Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 3 Jan 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2098716)   #1
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
PI data logging

I am thinking of getting a new laptop after mine was stolen. All the new ones seem to come with Microsoft Vista installed. Has anyone had any issues running PI data logging software with Vista?
Old 3 Jan 2008, 23:53 (Ref:2098952)   #2
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes lots it doesnt work
Old 4 Jan 2008, 09:08 (Ref:2099127)   #3
kartingdad
Veteran

So how have you sorted it then? Don't suppose you have a second hand lappy for sale?
Old 4 Jan 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2099140)   #4
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a general problem with vista and data logging or is it exclusive to PI ? We need to get a laptop for the FR2000 data loggers so this issue could well be relevant to us.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2099148)   #5
kartingdad
Veteran

I have a feeling that the general opinion of Vista is that it is a pretty poor product with lots of incompatability issues that are not restricted to PI.

Microsofts stance appears to be, 'Here's our product, it's not up to us to make sure your (e.g. PI, xxxbrand of printer etc.) software works with it, its the other way round.'

In the meantime the customers are not only left holding the baby, its one that appears to have messed its nappy!
Old 4 Jan 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2099226)   #6
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
******s I have just bought a new laptop too....

So best to delete Viasta and install windows XP then? Must say don't really like it anyway.

Want to run Pi Club Expert data from a System 2 dash when purchase new car.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 4 Jan 2008, 18:27 (Ref:2099421)   #7
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too have heard it doesn't work.

I would try and buy a new old stock xp laptop off ebay andy. Would be cheap too.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 13:06 (Ref:2100592)   #8
kartingdad
Veteran

I've just installed PI on my new Vista lappy, and it does't work. Tried running it i varuios compatability modes, ut wont load up the data files, although it can see the files.

Great.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2100703)   #9
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Arty B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartingdad
I am thinking of getting a new laptop after mine was stolen. All the new ones seem to come with Microsoft Vista installed. Has anyone had any issues running PI data logging software with Vista?

Depends on the System. Pi 3 needs Windows 98 or 95. £40 will get you a reasonable Toshiba on eBay with freshly installed 98.
Old 8 Jan 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2101857)   #10
kartingdad
Veteran

Got this reply from a nice bloke at PI. In the end, I just copied the entire PI folder from my XP machine to my lappy and it works fine!!!

Thanks Robin at Pi.

Andy,

Sorry for not calling back yesterday, I was trying out a version of CEW on Vista to see what would work. The version I am using (1.3.0.9) seems to install fine on Vista. It also runs and views data if the licence file is installed correctly and the .dat data directories are correctly copied to C:\Program Files\Pi Club Windows. Each circuit should have a directory named <circuit>.dat (e,g, Silverstone.dat) and each of these directories contains a number of files named <driver><outing>.s2a (e.g. Andy001.s2a). They may also contain other files. If the folders are set up this way you should be able to select a track then an outing when CEW loads.

Microsoft changed the way they handle serial data in Vista which breaks the system CEW uses to talk to the logger and download data. Also, if you are using a USB to serial converter the drivers required for Vista are different. The correct driver for most USB serial converters can be downloaded from (http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/coold...l-adapters.zip) *. This said, we have seen CEW downloading from a logger using Vista once. You may need to change the compatibility mode settings for the CEW application and settings in device manager for the USB serial converter to make it work.

CEW and Windows Vista is an unsupported combination. Windows XP is the only supported operating system for the near future. It is still possible to purchase a laptop with XP pre-installed from Dell and Lenovo. Alternatively, it is possible to obtain a Windows XP licence and install Windows XP onto the laptop. There are instructions online which tell you how you can dual-boot Vista and XP (run both on the same machine) here http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Robin

* This is not Pi supplied or supported software, it may work with your converter but it may not. We have seen it work with the majority (including the ones we sell).

Last edited by bella; 13 May 2009 at 19:11. Reason: removed personal details