Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 25 May 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1618856)   #1
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top Speeds: Le Mans

Last year in the race, the Pesca hit 324kph top speed--according to the ACO.

I think the Pesca will be quicker this year but the Audi will havethe capacity sto slaughter all and sundry.

My guess for this year: Quali: Audi 340 kph
Race: Audi 330 kph

The Dome will also be quick but the torque of the diesel and, for qualification, the capacity to 'fuel up' to prodigious bhp will put the Audi on top of the totem pole in terms of top speed.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:13 (Ref:1618879)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Intersting topic. The R8 was not usually at the top of the heap in terms of top speed. They preferred to let the overall lap-time do the talking, which of course is the most important number.

I'd say the Dome will still be quick in a straight line. Perhaps Pescarolo will be up there to. But I'm quite intrigued to see how the R10 will stack up to the R8 in terms of speed and of course lap-time. Wish they hadn't altered the circuit this year so some real comparisons could be made.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1618888)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Intersting topic. The R8 was not usually at the top of the heap in terms of top speed. They preferred to let the overall lap-time do the talking, which of course is the most important number.
Wasn't this mainly in the later restricted years?

I think that the R10 will have a decent straight line speed. That engine can push it through the air quite well I beleive.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1618906)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Wasn't this mainly in the later restricted years?
Not 100% sure but I think the RFH domes have always been just about the quickest cars down the straights, the Audi's were never far behind up until around the 2005 race though. Still, with the R10 now on the scene and with massive diesel torque I think the R10 will be the fastest car at Le Mans this year on the straights, until 2007 at least anyway.
Old 25 May 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1618922)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take 2002, the year the R8 had pole with a 3:29.905. They were mid 320kph in comparison to the Dome, Bentley, and Courage C60, which were mid 330kph.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap03.html
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap02.html
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap01.html
http://www.mulsannescorner.com/trap00.html

Last edited by jhansen; 25 May 2006 at 19:52.
Old 25 May 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1619006)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for the link reminder.

It is a bit of both, I feel. What I like best is the relative differences of the cars between practice and the race. The R8 was always more 'competitive' top speed wise in the race.
Old 26 May 2006, 12:06 (Ref:1619422)   #7
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Because of the aerodynamic restrictions, the top speeds should not exceed 325 km/h. The R10 will make the most of their acceleration capacity.
Old 26 May 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1619817)   #8
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the drag figures are less than 10% higher for new LMP1s... and the R8 was a 2000 chassis much bigger (frontal area-wise) than the more sculpted R10. And lift-to-drag has progressed a lot: all LMP1s are producing more downforce (a sensible increase) on a more stable (easier to exploit) aero platform. And engine power has gone up more than 100 horses compared to last year's restricted but still capable of 320+ kph.The Lola has a few hundred pounds more downforce (than the Dyson B01-60) for a drag increase closer to 5% than to 10% I think.

So I think the top speed are gonna be in high 330s for balanced cars like the Audi and could be surprisingly close to 350 for cars like the Dome or maybe the new Courage... What was Pescarolo's top speed last year? I'd guess in the mid 330s... with a wing that was replaced at the very next race (not fully developped at last year's race) And the efficiency gain of an R10 is gonna see the cars under the 3:30 barrier I guess...

Last edited by Félix; 26 May 2006 at 21:35.
Old 26 May 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1619849)   #9
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the pescarolo only got 324kmph which is about 200/201 mph which is frankly rubbish for a LMP1 car but on the DVD it said that in practice the pescarolo got 218mph in practice so maybe this year the hybrid cars will be faster than last year maybe, dome's i dont think are quite as fast as they were in their previous LMP900 form but i think that the fastest car in a straight line will be the swiss spirit courage or the creation CA06H for sure at around 210mph maybe even 215mph
Old 26 May 2006, 22:53 (Ref:1619856)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Teams may well go in the opposite direction, increased power may encourage them to run increased downforce levels for a quicker, more comfortable lap.
Old 27 May 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1620024)   #11
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Félix And engine power has gone up more than 100 horses compared to last year's restricted but still capable of 320+ kph.

So I think the top speed are gonna be in high 330s for balanced cars like the Audi and could be surprisingly close to 350 for cars like the Dome or maybe the new Courage...[/QUOTE]

The pesca (last year's polesitter) will have very little difference in horsepower.. The new GV5 may have a bit more but only maginal from a top speed perspective (maybe 1 kph)

I just noticed that the cars are running a small Gurney as part of the regs. That will reduce top speed by a lot. Was the Gurney mandatory last year? If so, I will have to lower my own estimates by roughly 5 clicks.
Old 27 May 2006, 13:11 (Ref:1620174)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
The pesca (last year's polesitter) will have very little difference in horsepower.. The new GV5 may have a bit more but only maginal from a top speed perspective (maybe 1 kph)

I just noticed that the cars are running a small Gurney as part of the regs. That will reduce top speed by a lot. Was the Gurney mandatory last year? If so, I will have to lower my own estimates by roughly 5 clicks.
The mandatory rear wing gurney is new this year.
Old 27 May 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1620311)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam

I'm glad to see the ACO are intorducing things like the gurney to cut top speeds at Le Mans.

