Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 Jun 2006, 12:37 (Ref:1637173)   #1
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV to drive Le Mans in '07?

I wasnt sure if this should be tagged onto the end of the JV-Toyota thread or not, so if a mod knows of a better place to put this, please do.

Yesterday when I was watching the end of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, one of the Speed channel commentators was talking about the '07 Peugeot 2007 Le Mans Diesel V12 Prototype that was going to go up against the Audi. At one point somebody (and forgive me as I dont know who said it) said that JV, Panis, and one other F1 driver (bad memory, not sure if it was current or past driver) were almost certain to join up and run the 24 Hours for Peugeot. Just thought I would pass it along. Found it quite interesting myself.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1637240)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So he's definitely not going to be at BMW next year then?
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:32 (Ref:1637261)   #3
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I have a strange feeling that certain members of Speed Channel are also members of ten/tenths.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1637268)   #4
Michael Edick
Racer

United States
Pine Grove, CA
Michael Edick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that would be fantastic!

has JV ever driven anything else besides single seaters in his career?
Old 19 Jun 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1637333)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Edick
has JV ever driven anything else besides single seaters in his career?
Villeneuve did a few races in the Italian Touring Car Championship in '88 in a Salerno Corse run Alfa Romeo 33.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 18:46 (Ref:1637395)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
I At one point somebody (and forgive me as I dont know who said it) said that JV, Panis, and one other F1 driver (bad memory, not sure if it was current or past driver) were almost certain to join up and run the 24 Hours for Peugeot.
That must mean they know that JV won't be in F1 next year as no F1 team would allow their current driver to race in something like Le Man's whilst they are driving in F1.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1637401)   #7
curveball
Racer

United States
Michigan
curveball should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWIW, Franck Montagny raced in one of the Prototypes this year...Actually he was in the #17 Pescarolo that finished 2nd overall!

Last edited by curveball; 19 Jun 2006 at 19:02.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:08 (Ref:1637412)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball
FWIW, Franck Montagny raced in one of the Prototypes this year...Actually he was in the #17 Pescarolo that finished 2nd overall!
No doubt the deal was done for him to race Le Mans before he got the SA race drive.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1637432)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
Villeneuve did a few races in the Italian Touring Car Championship in '88 in a Salerno Corse run Alfa Romeo 33.
He also drove those wonderful Toyota sportscars in the early 90's alongside folk like Eddie Irvine, mainly in Japan.

Never did Le Mans though I don't think, unlike Eddie.
Old 19 Jun 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1637433)   #10
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
How did he do in that series?
Old 19 Jun 2006, 20:13 (Ref:1637451)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
How did he do in that series?
Not that well, I think he got a 10th place on his debut at Enna and had a further two outtings, although I am unsure as to his results in these races. To be fair, these were his first races and had no karting to fall back on. Plus the Italian Touring Car Championship, at the time, was quite competitive.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 14:03 (Ref:1640287)   #12
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques always said he wanted to win Le Mans to ensure he'd won the three most important things to him: LM, F1 WDC and the Indy 500. But he said he'd have to do it as soon as he retired from F1...
Old 24 Jun 2006, 15:17 (Ref:1640314)   #13
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Jacques must have the Le Mans 24 Hours on his career to do list.

The 'Triple Crown' of motor racing has to be the most exclusive club in the world, with only one member - Graham Hill. Jacques has never struck me as the type of driver to chase records but that one has to be hard to resist.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:38 (Ref:1640360)   #14
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And JV would become the only driver in history to win the IndyCar championship, Indy 500, F1 WDC, and Le Mans. Keep in mind he won the last real Indy 500 (after being 2 laps down!) and the IndyCar title in the year before the split.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1640371)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans? Sportscar? If he races in that he'll be a sportscar driver, so this needs moving. Besides a forum can have too many JV threads.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1640372)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy
And JV would become the only driver in history to win the IndyCar championship, Indy 500, F1 WDC, and Le Mans. Keep in mind he won the last real Indy 500 (after being 2 laps down!) and the IndyCar title in the year before the split.
Graham Hill has done the big three. However I see you throw in the Indycar championship to make it more. However as two are big races then I think the trinity is Monaco, Indy and Le Mans.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 16:58 (Ref:1640373)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Is JV a driver that can do Le Mans? He seems to drive for the race nowadays rather than Q.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1640403)   #18
Animeishdwarf
Rookie

United States
Pennsylvania
Animeishdwarf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it'd be interesting to see how F1 drivers do in the ways of GT/Endurance racing. I mean F1 drivers are supposed to be the best in the world, no? I think it'd be very interesting.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 18:13 (Ref:1640416)   #19
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 drivers are constantly having to alter their pace or aim for target laptimes throughout a race so the style of endurance racing shouldn't be all that alien to them.

I guess the biggest potential problem for career F1 guys like JV would be getting used to the night racing and negotiating with slower traffic every lap.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 18:24 (Ref:1640427)   #20
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV had a Audi R8 seat a few years ago, but he didnt got the ok from Honda
Old 24 Jun 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1640447)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Although the trinity of races Adam mentiones is probably the correct way to view it, it's not the way the title has been presented over here. That comes mostly from Mario Andretti's supporters (and I guess from Mario himself) as he's always wanted the overall win at LM to complete the trio. (Of course, he'd add the Daytona 500 to the list, then.)

I'm all for JV doing the ALMS and LM.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jun 2006, 20:33 (Ref:1640496)   #22
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would be great if JV drove in sportscars.

IMO, he's a real racer, who competes for the thrill rather than the cash.

Also, IMO, he's second only to Schumacher in the most talented F1 driver stakes of the last 10 years, but the racer in him could'n t deal with the F1 politics.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 22:57 (Ref:1640573)   #23
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
At least Villeneuve (Newtown?) has a bit of character, him and Mrs Irvine's Boy Edmund have been the only people in F1 that have been worth following in the last decade (why do I still hear my late grandmother saying "'deck aids' are things that assist sailors" whenever I type that word?)* or so.

* cold drinks have been taken.
Old 24 Jun 2006, 23:48 (Ref:1640590)   #24
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be great to see JV competing at Le Mans. Once he's done that he can go on to do Petit Le Mans & the Daytona 24 hours! I don't think he'd ever be persuaded to do the Nurburgring 24 hours though. If he did manage to do all those (coz he'll never do the Daytona 500. He's said he doesn't want to do NASCAR) he'd certainly have a claim at the best all round driver ever.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion