the notice to cancel.
Clever. Was Blair PM?

Probably just as much of a problem now affording the planes to go with the carriers......
Old 16 Aug 2017, 10:55 (Ref:3759713)   #2584
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Clever. Was Blair PM?

Probably just as much of a problem now affording the planes to go with the carriers......
I think the order was announced just after Brown took over as PM.

It would certainly be interesting if the USA gave up on the F35.

Maybe BAE could build a few continuation Harriers?
Old 16 Aug 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3759715)   #2585
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blair initiated it, but Brown was the driving force behind it seeing as how it so positively impacted on the voters in his constituency.

The coalition government had to re-negotiate the contract when they came into power to stop the costs spiralling out of control, which they managed to do. However, the F35 suite of aircraft have been another matter over which the governments since 2010 have had no control over. Way over budget, and still suffering from teething problems.

The coalition government had to weigh up whether it was better value for money to go for a conventional catapult take-off with a larger carrier to cater for that type of aircraft, or choose the smaller carrier with STOL aircraft. The latter is claimed to be better value to the taxpayer, although the F35B aircraft is more expensive than the A or C variants. It is also way behind schedule.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3759719)   #2586
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
It would certainly be interesting if the USA gave up on the F35. Maybe BAE could build a few continuation Harriers?
We could have a 'historic' RAF, or did we sell off / scrap the old Harriers......

Or get a restoration company to build a new squadron of Hawker Sea Fury planes.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 11:40 (Ref:3759720)   #2587
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yes Mike I saw that too… French engineering evidence may be? The bridge shape is quite new but your Harriers dont need to be thrown like that. Not that I wish for but should you need one carrier before 2030 or 2040, actually Chinese are building some. Probably they won't loose their propeller as was the case for ours…
Old 16 Aug 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3759721)   #2588
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
We could have a 'historic' RAF, or did we sell off / scrap the old Harriers......

Or get a restoration company to build a new squadron of Hawker Sea Fury planes.
The irony of it all, I suppose, is that the MOD sold all the Harriers and stocks of spares to the US Marines who carried on using them after the UK decided that they were no longer economical to run, and there were no aircraft carriers for them to fly off!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3759725)   #2589
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
She's due to be fully operational for 2023 only…*Do you remember that our Charles de Gaulle carrier was too short for some aircraft to be used on her? Sooo French! At least you know how to spare money, yours needs only around 1000 operators while they use 4000 in the US.
I saw a BBC news report from the new carrier at lunchtime. It was mentioned that although the crew numbers are currently set at 700, the captain of the ship is already saying that it might need a few more...

Last edited by John Elwin; 16 Aug 2017 at 12:01. Reason: Correction
Old 16 Aug 2017, 12:06 (Ref:3759726)   #2590
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post

Humber ex WD Staff car
Vauxhall VX90
Morris Minor
Hillman Minx
Hillman Hunter
Vauxhall Cavaliers Mk1 & Mk3
Assorted Astras
Alfa Romeo Guiletta
Alfa Romeo GTV

What a boring selection of cars I have owned.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
At least you had some proper cars at the end of your list

Drove an HA Viva a few times - appalling car but had optional disc brakes that were mega for the time (very early 70s). Hired a few 1256cc Chevettes which were fun but underpowered for the chassis. Thinking about it I have had a few GM cars, but they were so forgettable I started typing "the only other one I've had was a Vectra" - then remembered that I bought a Cavalier in Devon when our Stiletto expired on Le Jog, and and had a Mk3 Astra diesel that I passed on to my Dad to wean him off Ladas.....

At work I had a Corsa Combi with the isuzu diesel which was OK, a CF recovery truck which was anaemic compared to the Transit that replaced it, and a TK Hiab wagon that was simply out-dated, and gave me "TK neck" from peering out under the screen toprail.

Thankfully I don't think I've ever owned a Renault - nearly bought an R5 Gordini in the late 70s but after a test drive I bought an Alfasud - I needed to be able to go round corners.......
Old 16 Aug 2017, 12:53 (Ref:3759737)   #2591
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
lancsbreaker
Quote:
At least you had some proper cars at the end of your list
Actually I have found that it is the driver that makes a good car, you can have all the power and handling you like but if you don't know how or are to scared to use it? !As a new driver I assumed that Ferraris. Porsches etc would not hold me up in my more humble transport. Wrong! You take whatever set of wheels you have and make the best of them, and no matter the car in front if the driver is a wally get passed and on your way. Much more fun than simply blasting along the M1 at 150mph.

With a 2.0 litre Mk1 Cavalier I would take on the world.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 13:01 (Ref:3759738)   #2592
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lancs, did you have a Vauxhall following your Alfasud to sweep up the rust and collect the engine when it fell out?

Old 16 Aug 2017, 13:28 (Ref:3759740)   #2593
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The GTV has a lot to recommend it, but it handled like a bowl of hot soup. in the wet especially.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 13:33 (Ref:3759741)   #2594
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Depends on what kind of GTV… Bertone or Alfetta? What kind of soup are you drinking? Home made, supermarket, bio? An the bowl …
Old 16 Aug 2017, 13:37 (Ref:3759742)   #2595
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Lancs, did you have a Vauxhall following your Alfasud to sweep up the rust and collect the engine when it fell out?

As a former owner of four Alfasuds over a period of 27 years, the last owned by us for 20 years, I refute your disparaging remarks!!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 14:11 (Ref:3759746)   #2596
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Robert knows the ropes… John, did you see how he "introduced" the AR subject, knowing perfectly we are some aficionados here. Smart a.. !
Just ask him if he captures his soup in the wild by hands or if his bowl is male or female and see what happens !!
Old 16 Aug 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3759747)   #2597
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Robert knows the ropes… John, did you see how he "introduced" the AR subject, knowing perfectly we are some aficionados here. Smart a.. !
Just ask him if he captures his soup in the wild by hands or if his bowl is male or female and see what happens !!
He probably makes his soup from the dodgy mushrooms he gets from a back-street market in Luton. That would affect his driving ability.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 14:45 (Ref:3759749)   #2598
bauble
Veteran

England
Ah! At last, now we can have a serious discussion on types, brands, canned, cuppa, soups, so much more interesting then Renault engines.
Old 16 Aug 2017, 14:52 (Ref:3759750)   #2599
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ah! At last, now we can have a serious discussion on types, brands, canned, cuppa, soups, so much more interesting then Renault engines.
Tell me who makes Mustard & Bacon soup & you just might earn some respect!

There's a challenge for you...
Old 16 Aug 2017, 15:53 (Ref:3759752)   #2600
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Tell me who makes Mustard & Bacon soup & you just might earn some respect!

There's a challenge for you...
My auntie Mavis - of course.