It's a clever way to cap top speeds at this unique circuit while having little effect, if any, on regular, slower, higher downforce tracks.
Old 29 May 2006, 17:53 (Ref:1622235)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont agree with that at all . The drivers are always screaming out for more power , and i feel that as they are the ones in the seat , they should get to make that call .

A certain Mr.Wallace is always looking for more power .
Old 29 May 2006, 18:01 (Ref:1622240)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I dont agree with that at all . The drivers are always screaming out for more power , and i feel that as they are the ones in the seat , they should get to make that call .

A certain Mr.Wallace is always looking for more power .
And these days they have plenty of power once again.

Point is, top speeds at Le Mans, which is a pretty unique track, need to be kept in check.

Rather than cutting power or drastically changing the cars, it makes more sense to add little aero devices such as Gruneys to keep top speeds in check.

Better still, they have little effect on high downforce tracks were speeds are not an issue.
Old 29 May 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1622402)   #16
canam
Veteran

It will be very interesting to see the top speed of the R10.

While they may give more downforce in the set-up, we may be able to get a good idea on how much power the car has. Theoretically, they could have 700 plus bhp--giving another 10 kph on the straght than any other car.
Old 30 May 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1622747)   #17
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there a different restrictor size this year ?
Old 30 May 2006, 13:35 (Ref:1622949)   #18
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The thing with the restrictors is that the older cars ran smaller ones than the newer cars are allowed.

BTW, would that LC2 in your forum alias be in reference to the Lancia LC2 Group C car?
Old 30 May 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1622963)   #19
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist
BTW, would that LC2 in your forum alias be in reference to the Lancia LC2 Group C car?
Certainly is. Its my favourite ever Le mans car. ( particularly in Martini colours )
Old 30 May 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1623131)   #20
canam
Veteran

Quote:
The thing with the restrictors is that the older cars ran smaller ones than the newer cars are allowed.

In the LMS and Le Mans, Hybrids (older converted cars--Zytek, Pesca, Creation) have the same restrictor size as the new cars.
Old 30 May 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1623309)   #21
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
And these days they have plenty of power once again.

Point is, top speeds at Le Mans, which is a pretty unique track, need to be kept in check.

Rather than cutting power or drastically changing the cars, it makes more sense to add little aero devices such as Gruneys to keep top speeds in check.

Better still, they have little effect on high downforce tracks were speeds are not an issue.
ah but remeber the cars in a straight line despite their large amount of power are barely quicker than the LMP2's now which in my opinion is wrong because the LMP2 cars are basically quicker at a lot of tracks than the LMP1's which is a bit worrying, i think really they should make the cars a bit quicker in a straight to the point were the fastest they will get is 210-212mph which is not really that much to ask since these new hybrid cars should do those speeds without much hassle not barely doing 200mph and with these gruney things speeds will nor probably go below 200mph which is going a bit too far now since lemans is probably the fasest race track in europe and the only cars that race on them are becoming slower and slower and slower and now that the LMP2's are just as fast as the LMP1's it should be a wake up call to the ACO that they should reduce the drag on the cars to bring speeds up to the point were the LMP2 cars are not as fast and faster on many tracks than the LMP1's but i do agree that speeds should be kept in check but not going too far, fastest in my opinion with lower downforce is 210mph to basically avoid another mercedes CLR incident from 1999, i would love a return to the 3.5L group C formula of the early 1990's but this form of racing would die because those cars cost so much to run and only the big teams could have a chance of winning while with the current rules smaller teams have a genuine chance of winning but i say "NON" to slowing down the cars this much and "OUI" to top speeds of over 205mph atleast its really only my opinion but i feel this safety and speed kills thing is going a bit too far now, it shouldnt be ignored but it should not go this far were lower category cars are as fast as the fastest and most expensive cars
Old 31 May 2006, 01:34 (Ref:1623457)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The new areo package, without the Gurney, makes the cars much less likely to lift off than the old GT1s (Mercedes CLR, Porsche 911 GT1-98). The new prototypes are much less attitude sensitive.
Old 31 May 2006, 14:25 (Ref:1623846)   #23
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The new areo package, without the Gurney, makes the cars much less likely to lift off than the old GT1s (Mercedes CLR, Porsche 911 GT1-98). The new prototypes are much less attitude sensitive.
I definately agree with you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I am pretty sure JJ Lehto brought the front end of the Champion R8 up in the air at Laguna Seca last year (6 inches). It was right over the hill on the front strait. The Speed broadcast said that JJ did an excellent job of keeping the car on the ground. I think he was trailing a GT2 car, and going much slower than the Porsche and Mercedes incidents.

Anyone else remember this?
Old 31 May 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1623852)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lets not forget that the hump that was on the Mulsanne where the Mercedes CLR took off on has now been lowered by 1.5 metres. I forget what year exactly this happened on but I think the change was made in time for the 2003 race.
Old 31 May 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1623884)   #25
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype
I definately agree with you, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. I am pretty sure JJ Lehto brought the front end of the Champion R8 up in the air at Laguna Seca last year (6 inches). It was right over the hill on the front strait. The Speed broadcast said that JJ did an excellent job of keeping the car on the ground. I think he was trailing a GT2 car, and going much slower than the Porsche and Mercedes incidents.

Anyone else remember this?

............and the R8 is from the same era rules as the CLR/GT-ONE/V12 LMR etc.

The R10 is the first Audi built to the new regs.